MSI MEG Z390 ACE and i7-8086K OC

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by WebMaximus, Feb 5, 2019.

1. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Member

GPU:
    DDR3-2400 / 16GB
    I just built a new system based on the MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard, an i7-8086K and 4x8 GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR4 RGB memory with the goal to find the highest possible but yet stable and safe 24/7 OC.

The CPU has been delidded and the thermal paste replaced by liquid metal. I'm using a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum for cooling in a Corsair 500D RGB SE case with 3 120mm fans as intake in the front and one 120mm fan in the back as exhaust. The H115i's 140mm fans is in a push config.

At this point I've been able to reach what so far seems to be a stable OC of 5.1 GHz with the below changes done in BIOS. The highest temp after stress-testing the CPU is about 75 C.

CPU Ratio: 51
    CPU Ratio Mode: Fixed
    XMP: Enabled
    CPU LLC: Mode 2
    CPU Core Voltage Mode: Override
    CPU Core Voltage: 1.300
    Intel Virtualization Tech: Disabled
    Intel C-State: Disabled
    Intel Speed Shift Technology: Disabled

I have tried going for 5.2 GHz but so far with no luck. Mostly, it will BSOD during Windows startup. Have been able to get into Windows a couple of times but no stability when stress-testing.

The highest voltage I've tried to make it stable at this point is 1.375. I know most people agree it's fine all the way up to 1.4 but since my goal isn't to receive a single top score running a benchmark but rather find the highest but still stable and safe 24/7 OC as mentioned above, I rather not go too crazy with the voltage.

So my question to you guys is if I missed some important setting that would likely allow me to get a higher OC?

Many thanks in advance for any tips and input!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

What AVX offset are you using?

Temperatures at 5.1GHz are not bad there, I usually test all OC in Asus Realbench, if there is stable then OC should be stable in gaming or rendering

1.375v is not bad for 5.2GHz, have look friend 8700k is proper dud and will do 5.1GHz at 1.4v, other friend 8086k will do 5.2GHz at 1.375-1.376v

If temperatures are OK then I would run that OC, what cache are you running ?

Wgat System Agent are you running etc?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Member

GPU:
    DDR3-2400 / 16GB
    Thanks for your input and the quick answer since I'm currently not at my computer is everything is set to Auto/Default except for the settings I listed in my first post.

Considering the difference between let's say 5.1 and 5.2 outside benchmarking is marginal, I might actually stay at 5.1 since I'm able to at great both voltage and temps.

But sure...if there was some magical setting I missed that would allow me to get to 5.2 still at fairly low (safe for 24/7 OC) voltage and temps, I'm all in for it :)

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Skip 5.2. Stick with 5.1. Gains are minimal. Do not do avx offset as some games already using it. Unless u don't game...
    Anyway. If all seems good at 5.1, try to oc memory. Here can be huge gains, more visible than 5.2ghz on cpu

5. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Member

GPU:
    DDR3-2400 / 16GB
    I guess what you suggest is how it will turn out and the smartest thing to do.

It's not that I'm not already happy with 5.1 GHz. More that I want to make sure I don't miss some option somewhere that would have allowed me to go to 5.2 or whatever and still with good temps and a safe voltage if I only had knew about it.

As for memory OC'ing, I read or heard somewhere the gains going above 3200 MHz and CL 15-16 or thereabout is minimal with today's CPUs. Will give it a go though just for the fun of it :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019