Diagnosis and Gnosis

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by neeeksta, Feb 28, 2019.

1. neeeksta

neeeksta Guest

GPU:
    Giggley bite 1080 t
    Hey team, to tell you the truth I am not sure what section my problem is best posted in.
    A few months ago I upgraded from a 980ti to a 1080ti, and I seem to make a boo boo, by not fully doing the DDU and installing fresh drivers for it.
    There were some game crashing problems which following the proper procedure of uninstalling and installing new drivers properly fixed.

Although there are some sort of artifacts as Windows boots up, which is why I am not sure if this is the section to post this in.
    Is it possible there is some hardware glitch .. as I never saw these flickery lines with my 980ti.

I had played the latest Tomb Raider and a modded New Vegas without any crashes.

Recently upgraded to 419.17 .. and have started Metro Exodus and AC Odyssey.
    Metro has CTD a couple of times without warning and I can't find an error message or log.
    Odyssey freezes but the audio keeps going.
    The event viewer says the old cryptic "the program "ACOdyssey.exe" version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was "closed."
    I checked integrity of files in Steam, blah blah so, I am out of ideas.

I have a pretty reputable PSU - an EVGA SuperNOVA 750.
    In Aida64 and in BIOS it shows good voltage.
    Windows 10 ... not that I have done any re installations of that at all, ( I hope that's not an issue )
    My 4770k and 1080ti are not o/c at all

I normally try and figure out my problems but this one is a more than my tired old brain can handle.
    2 new amazing looking games and I am locked out by the technical horned one and his minions!

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed :)

2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Format and reinstall Windows, trust me.

3. neeeksta

neeeksta Guest

GPU:
    Giggley bite 1080 t
    Yay verily, in earlier times, I wouldn't have hesitated .. as it would solve a lot of weird stuff .. and it still may be the easiest option, thanks for the input.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    " some sort of artifacts as Windows boots up" sounds ominous. Like nothing good can come from that.
    Everyone is a suspect. Is your monitor OK?

1) You really wanna have a healthy Win installation to help you with the troubleshooting. But if you can't wipe, or you can't install a 2nd-ary Win installation, then go to

2) Use some sort of live CD. Linux/Win/Boot-Tools. Live CDs come in many flavors. Pick your poison and boot it. Then do some all around digging and torturing your cpu/mem/gpu.
    Your goal is to crash the system or to produce any kind of error. There are two possibilities:

a) Everything looking fine - then it very well might be an issue with your Win installation.

b) Something goes wrong - now you know it's a hw issue. Because live CDs are spotless.

(*)Next step is to identify the offender. Try the other PCIe slot.
    Then pull out 1080 Ti, and use your integrated Intel HD graphics (CPU) to power your display and spend a day or two investigating the state of your rig w/o 1080 Ti.
    If all is fine, then it's either 1080Ti or PSU.

It's time consuming, but unless you get lucky it can't be helped.

PS
    You might wanna skip straight to (*) since 1080Ti is the most suspect.

5. neeeksta

neeeksta Guest

GPU:
    Giggley bite 1080 t
    some sort of artifacts as Windows boots up" sounds ominous. Like nothing good can come from that.
    Everyone is a suspect. Is your monitor OK?

Yea, not great to see flickering .. and I have a G Sync 144 Hz ROG Swift which set me back the price of a small tropical island so I am hoping it's fine, and it gives no trouble I see no problems in game.

1) You really wanna have a healthy Win installation to help you with the troubleshooting. But if you can't wipe, or you can't install a 2nd-ary Win installation, then go to

2) Use some sort of live CD. Linux/Win/Boot-Tools. Live CDs come in many flavors. Pick your poison and boot it. Then do some all around digging and torturing your cpu/mem/gpu.
    Your goal is to crash the system or to produce any kind of error. There are two possibilities:

Everything looking fine - then it very well might be an issue with your Win installation.

b) Something goes wrong - now you know it's a hw issue. Because live CDs are spotless.

Yea, typing this out aired my feelings that the first port of call is a new Win install, as I haven't done one for a few years which is some kind of record for me .. but life has been ... distracting .. and so think the time has come.

(*)Next step is to identify the offender. Try the other PCIe slot.
    Then pull out 1080 Ti, and use your integrated Intel HD graphics (CPU) to power your display and spend a day or two investigating the state of your rig w/o 1080 Ti.
    If all is fine, then it's either 1080Ti or PSU.

It's time consuming, but unless you get lucky it can't be helped.

PS
    You might wanna skip straight to (*) since 1080Ti is the most suspect

Yes indeed I wondered about testing a different slot to see what would happen.
    Time consuming yes, but that's why we tootle in sheds with our computers right?

Thank you so much for feedback and suggestions - moff to wrestle with the demons of a new Win 10 install!
    :p

6. neeeksta

neeeksta Guest

GPU:
    Giggley bite 1080 t
    Well that went incredibly well!

All good and solved all sorts of niggles, I used an evilly simple thing that has apparently been round since Win 8 called Reset .. a big thanks to the folk that helped me! :D