Google will release its own Netflix for games in March

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2019.

1. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Running games server side makes 0 sense to me at all. Even netflix has the users device process the video, its just data that is being sent in that case. Why would anybody want to do this when hardware keeps getting faster, smaller and cheaper? Now something like Microsoft gamepass makes sense to me since you are still running the game locally. In an age where the latest iphone can already run fortnite at 60 fps, why would anyone invest in streaming? Imagine in 5-10 years...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Steam is not really hurting. If they did have drop in number of clients, they can always reduce their cut per game. Steam is most advanced platform and people with hundreds of games are not easily going to phase out their local gaming systems in favor of cloud gaming which provides inferior experience.

3. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Hard to tell how valve is doing, but I cant imagine they arent making millions. They are not publicly traded, so for all we know they are blowing millions without telling anybody.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can make quite accurate guess by looking at player base development of games over time in those top 10 sold each week.
    In general player base decreases over time for any game as everyone is going to play only for certain amount of time till game becomes too repetitive/boring.
    Therefore influx of new players is needed to keep player base same.

You do not get to know total volume of sales per week, but you get to know how that volume changes over time.

Let's say that there are 8 unique games in top 10 selling games weekly. Total amount of players in given week is X for those games in top sellers.
    Week later there are some same games, some are gone, and some are new. But again you have 8 unique games there. Total number of players of those games in this week is 0.98 * X. Therefore you can presume that sales went down a bit.

5. Sturmx

Sturmx New Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    This will be great, I think. Was in the Assassin's Creed Odyssey test and I expected a ton of input lag.. Like I got with Playstation Now a year or two ago. I didn't notice any input lag at all with Odyssey. I actually really like the game streaming services. Origin Access is great.. $100 a year is like buying a game and a half.. Hopefully googles selection is as big as theirs just with more developers.

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Save the technical issues of game streaming, you can have the best service in the world with all the money behind it but if you haven't got the games it doesn't mean anything now does it?

Fox2232 likes this.
  7. floppyedonkey

floppyedonkey Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G
    This would be one way to curb all those losers online that cheat, mod or otherwise make a mockery of real competitiveness and stats.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    My internet can't handle that kind of load. There's just no way it could do a AAA game with full eye candy without issues. Besides, I'm not interested in running all my stuff from a cloud server. I like having my own crap to deal with.

This may work out but I don't see it as something I have even the slightest interest in. If this is the future, I'm a dinosaur.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I was in the beta test back in December of 2018. I live in a Google Fiber city and I have the Gigabit internet plan with no TV. I didn't have a great experience, especially trying to use KB+M. An XB1 controller helped a little bit, but after exiting the game and playing a locally installed game of the same genre I could feel a large difference.

Nobody else was using the internet, nothing was downloading or uploading, so it was a free and clear Gigabit connection to stream the game. It is an okay idea for those who are fine with the quality and framerates of consoles right now, but I will hold on to my local media until I see a *much* better game streaming experience.
    You didn't notice any input lag at all? What settings and framerates do you normally play local PC games at? I'm not even much of a PCMR snob when it comes to that stuff, I just want the highest settings I can use with the framerate locked to my monitor via Vsync. Even I noticed input lag on ACO from Google Stream. Not to mention artifacting at points, more noticeable when more motion was present.

10. Sturmx

Sturmx New Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    I actually owned the game but signed up for their beta because I wanted to see the input lag. I ran the original maxed out. It wasn't as good as maxed out but it was better than medium I would say. I didn't notice any input lag. I have a 1 gig connection.

11. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    I'm in! I'll do it in a heartbeat! Married with 3 kids. This will be a time saver for me. And maybe cheaper, depending. Lets do it!

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Still don't know how bad the lag would be.
    I think with Steam link you are playing within your network, so basically minimum lag (as far as PC catches up).

And with cloud you have a server somewhere in the world, lucky if its near you. So we have like 100 - 200 ping to nearby google server farm.
    Single games where reaction time is required will probably be less attractive.

And then you probably got Google cutting down game quality and resolution to save up on GPU power. I wouldn't be surprised if its HD resolution at medium settings, if not 720p.
    I mean you also need fast internet without packet loss to actually enjoy the game.
    No need to mention that FPS multiplayer games gonna be even worse.

This could be good for slow paces / turn based games like Civilization, Darkest Dungeons or Slay The Spire.

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Stream TV sure beats wathcing ads all day on Cable/Satellite/Fibre TV
    Stream Games no thanks hope it tanks like they all do

Getting tired of re-released online things like streaming and cloud renamed to be more catchy. Dont get me started on cloud online storage is old as sin.....its just so cool its the cloud.....umk

14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    How dull, I understand that companies want to milk gamers as much as they can and subscription based gaming is great for that, but I can!t imagine this ever taking over gaming on your own HW. The obvious latency issues is something that will never be solved, unless they want to build a data center every couple hundred km. Sure it could attract some of the console crowd, if they will play PC games on a gamepad, but then again consoles attract their audience with specific game titles, which Google lacks.

15. toxzl1

toxzl1 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 390X Strix