Upgrade from 1050ti for 1080p at 72hz?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DryIce, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk i thought both games are looking nice. RE and Frostbite engine always perform better on amd hardware.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    They do but both are targeting console which is GCN so favoring AMD at launch is expected.

I guess my sarcasm didn't come though in that last post.

Undying likes this.
  3. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    Even more confused now.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dont be. Get a 2060, that should be more than enough for 1080p, power to spare will come in handy.

Loophole35 likes this.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Agreed. And don't really waste your time with AIB's on the 2060 just get the FE straight from Nvidia as the price will be MSRP and the cooler is quiet and very cool.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    When will it come in handy? He'll spend much of the card's initial lifespan using around half of it on most games most of the time. Sure, there's little to bridge the gap between 580 / 590 and this, but still.

You can get a 2060 given its very good price for what it performs like, but know that you're essentially limited by your own display and that this card can easily do 1440p, at least now. 1080p 60Hz is being relegated to lower midrange going ahead. With all the FreeSync options now available, now would be a good time to look into 1080p 144Hz (if you can stomach the TN panels / the curve in the VA panels).

7. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    wait for 1660 series

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

In my opinion, for a card to be considered a worth while long term investment, it needs to fall in the performance radius dictated by the difference between the extreme top end RTX 2080 Ti and the more central RTX 2080 (Vega 7?). Following that rule, any card that falls with in the same radius below the RTX 2080 should be viable.

For general comparisons, I would just look at the 4K based benchmark results from the chart below.

[​IMG]

As can be seen in the chart, perhaps due to the 192 bit bus amongst other things, the RTX 2060 falls just outside the (25%?) radius. So, while I'm not saying the RTX 2060 isn't a good card, because it is a good card (with ray tracing capabilities thrown in as a bonus), the above is worth some consideration.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2019
  9. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    hmm maybe the vega 56, prices are good and give the other side a try

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Also, and this is purely hypothetical, if AMD were to implement a form of ray tracing in the near future, the benefits might still be there with Vega continuing as their main architecture.

11. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    I also have to consider my power supply, its a 750w, but i think it has 2 x 6 pin power connectors with 2 separate 2 pins

12. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    Ok found a brill condition 1070 for £210. that will do bugger it. After i sell my 1050ti should be a worthy upgrade for now.

BlackZero likes this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    That's a great deal. I sold my 1080 for £285 on here last week which I thought was a good deal for both parties but a 1070 for £210 for 1080p 60hz will be great.

Massive upgrade from the 1050ti.

14. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    Yeah ive also discovered if i drop freesync and go back to 60hz with vsync it looks alot better, so at 60hz should be great.

should keep me going for a while

I would of bought that of you to be honest :)

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

That's a pretty good price on the 1070, and a great upgrade from a 1050 Ti.

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You were probably running GSync w/o VSync enabled.

yasamoka likes this.
  17. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    Your supposed to

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No, you're supposed to cap your framerate to prevent framerates from exceeding your refresh rate and escaping the variable refresh rate window, then you're supposed to enable V-Sync to prevent frames that are slightly too quick from tearing. V-Sync induced input lag is pretty much absent in this case, and you gain full benefit from G-Sync / FreeSync.

19. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    How do you cap your framerate, i thought the idea of freesync is its all done for you?

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    When frames are at max or higher, VRR is essentially disabled, so you will have the input lag if VSync/Fast Sync is enabled. When VRR is enabled, VSync still will do frame timing compensation to keep things smooth. However, due to VRR, there will be minimal to no input lag.

You can use the game's built-in frame capping, or an application like RTSS to cap frames. General consensus is to use maxfps-3, tho you can experiment with this value. (Max refresh rate -1 works for me, which in my case is 58.996 on my 4K panel) By doing so, you prevent the drivers from flipping between full vsync at max and VRR at less than max, and avoid frame skipping/tearing.

I also prefer VSync to Fast Sync since it keeps the framerate to a minimum, and temps lower.

When working properly, everything in the VRR range is silk smooth. It may not be a perfect solution considering the need for frame capping, but it is the best solution.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019