Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Agreed.....however, reasonable people also avoid threads concerning products they have no interest in. But, keep proving my point anyway....

ZXRaziel likes this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Stop making unfounded generalizations. There are rational talking points vs outright shilling for whatever HW or GPU the topic may be focused on. Shame some folks cant make the distinction. I actually held off my GPU purchase for weeks, waiting for the R7 and hoping to switch sides. Even have a feeling the R7 may turn out to be a decent card down the road. But sorry, just can wait that long.

Ironic when actual shills (ie, Adored) bring up false or misleading statements and poor testing methodology, which when criticized or challenged, the persons doing so are labelled as the shills.

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    what point of yours did I prove?

Also, I should avoid this thread because I have no interest in the RVII? Why? It's a new gpu, of course I'm interested in reading about it. Why are you here btw?

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Are you angry about Radeon VII getting praise or because your RTX 2080 is getting none?

warlord and HWgeek like this.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Until VII can beat steadily Vega 64 in all games with proper differences, we shouldn't consider VII a praiseworthy gpu either. It is the most problematic launch ever for ATI/AMD/RTG and it is based on previous arch. Nvidia shouldn't be alone anymore in the Hall of Fail because of RTX gpus and their features.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    7790?

warlord likes this.
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unfounded generalizations? Are you suddenly new to the forum? There are countless threads on this forum proving exactly what I've said. Regardless of what AMD does, people on this forum still attack them.

Agonist, carnivore and Undying like this.
  8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    not sure but v7 is pretty fast by the looks of things, its the same price same performance after that it's all rock throwing.
    might have ruined my fantasies a little but great power none the less

Maddness and sykozis like this.
  9. Still waiting for AMD to pull a "Frontier Edition" with this and release Radeon™ Pro Software drivers for the Vega Vll considering its price-point & computational power. Otherwise; no it's not great. A performance-based market shouldn't settle for anything but the best. Especially when cost is not competitive, more-so even.

It holds little investment potential, will de-value very quickly as navi is soon to release & teeters between the high-to under very-high scores of its competitor; the writing's on the wall. 1080 TIs are still on the market as are modded / water-cooled Vega 64s. Even so I'd say wait till Q4 this year until making decisions.

After all what I'm suggesting bears no cost to the company - none; it should already have came at launch.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019
  10. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Dirt Rally 2.0 benchmarks:
    source:gamegpu.com
    So how Radeon 7 runs head to head with 2080Ti?
    https://i.**********/tg0L36wy/Dirt20.jpg

OnnA likes this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    There will always be the occasional game or two where one sides GPUs performs way better than the competition.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Cherry-picking a bit, it loses to the 2080ti at 1440p and 4k. Still a great performer in this peach of a game. This in VR, I don't think I'm ready but I'll buy it nevertheless! Stomach be strong.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Game is heavy enough not to have high fps even on 1080p. That makes it easier on any driver overhead. Racing games usually do not have very complex (high polygon) geometry, therefore AMD's weaker geometry discard is being much smaller problem.
    And then that low fps comes from complex shader code => brute force wins. AMD had always brute force strength.
    (Just a theory as I do not have that game.)

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Wow pretty heavy game, even at 1080p..

but I have to say look at that I assume stock 980ti go, oc some more and it's still a banger rtx 2070+ perf xD

15. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Proof GCN is better architecture and strong :)
    Imagine if all PC games made on AMD/ATI hardware in mind :D:D
    If the AMD hardware was properly leveraged by the developers, we would have better results.
    The only problem is consume a lot power.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Are the DIRT games still good? I think I played the first or second one and remember it being pretty fun but I haven't played one since. Is it the same thing just better graphics?

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Need to make distinction between Dirt Rally and Dirt games. Dirt Rally games can be too difficult/punishing to be fun (for me at least). The other Dirt games are great.

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Completely different games. Dirt series are arcade rally racers. DiRT Rally and DiRT Rally 2.0 are sims.

If you want to kick back on a big screen and have a few beers while manning a controller, Dirt games are just the job. DiRT Rally and DiRT Rally 2.0 are sims through and through, best enjoyed with a wheel and pedals, clutch pedal and handbrake. On triple screen or VR

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I liked this one but seems others didnt. It was a different Dirt game.