The RTX 2080 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JoonyDoom, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Runifyoucanz

Runifyoucanz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FTW3
    I thought I'd ask here. I just built a new rig with an i5 9600k OC at 5.1mhz, 16gb of 3600 ram (2 dims down clocked to 3300), RTX 2080 FTW3 with a Asus Maximus 11 Formula board. For storage, 256gb ssd os drive, 1tb ssd storage and a 500gb m.2 drive. My monitor, Asus Rog 2560*1440 144hz but I'm not OC to 165hz.

My issue I'm running into is, it seems like this rig doesn't pull the FPS that others seem to pull with less power. Reading over this forum I've seen people pulling on average of 70fps @ 4k or even higher playing SOTR. I'm running all my games at 1440 and games like Anthem, SOTR and even RE2 Remake, I have to run the games at medium or even lower or even lower the res down to 1080 to get higher than 60fps. I think the highest I've seen my new rig hit was around 100fps with 1080 res set to medium settings on games.

With this said, am I wrong to think I should be getting more out of my rig? Am I missing something with my OCing?

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Doesn't sound right. a 9600k with a 2080 should play pretty much any game at 1440p maxed well over 60fps. Most of the time you should be seeing 80-110 fps in games, there's obviously exceptions, like Metro with raytracing, but even there I pull 60-80fps with ultra settings and raytracing on, with some drops to 50s (still feels good thanks to Gsync).

From what I've tried of Anthem, it's a terribly optimised game, but I only played it for 10 minutes or so, haven't tried SOTR or RE2 though.

One thing you don't mention is your PSU. What PSU do you have?

3. Runifyoucanz

Runifyoucanz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FTW3
    1300w Seasonic 80+ Platinum If I remember right. I'll double check that when I get back to my home office. That's what I was thinking as well. After all my research on each part (with the help of other IT tech and Linix and Gamer Nexus) I was thinking I'd get at least the numbers you said. G-sync is great for sure.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Install MSI afterburner and monitor the GPU's stats (esp core clocks) in a game. Seen a similar issue to yours of someone else and his core clock would not go above 1350mhz for some reason.

5. Runifyoucanz

Runifyoucanz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FTW3
    This is something I really didn't think about looking at. You have a good point. I've been watching loads and VRAM but not the mhz. Seeing how the card comes preOC I just threw it over the shoulder to believe it would sit at its 1850 to 1950mhz boosted speeds. I'll check this when I get back to the home office. Thank you!

6. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Well.. I bought a Gigabyte 2080 about 2 weeks ago.. was running great. Was playing the new Metro and out of no where BLACK SCREEN. Temp never hit 80.. not 77. So I tried it again. And when I get into the game...just stops. So.. EVERY game I tried does this now.. testing in another computer.. does the same thing. So.. they are sending sent back.. to get replaced.. free.. but.. wow.

7. Runifyoucanz

Runifyoucanz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FTW3
    Testing at my home office and sure enough the stock speeds are at 1350mhz. Pushed the card to 2100mhz for 15mins, never got over 60c in temp. Now to fix my CPU issue of underclocking from 5.1mhz when underload and maybe I can hit some FPS in games.

8. Ferdimage1

Ferdimage1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Couldnt get a definite answer from Reddit, so I thought I'll come back here.

Is it worth upgrading from a GTX1070 to a RTX2080 , paired up with 3770K clocked at 4.5ghz. Playing games at 1440p 165hz monitor and 750w psu.
    At the moment Dirt Rally 2.0 is just touching 60-70 fps with some setting turned low or off.
    FC new dawn is around 66fps on high.

Will I see a boost or my Cpu holding me back?

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Short Answer: CPU will hold you back.

If you lower your game settings and don't see your GPU being utilized above 90%, RTX2080 won't improve frames much.
    RTX2080 would be good if you want to get more eye candies and get closer to ULTRA settings, without sacrificing much FPS.

If you after better frames to utilize your 165hz panel, you need faster CPU and keep game video settings modetate, so GTX1070 doesn't cap.

CPU load tends to be static, while GPU is more depended on game video settings and resolution.

Anyway, you need to figure out if you want more frames or better visuals.

EDIT: see graph below how figures changed since 3770k

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Ferdimage1 likes this.
  10. Ferdimage1

Ferdimage1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Thank you for the detailed help guys, it has helped with my decision to hold for the mean time.
    Maybe a used 1080ti will be better suited yeah?

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    the 1080ti and the RTX2080 are about the same just the RTX has newer options and potentially more performance through drivers and tech

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont know what res timespy is based on, but @ 1440p he should be OK with 4.5ghz 3770k. Last year Hilbert did a review on a 2600k and it (as most CPUs in the test) was holding up well in all the games tested @ 1440p. Granted he used a gtx1080, but still, doubt it would be a huge difference with anything else. Of course, big differences @ 1080p, but... look at @1440p results.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag...0kthe_2018_review_time_for_an_upgrade,18.html

Ferdimage1 likes this.

13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    The more you ramp up the resolution, the more the CPU becomes less of a hindrance. At 1440p, I'm pretty sure, that the OP CPU won't hold back any of the latest GPUs on the market right now... maybe couple of frames, but not anything major.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    1440p GPU cap can be offset by switching games visual settings from ULTRA settings to HIGH...
    I wouldn't be surprised there games that perform worse on 1080p ULTRA than 1440p HIGH.

The law of diminishing returns.

For example, I game on my GTX970 on 1440p@96hz monitor. In BF4 I set game to HIGH settings and my 2500k@4.5GHz caps before GTX970 does.
    I can tell it with CPU/GPU utilization and by lowering game settings down to low, it doesn't change. CPU load is static in BF4 case.

I know 2500k has only 4 threads, but also freaking falling apart old 3.5GB GTX970 that manages to push respectable amount of frames.

Again, as I wrote. Resolution is not the only deciding matter whether CPU will cap or not. It depends on users visual settings preferences.
    I don't like the fact that frame wrecking ULTRA settings are being taken for granted.

15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    But it's not as simple as just looking at the CPU. There's a lot more variables. 3770k vs for example a 7700k will be a lot more about just 8 threads at 4.5ghz vs 8 threads at 5ghz.

Modern CPUs will utilise faster RAM, they'll also have more IPS and higher clocks, all on modern boards with more throughput in all important areas.

It all adds up. 3770k vs 7700k at even the same clocks will be two completely different beasts.

16. Hughes

Hughes New Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB
    Hello! One question:

Is it normal for Gigabyte RTXs when we turn on the computer that the LED indicator blinks once and goes off?

Is this the normal behavior of the GPU?

Sorry for bad english.

17. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    A few hours ago I booted Metro: Exodus on my 2080 for my first "Ray Traced" gaming since I bought the card.

And man... I'm so glad I didn't go for the Radeon VII... It looks amazing and it plays amazing... Smooth even on 4k with RT on ultra (no DLSS, not needed). And RT really makes a HUGE difference on graphics and even on gameplay (those weapons flashing in the dark add real atmosphere to the game!).

Of course, this is the game that really shows what the RTX series came for... I even bumped both CPU and VGA fan speeds a bit because they started running hotter than usual with this game...

For those who said "RTX will flock" in the begining of the thread, I must say, they couldn't be more wrong. RT is real and very playable on a 2080 @4k (got 35+ fps all the time with little tweaking, and all settings on ultra or better, which are perfect for this slower paced game).

Thanks nVidia. RTX rocks.

serbicu and Geryboy like this.
  18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Ray tracing is the future but I am sure if you showed someone with RTX On while playing this game they would not be able to tell if it was on or off.

What I think what was very good but still has some artifacts is 4K DLSS with the newest patch and you can not really notice the difference in quality while playing but you can notice the FPS gain.

sapo_joe try 4k Ultra with RT On and DLSS on and get that extra + FPS gain.

With RT On + DLSS Off the +FPS gains are even bigger when you enable DLSS.

Metro Exodus 4K PNG RT Off DLSS Off 48 FPS
    https://www.easyzoom.com/imageaccess/081cb3bf8a10432c914d4d7a714f93bc
    Metro Exodus 4K PNG RT Off DLSS On 59 FPS
    https://www.easyzoom.com/imageaccess/86751957a6044b66a56bc777e57e9b31
    https://i.**********/rwfFKsXW/Metro-Exodus-4-K-RT-Off-DLSS-Off-48-FPS.jpg
    https://i.**********/g2z2zR5m/Metro-Exodus-4-K-RT-Off-DLSS-On-59-FPS.jpg

pharma likes this.
  19. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    The thing is DLSS kinda blurs the image, specially on my 40'' panel... I'd rather have an impeccable crisp image like it is. On a smaller screen maybe the difference is smaller, but not in my case... Anyway, I'm enjoying it very much as it is. The latest drivers and patches keep a steady 35fps+ all the time and in the closed areas sometimes it hits 60fps+. Good enough for me.

With DLSS I could hit 45fps+ all the time, at the spense of some blurriness.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019

20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well if you do not mind 35+FPS that's great. Enjoy the game I know I actually did in the last 15-20 hours,it was fun.

21. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    Guys, a i5 3570@4.2ghz, will hold the 2080 too much? i've seen a few videos of cores around this one in age and it seems that there's not that much bottleneck, so i'd like to know what to do, RN i have a 980GTX on my PC and a 1070 on my laptop and i would like to update the PC to use RT, and that 3 games offer from right now looks juicy

22. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    As I wrote above, it depends on your game video settings, resolution and target FPS.
    3570 WON'T cap much on 4K resolution ULTRA SETTINGS.
    3570 WILL CAP on 1080p@144hz (ULTRA settings) or 1440p@144 (HIGH settings and below)

If you monitor is 1080p@60hz, I don't see a reason to upgrade over GTX980.

23. Ferdimage1

Ferdimage1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Update: Decided to sell my 1070 and got a 2080 at a discounted price. Thanks to this video I was a little bit more hopeful that my CPU will still hold up OK (He does a test @4.5ghz also).

Results, without adjusting previous graphics settings.
    Dirt Rally 2.0 jumped from Max 70-80fps to 110-120fps
    Far Cry ND jumped from 66fps to around 93fps.
    Overall I'm really happy that my 3770K, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, is till able to perform well for its age. At least in the future if I do upgrade my CPU, ram and mobo, the card can atleast run at its full potential.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    sapo_joe, Barry J and alanm like this.
  24. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Awesome. Valuable vid for those in similar situation with older CPUs. The 2080 shows its best gains at higher resolutions.

Barry J likes this.