Hit Rego and AMD Video Cards

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Preface:
    I created this thread in hopes to gather information and discussion into one particular problem I've finally been able to identify when it comes to AMD video cards along with poor hit rego in 1st person shooter games. This particular issue is getting your bullets to fully register. Not about being in sync with the server. Nor latency issues.

Expected Behavior:
    If one weapon's stats states that a TTK is 3 bullets within a certain distance. Then it should be just those 3 bullets.

Experienced Behavior:
    Out flanked opponent team with their backs to me in a narrow corridor. Using a VKM 750, a 3 hit kill weapon for example, TTK was 5-8 bullets more then it should have been to the upper chest and head.

Games Effected:
    COD games IE:BO4 is most pronounced. However, other games like BFV, and to a lesser extent BF1, Overwatch, etc. also exhibit the same behavior.

Discussion:
    This is a repeatable behavior and although a new router, tweaked network adapter settings, etc have decreased latency they do not effect hit rego. The only fix that I know of that addresses the issue is that I reboot the PC and play BO4 after a reboot. By doing so I have repeatedly dominated the match in a run/gun situation. Even if my opponent fires at the same time or 1st I still, if using the correct gun, will win. Given that I'm using that gun at it's optimal environment.

Explanation:
    What I noticed is that for whatever reason; using RamMap to keep track of how large Zero'd blank pages get is the cause of the problem. The whole idea of Zero'd blank pages is to allow windows to instantly reuse them instead of using standby list. However, that's not what is happening. Although I truly don't know what's happening other then observing the behavior.

The more I use programs to clear the standbylist the larger the Zero'd list can get. At about 3-4GB of Zero Blank pages (according to RamMap) BO4 hit rego is complete trash. This causes me to use double or more the amount of bullets until I reboot the PC. As that is the only way to clear Zero'd blank pages (or whatever the technical term for it is) and get the hit rego back to normal again.

There is no app out there that I've found that will remove the Zero'd blank pages. Also, they do diminish on their own over time. However, I've noticed them diminish at a rate of 1/2 meg every 30 seconds or so. The time it takes for it get below 1Gig could take well over an hour (guesstimate). So it's faster to just reboot.

My Opinion:
    It maybe that games aren't designed to use Zero'd out blank pages. Also compound with the forced use of empty standbylist may induces Zero'd blank pages exacerbating the problem as an AMD user.

Can anyone else use RamMap, for example, to manually remove standbylist after playing 1 match of BO4, BFv or BF1 and see if Zero'd increases or is over 1GB? When you do a fresh boot Zero'd should be less then 500K.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To sum this theory up:
    You came to believe that local memory properties affect server side hit registration. (Or in worse case, affects damage done by bullet hit.)

WareTernal likes this.
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti

You should watch this guy........

OnnA likes this.
  4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I've watched that before however that is not the issue.

5. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Now it makes sense! My AMD card is why I keep getting owned! :D
    IMO, everything you describe can be attributed to network issues.
    Watch again and pay attention from 7:12-11:25, or keep resetting you PC and "repeatedly dominating".

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    "Get good" and stop blaming others for your bad aim. :p

Seren likes this.
  7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I think you should read the OP again. Like I said that option has already been explored and the video only talks about BFV not specifically the other games I've mentioned with similar results.
    :eek: So that's what it is...
    LOL Nah :D
    I'm quite good when hit rego is working as it should. It's not about me missing my shots o_O

Undying likes this.
  8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is an example of what happens when I play BO4 after a reboot.

As you can see even with a high ping of 50+ms I over shoot opponents that are taken out. And, 'm fully able to 180 an opponent with a VKM 750 (notorious for its slow aim down sigh and one of the slowest rounds per minute), no scoped. Again, using it's strengths by picking off targets at a distance.

However as Zero'd blank pages fills up past 3GB what I actually hit takes more hits. That's the problem. What I should get is the same experience you see in the video, round after round, after round. However, things seems to be OK up to a certain point and then hit rego tanks.

I haven't changed anything except use the Empty Standby List tweak. AKA, create a task scheduler for it.
    So about 5 minutes it empties the standbylist. but I still have a big Zero'd blank list that's growing according to RamMap.

9. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Looks you're playing against some laggy players (note 40 seconds in, you see the guy "floating" and your shots register infront of him) and several players appear to be warping. There is noticeable delays though when you're shooting but this is more indicative of client/server netcode not being stable. Do a tracert to the blops servers.

I don't think this is a graphics issue but something funky is going on with your system.

Seren likes this.
  10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I'm glad you noticed that. It's a first that I've seen it though. I chalked it up to someone attempting to cheat as lag cheating, unfortunately, is a thing in COD games. Yes, even on PC side. But to comment on that when someone was "lagging" they would be incredibly hard to hit while they use their scripts to dance/bob around in front of you. But yeah I was still able to register some hits with him lagging which is why I showed that portion of the match. As it clearly shows I'm receiving the full effect of each registered hit. Which was the original problem I was having.

But to simplify it a bit that was more likely a peer and not a dedicated server. This is COD tradition as one match could be dedicated and the next could be peer.

You will also see that I over shoot as well. Double tap to the head is all I really needed but I am so use to 3-5 shots it's hard for me to remember that I don't need the extra bullets. This finding is still new to me, last 2-3 days, so I'm still adjusting to the hit rego actually working like it should.

In the upper right corner is their version of "Ping" but they also called it latency. I have no idea why they are calling Ping Latency. I looked it up on Activision's web site.
    It's around 50ms which is high for me because I usually try to stay within 30ms. But I also found out that isn't necessary any more either, as demonstrated.

https://support.activision.com/arti...-game-Performance-in-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-4

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

Here is another example after rebooting the PC.
    Peer connection
    Opponent on the other side was also using a VKM 750.
    Ping in the 30s
    VKM 750 works best when you are mid-long range

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  12. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    You can try disabling Window's "Fast Start-up" which has caused performance problems in the past on AMD systems (still really more of a Windows issue). Other than that I highly doubt the issue is a result of AMD hardware... I don't know if you are playing on a dedicated server but if you aren't, then lagg is to be expected.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    You chasing some illuminati conspiracy stuff right here..if you know what i mean.

GREGIX and MerolaC like this.
  14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I was thinking EXACTLY the same.

GREGIX and LocoDiceGR like this.
  15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    And yet I'm still seeing the same behavior.
    :confused:

16. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    BF is known to have really dodgy hitreg. For me Bad Company 2 had the best hitreg after some ini tweaks, BF3 was fine after like 20 patches and BF4 never felt good in the first place. Because of this i stopped playing BF all together. Basicly any shooter with a 60-64 ish tickrate will see problems from time to time hence in CS:GO a lot of people use services like ESEA/FaceIT to play on 128 tick servers to reduce those problems to a minimum.

17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Funny. I must sue nvidia, as recently I killed guy shooting behind him (he was running left, I shot like half meter behind him)...
    Oh wait, that could be fkd net code, lag, and ping 50ms my side and 80 his.....
    No, better don't sue them.

MAAN...REALLY?

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    As i said....some illuminati conspiracy stuff going on right here

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is about BO4. :confused:

You get triggered way to easily, lol. I showed 2 videos, one at 50ms the other at 30ms. It's was to show that no matter what the ping the results were the same. Better hit rego with the mention reboot.
    Better yet, I'll shine a flashlight at the nic card and see what happens as Nvidia's stock price continues to drop as a result of the whole crypto thing and softbank dumping their stock going around. I'm sure if I port that over to the game it will have a positive effect on the hit rego.:rolleyes:

upgrades uninstalled :eek:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  20. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    BO4 uses a 60-62 hertz tickrate so just like all the previous games i mentioned you are going to see problems from time to time. Yesterday i played some rounds of PUBG and in one of those rounds i got shot while moving in a house and being downed while being inside with the enemy not having line of sight on me. It just happens and you have to accept it as part of the game. Also do note that BO4's blackout runs only on a 20 hz tickrate :eek: