Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    fail indeed but some will try to defend it.

warlord, cowie, RzrTrek and 1 other person like this.
  2. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Most annoying part is that I'm not even an Nvidia fan, in fact I despise each of the big three, Intel, Nvidia, AMD, they're just amoral corporations that exist purely for profit.
    I expected AMD to disrupt pricing, not be even worse than RTX. So it makes the disappointment even more pronounced. It was like seeing a bad practice from the competition and instead of trying to benefit from correcting the greedy tendencies on Nvidia, they doubled down.
    As for the production cost, why even bother if you know you can't sell it at a good price and you're not making a profit? Just to get bad press and turn off potential customers like myself? Seems an incredibly stupid decision. I wonder who is making these decisions, cause they don't seem to be the same people responsible for Ryzen. We waited for that CPU for years while there was just the FX that was nowhere near Intel. We could have waited for a properly priced GPU just as well.

RzrTrek, warlord and cowie like this.
  3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    f'in a right yo

its comical how we are all so stupid, there was no great amd hero just the opposite
    not saying its a pos on gaming but jeez makes 7nm look very bad
    I need a card and not waiting for navi no way if its mostly new arc drivers will suck for years lol
    amd had nothing for nv and that guy knew it
    its ok you can say it.....he was right mostly

warlord likes this.
  4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    At least AMD is gonna be famous in sinking. :D

Veganic was huge, a bigger event than Titanic.!

5. Oversemper

Oversemper Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7
    So if something is sold out and pre orders for a new batch higher in price than available rivals then this is a fail? May be for you, for the rest of the world fail for a new product is when it is not being sold and need big discounts for it to start getting sold. Somehow you need to understand that Nvidia does not make perfect GPUs even if they are perfect for your body and soul. AMD's GPU have their values otherwise they will never sell. For example, modern MACs (Apple), which I absolutely detest*, go solely with AMD GPUs. For somebody, like you, the fact that rad7 is a crippled MI50 is a personal failure, but for somebody its an instabuy.

*but I do not trash MACs in their reviews coz I acknowledge that they have certain advantages over windows PCs, otherwise they will never sell.

They did disrupt prices with rx480 (vs gtx980), they did disrupt prices with ryzen 6 and 8 cores (vs intel i7) and they highly likely to disrupt prices with 3rd gen ryzen 16 cores and rx680 (vs 1080). May be you just expect too much from AMD. And may be you should consider starting your own GPU making company if you think it is so easy to make a cheap and fast GPUs. Come on @toyo! Show 'em how make it!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You prove my point

7. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I will not be surprised if Apple will release the New Mac Pro with 32/48/64 Cores ThreadRipper(Custom spec's for Apple) + 16GB Vega VII/32GB 64CU VEGA VII variants (Also Apple spec's tuned), Finally the performance gap gonna be big enought to launch the new Mac Pro with Apple like Premium Price.
    The Hackintosh market getting bigger and bigger since users want Higher spec'ed Macs.

Oversemper likes this.
  8. Oversemper

Oversemper Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7
    No, your point was that Rad7 is fail. And you could not prove it at all. You just playing with words like a kid. Go to a Mercedes forum and type "new GLE is a fail, but some will try to defend it" and you gonna get heck of a lot of proofs of your point.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Its a failed launch. Not necessarily a failed card... yet.

warlord likes this.
  10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Meanwhile, back in the real world, card is selling and available in good numbers.

Most people wiling to pay, will be able to work out the value and possibilities for them selves. In fact, having read a number of reviews and looked at the numbers, it is starting to look more and more like the better investment in the long run.

The following words might come back to haunt some deciding on which card to buy right now

-Tj- likes this.
  12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    That's a so AMD biased site, don't promote AMD trolling lovers here. Low credibility site as frack ever.

All other sites showing a clear 5-15% lead to RTX 2080 stock vs Radeon VII depending on title tested.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Not selling in the UK, still got them in stock from launch, which was less than 100 cards.

EDIT: OcUK just got some more in that they ain't gona sell now.

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    What makes you think OC3D are biased towards AMD? He was probably referring to his 3D Mark scores? All he does is play test, benchmark and report back his figures and he's pretty damn good at it.

Also if you've seen any of Tom Logan's videos on YouTube, you would know that he's not the kind of guy that will shy away from criticizing any of the brands or manufactures to the point they have to gag him.

-Tj- likes this.
  15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Tinytomlogan's been saying it how it is for years.

Every single store in the UK has them in stock.

-Tj- likes this.

16. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
  17. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    This answer is on par with people telling those that get banned on Twitter or Facebook to make their own social media, and when they do and payment processors go after them and kill their accounts, make your own payment processor, and then your own credit card corporation, and then your own Internet...

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What are you doing on my own private internet?

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    This thing simply needs a custom cooler.

Every single review i read so far says it's noisy AF and reaches 110C.

20. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yeah, I'm hoping there is going to be AIB custom cards