Logitech re-releases MX518 mouse with a new sensor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks at explaining it to me @bigfutus , @barbacot , and @Kaarme
    I guess a little nostalgia helps there, and with that I neither can, nor want to argue :)

2. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    I want to see Razer do this with the Boomslang and Diamondback designs. Just a new sensor and leave everything else alone.

They did a re-release of the Diamondback a couple years ago, but they fiddled with the design and used different materials/textures (also added obligatory rainbow of RGB). The redesign felt way different from the earlier models, hence I'm back on my Diamondback 3G while typing this :\

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seems like a 32-bit CPU is a bit overkill. A 16-bit, in theory, could clock higher and yield lower latency, without really sacrificing anything. Not that there's anything bad about the CPU they chose, just seems a bit unnecessary.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    My MX518 has been working for about 13 years. i think i got it in 2006

If the price is right i'll defo be getting a few of them too.

5. RmVA

RmVA Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    I still use my original MX500 which I bought in 2003. Haven't wanted another mouse for 16 years...

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    My mx518 finally died a couple years ago. I bought it in 2005(?). It was a fantastic mouse. Probably the best mouse I've ever had. It had a great feel and other mice I've liked (3 or 4 others) have all died much sooner.

If they price it right, I may grab another one.

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

I just had to dig out the last of my MX518s from the closet. It has been through a lot and was my main workhorse for 5 years.

I can't remember what happened exactly before I broke it, but I might have thrown it to the wall while I was playing Team Fortress 2.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    How can you rage at such casual game? :D

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    They sould release the G9 with a modern sensor that doesn't suffer from acceleration and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    The MX518 was a nice mouse, although it's shape wasn't all that great for my hands.
    I'd love to see a re-release of the Logitech G700(s). I really like the shape and the 13 programmable buttons. I fear the day when mine dies, since you can't get them anymore. Alternatively, an updated version of the Logitech iFeel MouseMan with more (programmable) buttons would be great as well.

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE

Aside from the original Intellimouse back in the day the most notable ones were the MX500 series and that came in MX500, MX510, and MX518. The MX510 and MX518 were the ones I had a pleasure of using back in the day and had native 800dpi sensors which was big for CS1.6, CS:S and other shooters. So in a sense they just brought back what people liked in the past and upgraded the engine. You could say they did something like an AE86 and a GT86/FRS/BRZ but then again those had a new engine body hahah.

While the G400 does share the same body, it is heavier. The MX500 series were 106g while the G400 is 137g. To some people that might not be a big difference but for someone who movies more of your wrist rather than your whole arm when you move the mouse its a big difference. Even to the point of wrist pain for some like me (haha even though I lift weights +37g on wrist gives me pain). Biggest reason why I sold my G502 to a friend and got the G900 since the G900 is 107g and wireless it gave me back a similar weight to the MX500 and all the wrist pain went away surprisingly.

For others its more of a nostalgic or even going back to what worked. If the MX500 series worked for you in the past and you like the G400, the MX518 is lighter, the same as the past with an updated mouse engine.

This mice is already out in the other side of the world dubbed MX518 Legendary so yeah its been out for a while, I was considering getting it but I already have my G900 and I love wireless now. The only mouse I would probably consider for me personally would be the G Pro Wireless and thats even lighter at 80g.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sell the G9x though, you probably get really good money for it, and besides it'll mess up your flick shots due to the acceleration issues with that mouse, you won't be able to produce such effective muscle memory - that's what I found when I switched from G9x to G303. That G303 is a good mouse, but the left mouse button failed with double click issue, and I got a G Pro as a warranty replacement - Logitech are awesome for their warranty!

typhon6657 likes this.
  13. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Ya, Logitech is the best when it comes to warranty . That;s why my next mouse will be the same as before - Logitech . Also I like the sensors they are using .

RzrTrek and Robbo9999 like this.
  14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    About the only thing I was never a fan of with this mouse is the paint. It looks like someone took a ping hammer to it.

15. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Cool, I might have to snag one. I would have preferred a G5 reboot, that thing fit my hand perfectly and I haven't found a replacement that feels the same (sadly I lost the G5 in a move), but I think the MX518 is similar.

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Sensor is a lot better though. But the average joe won't notice this tbh.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Had a few Logitech, this one included that had glitches with the cable. Hopefully they have the quality issues fixed by now..

18. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Yaaaas!

Great news :)

I actually still use my OG 1st gen G5 while I have a plethora of other mice (G5 v2, G500s, G502, Razer Imperator 2012, Razer Deathadder Chroma, and a Razer Ouroboros).
    Main reason is the shape of the mouse is absolutely perfect for my hand, and can't find any other mouse that is so perfect (apart from the rather crap laser in the G5 lol).
    Even the 500s is somewhat different shape and it's enough to get on my nerves (I guess it's all down to the place where my ring finger falls/fits.

Wanted to get a G400, but couldn't find it anywhere in stock any-more :/

So this is great news as the Mx518 is basically an exact copy of my G5 :)

**Immediately starts checking where to get one :D**

19. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    They should have made this wireless but maybe thats coming later.