MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

A few important notes for RADEON VII owners:

- Core voltage slider in MSI AB is supposed to be locked on RVII, that’s normal and by design. On the previous AMD GPUs the slider provided direct voltage control mode implemented via low-level access to SMC or voltage controller (slider position defined either full target voltage override or P-State independent voltage offset) and such voltage adjustment form was required because native AMD driver’s voltage adjustment range was too low. On RVII series cards AMD driver allows up to 1.2V overvoltage (from default 1V) and voltage control is provided in MSI AB at voltage/frequency curve editor level. So simply open the editor (either press VF editor button in the skin next to core clock slider or hit <Ctrl>+<F> keyboard shortcut to open the editor) and you’ll be able to adjust voltage there.
    - Temperature limit slider is also supposed to be locked by design on RVII, it was a part of old AMD fan control algorithm. It is gone with Adrenalin 2019 drivers family when fan curve adjustment approach was introduced by AMD. So it is no longer adjustable in AMD driver and supposed to be locked now.
    - Voltage/frequency editor is allowing you to adjust frequencies and voltages independently for all 3 V/F curve points (or 3 P-States), however AMD driver and RVII architecture put some restrictions on the curve editing approach. So the curve will be corrected according to the following limitations when you apply it:
    o You can adjust the frequency independently for the first and the last point only. Middle point frequency cannot be adjusted independently, frequencies are always linearly interpolated from the first point to the last point. So if you try to adjust frequency for the middle point, it will be corrected according to interpolation rule mentioned above right after applying new settings
    o Unlike the frequencies, you can independently adjust voltages for all 3 points
    o You cannot set frequencies and voltages below the minimum (which is rather strict and very close to default). This puts some limitations on lower P-State downclocking/downvolting
    - 2 GPU temperatures displayed by MSI AB hardware monitoring module are mapped to edge and junction temperatures. 4 displayed VRM temperatures are mapped to core VRM, SOC VRM and 2 memory VRM sensors. AMD’s fan curve is using junction temperature for their fan speed adjustment. I’m not sure if it is really good idea because it is skyrocketing to 100C area pretty rapidly when GPU is busy, that’s actually direct reason why RVII cooling is so loud by default. Opposing to that, MSI AB’s software fan curve implementation is still using traditional edge temperature sensor. Probably I’ll add an ability to select input thermal sensor for software fan curve adjustment in future versions, but honestly I’m not sure if it worth the efforts
    - Currently AMD's own GPU usage sensor is suffering from pretty bad 0%->100%->0% fluctuations. Similar issues affected some old GPUs in the past but it is much worse on RVII now. I believe that it is what they mean with "Performance metrics overlay and Radeon WattMan gauges may experience inaccurate fluctuating readings on AMD Radeon VII" in the driver's known issues, so there is a hope to see a fix from AMD in future. I remind you that it is possible to get rid of such fluctuations via enabling unified GPU usage monitoring in MSI AB properties, however this option depends on DirectX GPU usage performance counter and this counter requires OS and display driver WDDM versions to match. Current AMD drivers are targeted to WDDM 2.5 OS (October Update), so this option will only help you if you have 1809 OS version installed. Otherwise you'll see zero GPU usage all the time after enabling it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Haldi, GSDragoon and JonasBeckman like this.
  2. Unwinder

Decided to give it a try, just purchased and tested to see that everything is working properly here. Evil you, are you working on Ubisoft Kiev and helping them to sell the game?:D:D:D

HARDRESET likes this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Alexey I don't think you've made me laugh like this since the old Unreal Tournament days! :)

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Oh, I'm sorry! In my circumstances (Win 10 1709, 1080Ti, last MSIAB beta before the Radeon VII updates) Trials Rising is giving me resolution and display mode issues with RTSS active. I can even turn off RTSS in game and all of a sudden things work perfectly. Also, not working for Ubi Kiev. I'm in Texas. :)
    Glad you got a laugh, but I'm sorry I had Unwinder buy the game to have zero issues with it...

5. ToastGrande

ToastGrande Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I have another enhancement request:

1. Add a warning/indicator when one of the two cards in an SLI config have had a driver crash and reverted to stock settings. That is, if the cards, via no interaction with AB, become set to something other than the last applied settings, indicate it on the main window.

I've got a pair of 2080ti's in SLI. Occasionally, card 2 driver will crash because the curve may be too aggressive for the temp, causing the setting to revert to stock. If I have the card selected in AB, then I can see that the sliders are at default and can adjust and re-apply the overclock. If the card isn't selected, I may not notice it until something is really pushing the cards and it becomes obvious.

Question: Is it possible with skins to have both cards and their respective settings displayed at the same time?

6. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    There is the right place to post such things:
    MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

This thread is about testing and reporting bugs of newly integrated features in the latest beta release.

7. Unwinder

Well, I’ve analyzed feedback on RVII support in MSI AB in different places and it looks like “Where is my core voltage slider?” is the most popular question. Even Hilbert asked me about it right after installing the beta on his PC with RVII :) I’ve posted clarifications about new approach of controlling voltage on RVIII at V/F curve editor level a couple posts above in this thread, but I’m sure that such questions won’t stop and I’ll need to redirect users to this post again and again. The power of habits is strong thing. So I think that it would be good idea to simply tie voltage control slider to highest P-State voltage for RVII. So it will not add new functionality, it will just duplicate existing voltage/frequency curve editor GUI for those who is used to old voltage control implementation (so you’ll be able to drag voltage slider and see how highest P-State voltage changes in VF editor in realtime, and vice versa).

Also, a few ideas on fluctuating GPU usage. When similar problem was introduced in the past with AMD ADL API for Hawaii GPUs, MSI AB added special GPU usage filtering algorithm for minimizing such fluctuations. The algorithm included forcible delays and yielding CPU time immediately before polling AMD ADL GPU usage sensor (the problem in ADL implementation is CPU usage related) and reporting averaged value of GPU usage instead of immediate one. Filtering algorithm was abandoned after introducing more robust unified GPU usage monitoring solution, however it is still inside MSI AB. I guess it would be useful to reenable it for RVII, so those who cannot enable unified GPU usage monitoring (due to reasons explained above) will be able to get less jerky and more smooth GPU usage reporting.

8. Unwinder

I've implemented both enhancements mentioned in the previous post. So I guess... beta 16 is around the corner ;)

The1 and Andy_K like this.
  9. gran172

gran172 Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2060 6Gb
    So this is *kind of* related to Afterburner but I'm not sure where else to ask. I've tried OCCT with error checking and OC Scanner's Test mode to check for artifacts (using the auto OC from OC Scanner). OCCT says my GPU does artifact, OC Scanner says I don't (90% confidence), which should I trust?

10. Unwinder

I cannot comment NVIDIA’s propiertary implementation.

11. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Sounds like a good idea.

Bwt, anyone tried the Overlay in State of Decay? That seems to be an Xbox game running on Windows.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...g-step-towards-putting-xbox-games-on-windows/

12. Unwinder

Forgot to document that beta 16 also includes newer version of RTSS. The only change in v7.2.1 beta 6 is improved compatibility with some 2D apps using Direct3D1x for hardware acceleration:

- Improved compatibility with multithreaded Direct3D1x applications, using multiple DXGI swapchains and concurrently accessing them from different threads (e.g. Microsoft Photos UWP application)

toyo likes this.
  13. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    I know the feeling, i never pay full price!
    you know who got me?
    Concluding
    Right, it is time to conclude things. Metro: Exodus is a terrific game in terms of gameplay and atmosphere
    Have to say,it was worth every pinching penny!

14. Unwinder

I think we'll spend this week on testing and most likely release final 4.6.0 on the next week.

SpajdrEX likes this.
  15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Risking to receive nothing but hatred, but: Does the profile saving feature work for anybody who has altered pstates on Polaris? When I click the save button, the profile number buttons start flashing, but I can't click them.
    With Adrenalin 19.2.3 & latest AB, thankfully the bad fan behavior after changing pstates doesn't occur anymore.

I found out that RTSS OSD statistics work again when disabling the display of fps/frametimes inside of AB. Is there a way to make it display the used 3D rendering API at the same time? Perhaps RTSS statistics should do that as well?

16. Unwinder

Those who do not post questions in attacking form and do not try to insult are able to get something useful besides hatred in response. Amazing, isn't it?
    Profiles will not be saved if you make profile contents empty yourself by uncheck both "Hardware settings" and "Monitoring settings" in [Profile contents] in "Profiles" tab.

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Thanks, I suppose I forgot about me unticking the checkbox before.

18. Crow1001uk

Crow1001uk Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Frametime graph is not showing, have to use RSS 7.02 to get it back.

19. Unwinder

Please invest 5 minutes into reading RTSS 7.2.1 release notes, it is documented when and why RTSS is hiding own frametime history graph and benchmark statistics now. Seriously, guys, why do I document changes if nobody reads it?

HARDRESET likes this.
  20. Unwinder

I've compiled non-beta build of MSI AB 4.6.0 and RTSS 7.2.1 for our final internal pre-release tests in Guru3D and MSI. There are no functional changes comparing to beta 16, just final GUI/skin/localization updates. Official launch is scheduled on the end of this week. Both MSI 4.6.0 (with RTSS 7.2.1 in bundle) and separate RTSS 7.2.1 distributive will be launched and become visible to update servers. Stay tuned!

bigcid1, toyo, Raffster and 4 others like this.