Review: Metro Exodus: PC graphics performance analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2019.

1. edilsonj

edilsonj Active Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3060 Ti
    Oh, boy... Visual are better with DLSS off and Ray Tracing off. (pay attention, my opinion).

Fox2232 likes this.
  2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Some of you guys are funny. You whine about PC games being nothing but console ports with zero innovation in technology yet when a game comes out that does exactly what you wanted... you whine about its the developers' fault your PC isn't fast enough.

And what are you talking about? It doesn't look good? Compared to what? Reality? *sigh* Please name a game with better graphics than Exodus.

I can think of one, and its not coming out for a year. Squadron 42.

Maddness likes this.
  3. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    I like the more real shadows and light sources, I think this is a better way to use raytraced effects than showing reflections everywhere, gets a more realistic scene.

The worst part is there are not enough rays to make all the lights and shadows needed and it shows how premature the technic is, and taxing.

In the other hand, DLSS is only another option that improves over the basic, but is a visual downgrade over the top graphic quality. I like how it blurs far away objects, because it looks more real, but the nearest geometry and textures are too much washed. It could be nice to apply it only in the distance, but could be more difficult to implement, or won’t save enough performance at the end.

Anyway, it’s a shame how poorly implemented is global illumination in this game for non RTX users, it reminds me about Batman’ stupid physX implementation, that can’t be played from CPU or nowadays powerful Radeon cards, no other than “recommended” hardware, banning many customers from experience the complete game.

It’s the kind of shameful things I feel when I see Unreal engine lame performance on non Nvidia hardware, bad implementation, unfair with competition and disloyal with their final customers (us, the gamers).

:rolleyes:

PS: another thing I dislike is how they tell you when you can use DLSS, because you can't choose 1080p but 1440p, while in reality you are playing 1080p upscaled... that's a misleading advertising.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  4. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Luc
    So true man
    Nvidia and game developers (partners) want the customers buy a RTX cards, It´s a pure marketing in my opinion.
    We have to wait for more real shadows and light sources.
    Maybe next gen games and graphics cards
    :)

5. Rakanoth

Rakanoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    What a disrespectful post!

Yes, it's probably the developer's fault to be unable to optimize the game properly.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wow!, added support for it a year ago :p

warlord likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maddness, Fox2232 and warlord like this.
  8. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    it looks like Vega64 starting looking very good with the new games, if you can find it used in good condition with warranty- very good performance/$$.

Maddness and warlord like this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For me the RTX effects are simply meh so far. The biggest difference seems to be that sometimes the scene becomes brighter or darker and that´s it... Disappointing.

Also i almost fell of my chair when i first read the CPU scaling test thinking that 4 cores CPU had a much worse performance than the 6/8 cores parts, then i realized i was seeing the charts the wrong way...:p

Great article!

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There is no @warlord this time to tell us how 2060 is fast as Vega64, hah.

HWgeek and warlord like this.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    AMD works nicely in this title. The most problematic detail is that vega 64 is so close to radeon VII. If it was an LC oc'ed version it could be equal to its larger brother. Something is fishy.

Undying likes this.
  12. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    IMO, if Vega 64 is very close to VII in this days- this means that VII need better drivers, Vega64 already got many driver optimization till today.

Maddness and Undying like this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not just this title. AMD cards perform better in all recent ones like RE2, Anthem and Division 2.

warlord likes this.
  14. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Whats up about the snowflakes raging about max settings you know you can turn some sliders a bit lower? This is one of the best looking games that has come out and GPU's have only got a relatively small performance boost this time around compared to last two generations so I guess take your complaints to nvidia and amd?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The 7s the same Vega though, so its had all its optimizations now.

pharma and warlord like this.

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I believe if a vega was clocked the same as 7, they would be equal. So it's surely not an optimization thing.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We saw inconsistent performance across many games. Sometimes its faster than 2080 and some other time is only fast as 2070. You can blame only drivers for that.

Im sure Vega arch is still improving.

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Let's wait a different branch like 19.3 or later. Firstly vega vii had its own drivers with 19.2.1. Now it was put together with all the others in 19.2.2. So, it is a matter of time for RTG team to short these problems out.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    And when AMD does poorly in other Nvidia titles, its always the case of them gimping it, eh? :D

20. ManuKey

ManuKey Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    removed - watch your language please.