MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Create profile for GTA4 executable then edit it and add [Settings] -> PowerUser=1. This will unlock power user oriented settings for this profile.

2. Unwinder

RADEON VII sample is still in the way so I cannot implement support for it yet, but I decided to release intermediate beta to let you test new V/F curve related enhancements (improved keyboard control support and undo/redo functionality). So here it is, changes list includes the following:

MSI Afterburner 4.6.0 beta 14 (build 14649)

- Now you can use <Tab> and <Shift>+<Tab> keys to select next/previous point on the curve. This feature is useful for those who prefer to use keyboard <Up>/<Down> keys to fine-tune selected point frequency offset instead of adjusting the point with mouse cursor. I'm not sure if many of you know that, but I'll remind that you can also hold <Ctrl> while fine-tuning frequency offset with <Up>/<Down> keys to jump to the nearest frequency value rounded to 10MHz
    - Now you can press <Enter> key to edit selected point frequency offset from keyboard. Alternately you may press <Shift>+<Enter> to specify absolute target frequency value, so the editor will calculate desired offset automatically
    - Slightly changed keyboard control interface for AMD implementation of V/F curve editor. Previously you could select P-State and fine-tune frequency with <Up>/<Down> or <Ctrl>+<Up>/<Ctrl>+<Down> keys or fine-tune voltage <Left>/<Right> or <Ctrl>+<Left>/<Ctrl>+<Right> keys. Now both frequency and voltage are adjusted with <Up>/<Down> or <Ctrl>+<Up>/<Ctrl>+<Down> keys and voltage or frequency keyboard input focus is selected with <PageUp> / <PageDown> keys. Voltage or frequency keyboard input focus is now highlighted by selected point brightness on the curve. Keyboard input focus also affects new <Enter> / <Shift> + <Enter> functionality, allowing you to type in target voltage or frequency in both offset or absolute form
    - Similar to NVIDIA implementation, now you may also hold <Alt> when dragging V/F curve point on AMD systems. This will result in moving whole curve up/down while preserving each point's offset
    - Added undo/redo support to voltage/frequency curve editor:
    o Now voltage/frequency curve editor is saving up to 1024 last states of the curve during editing and allows you to undo/redo changes with <Ctrl>+<Z> or <Ctrl>+<Y> / <Ctrl>+<Shift>+<Z> keys
    o Undo history is discarded when you apply the curve, forcibly reread it from hardware with <F5> key or switch to different GPU on multi-GPU system
    o Number of recorded undo/redo steps is displayed in square brackets in the editor window caption
    - Application properties dialog window is now displayed with topmost style when the properties are activated from detached monitoring window and "Always on top" mode is enabled for it
    - NVIDIA Scanner components are updated to latest version, NVML.dll issue should be addressed now

RTSS 7.2.1 Beta 5 (build 20189)

- Slightly refactored Direct3D and Vulkan On-Screen Display rendering codepaths due to implementation of optional offscreen rendering mode. This mode is currently disabled by default, it is reserved for future versions as a codebase for asynchronous On-Screen Display rendering implementation
    - Changed power user protected settings locking approach. Now power user settings ("Enable Custom Direct3D support" options and Vector2D On-Screen Display rendering mode) are locked for enabling by default in the global profile only, but you can still change them at application profiles level
    - Now RivaTuner Statistics Server validates DirectX runtimes installation at startup and displays warning message if required DirectX runtime components are missing. Power users may disable this warning message as well as any previously existing diagnostic warning messages displayed at RivaTuner Statistics Server startup and enable silent startup mode via the configuration file if necessary
    - Added user extendable exclusions list for desktop windows notification performed during installation and uninstallation of system CBT hooks. Currently the only exclusion in the list is Microsoft Outlook process, which previously tended to display help popup window on closing RivaTuner Statistics Server
    - Rendering pipeline flushing no longer stays active if you enable scanline sync mode but disable framerate limiting support with hotkeys from MSI Afterburner
    - Fixed multhithreaded active busy-wait loop based frame capture implementation, which could prevent desktop videocapture from working in the previous version

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    LocoDiceGR, eGGroLLiO, Vidik and 6 others like this.
  3. ParKur

ParKur Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Unwinder, the year the copyright was updated. Copyright (C) 2005-2017. For the update thank you!

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I wondered why it didn't work, I thought I was doing something wrong.

5. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Thank you.
    [​IMG]

6. Unwinder

Thanks, I'll update that.

7. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Oh btw...
    What's the Proper way to Update MSI Afterburner?
    I always press the X to close it and RTSS together, then start the update.
    But i often get this message:
    [​IMG]

If i click Ignore it works fine.... but that's not really a good idea is it?

P.S AMDs AMF / VCE does support 4k right? (on Vega64)
    Because benchmarking 1920x1080 works fine, but trying FullFrame aka 3840x1080 crashes.
    Error Code: VCEAMF_ERR_AMFCOMPONENT_INIT_FAILED!
    https://i.imgur.com/0zK4mhE.png
    https://i.imgur.com/7we0wAJ.png
    P.P.S The VideoCaptureCustomFramesizes = 32:9 1080p,0F000438h, show up in Recording but not in Benchmark :(

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Uninstall the old version first.

Andy_K likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    File is probably in use by some software, application frame host.exe tends to like to hold on and not let go (In my case at least.) so terminating that manually can avoid having to do a restart.
    You can just try to delete the file manually and it should tell you what is holding it up if that fails. (Since you are installing a new version it will just be remade and you don't want a mix of older and newer files if a replacement completely failed for some reason.)

AppFrameHost = Win10 UWP and apps, start an app again and it'll pop back so no problem terminating it.
    ShExHost = Shell Experience Host or the start menu, restarts after a second or two if you kill this task so again no problems with doing it that way to unload anything hooked into it.
    And Explorer would be the shell but that seems to unload just fine unlike whatever these two are doing, usually Rivatuner will make a temporary copy of the file and install will finalize upon reboot if things like this occurs and the file is in use from how I remember it working at least and that works too, me I usually forcibly terminate running programs it's hooked into if it doesn't unload gracefully but don't do it blindly and start shutting down things that actually should be kept running if you try to do it this way.

EDIT: And then all sorts of third party programs, bugs and oversights can cause some problems here but it's system specific as to what's running in the background beyond OS tasks and services. :D
    (EDIT: Recent workaround for the Ubisoft UPlay client overlay for something like a example here of third party programs and their features possibly having some issues.)

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    What I do is turn off AB startup option if you have that set, reboot and then install, you generally don't need to uninstall.
    As long as AB is not started it shouldn't be in use on any files.
    Then after it has been updated you just reenable the startup setting if you use it.

Haldi likes this.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    As posted uninstall old versions of AB and RTSS first. Uninstallation will prompt whether you want to keep your settings and actually advise you to click YES if updating.
    It will retain all your custom settings, saved profiles etc.

Haldi and boogieman like this.
  12. Unwinder

RVII just arrived. I'll install it on weekends and if everything goes smooth in implementation, we can expect new AB beta with RVII support on the next week.

13. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Sounds great.
    By the way did anyone report that in the newest AMD Relive (Using Vega 64), it's now loading last used clock settings automatically at startup, even when checked in afterburner to clear them (like it's been checked for the last few years)? Did the registry entries change again?

I didn't try the drivers at the beginning of this year as I heard they were a wild mess. Might have to go back to the last solid 2018 december drivers now :(

cookieboyeli likes this.
  14. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Yea I see this happen. I'm not sure if it's intended but (even on nvidia too) if I say make some changes then accidentally don't save them and switch to another profile can close and open msi afterburner and end up on that old profile that shouldn't exist... then again that's saved me several times. Just to be clear I never saved a profile, and I even applied the profile 1 I already had assuming other changes were now thrown away. With no way to get them back because I had not saved them into profile2 config I don't understand how I was able to reopen msi afterburner to load and recover them!

15. Unwinder

No, you don't see that. He is talking about AMD driver's own hardware settings autosaving, NV never had that and hope never will (because it is plain stupid and unsafe and lazy programming). And I'd seriously like to focus on RVII support implementation instead of commenting unreal things, sorry.

Falkentyne likes this.

16. Unwinder

Monitoring related part of RVII support is implemented and working. Hope I’ll be able to get overclocking and fan control breathing too today/tomorrow and launch new fully featured RVII support capable beta on Monday.

GSDragoon, Falkentyne and toyo like this.
  17. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
  18. Unwinder

19. Unwinder

Guys, new beta can be grabbed here.
    Please take a note that it is WIP, I've not implemented full support of RVII yet, but I decided to let you to preview and test all currently implemented functionality. So the changes list includes:

- Added Overdrive 8 support
    - Added full monitoring support for RADEON VII, two GPU temperatures (GPU temperature 2 is junction temperature), memory temperature, core VRM temperature, clocks, fan speed, GPU voltage and power should be monitored properly on Vega VII now.
    - Added full fan control support for RADEON VII
    - RVII overclocking and power limit control are not completely implemented yet and currently working in read-only mode now, so the sliders (and VF curve) should reflect actual RVII hardware settings, but you won't be able to change them yet.

The next beta with full RVII overclocking support is expected in the nearest few days (probably even tomorrow), I'm working on it now.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  20. Beta 15?