Radeon VII (Vega 7nm) - Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jan 20, 2019.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  2. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    There is a dual bios...just not as your remember...its a Vbios but that doesn't mean dual I guess so have to wait for confirmation

https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Phantom Gaming X Radeon VII 16G/#BIOS

quite a few details on that page I'm excited to see the launch but not going to jump on one any time soon(V64 is still doing just fine thanks)

Clock: GPU / Memory
    Boost Clock: 1750 MHz / 1 GHz
    Base Clock: 1400 MHz / 1 GHz
    • Key Specification
      AMD Radeon VII Graphics
      GPU with 7nm Process Technology
      16GB 4096-bit HBM2
      3 x DisplayPort / HDMI
      280 x 125 x 40 mm
    • Key Features
      Triple Fan Design
      Metal Backplate
      8K Resolution Support
      AMD Eyefinity Technology
      Radeon FreeSync™ 2 HDR

Embra and JonasBeckman like this.
  3. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    I wonder if crossfire is any good on these seeing as 2 is the price of a decent in stock 2080ti

4. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    apparently there is no crossfire on this card (according to GN teardown I watched) mind you I have not seen any other reports but I haven't really been looking I will wait till review day.

and looking at the asrock specs it notes 1400 bas and 1750 boost...if that's the case isn't the LC vega 64 1408 base and 1688 boost...and if so where's there extra oomph apart from the ram and ram speed etc...I would expect a bit more with the massive die shrink

5. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    If this is true then, looks like Radeon 7 it pixxes all over GTX 2080's crown in most of the applications...Just scroll the Video to bench results!

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Hmm, soon we will find out, what they do in Vega 7nm :D
    1.33m The benchmarks
    (not 100% Valid, but still close to AMD/ATI tech press)
    2-3 dayZ

7. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Question, I can do either 8k(4320p/4800) on my yamakasi 2560X1600 ips lcd monitor with the dsr Smoothscalingdata registry change, my main question is can I obtain 8k, with at least 4320p(16:9 aspect ratio) with the amd vsr??? or am I limited to 5k(2880p)?

Or only way to achieve 8k vsr is to get a 4k monitor correct?

8. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Why wouldn't it do CF? The architecture and drivermodel wouldn't be much different ?

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    It will have same CF as other GPUs :cool:

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

11. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    ok going by the msi site it does mention crossfire
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-VII-16G/Specification
    but again it backs up the asrock site with the speeds 1400 bas and 1750 boost which is again a little lower than the 1800 spouted around the place (of course they could all be wrong :) ) and still begs the questions why a 7nm gpu is only getting 68 more on boost than a lC vega64....
    they also have the data sheet there for a looksee but just says the same thing.
    MSI have nothing under support though.
    on another note I just grabbed the vbios from asrock and it is a tad weird...an exe file with a a pile of dll files the install sheet basically says open cmd prompt run exe from there so no actual bios file.
    this might make modifying the bios a little tricky :)

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RVEGA20-16GD-B#sp

gigabyte says the same thing but no mention of crossfire

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    as it stands with currently available cards, yes that appears to be the case 1440p limited to 5k and 2160p 8k ect.

HOWEVER, i should mention that amd vsr is different from nvidia's dsr. nvidia seems to do somekind of software based scaling, where you can adjust the "smoothness" and resolution more freely(kinda like GeDoSaTo) . where as VSR appears to be straight hardware down-scaling, its much more akin to how some lcd monitors will accept higher resolutions than native, and do down-scaling on the panel itself.

I'll see if i can make a side by side comparison for you, since i have a dsr capable gpu.

that said, on linux the limits for down-scaling are different, I suspect that amd simply needs to get their new DAL code working on windows in-order to support higher resolutions.

edit:, took some closeup pictures of a spot on the screen, with vsr 4x , dsr 4x +33%, dsr 4x +0% , dsr x16 +0% and dsr 16x+15% smoothing,

vsr 4x lands between dsr 4x +0% smoothing and i'd say dsr 4x + <10%, i can definitely see why you want 8k though, the sharpness is quite good at 16x, even at 15% smoothing. (my fermi card might only do 2fps at that resolution, but its enough for a visual comparison.)

hopefully amd will improve their vsr implementation, ill try testing scaling on linux at somepoint since it has the newer displaycode, see how that fairs, and maybe clean up some of the images to post, for direct comparison(the iso of the camera kinda borked the brightness a bit)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OnnA likes this.
  14. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Performance is looking very good. It looks like the only downside is the price. Still i have the funds, so bring it.

G13Homi and OnnA like this.
  15. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    I just saw on a local site MSI released the RRP here in ozstralia $1149 and at that price you can bite my lilly white ass $400 more than a xfx vega LC for what sort of performance difference....

nope just nope

16. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Strange results, radeon is often faster in FC5, WolfCollossus and SOM?

17. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64

OnnA likes this.
  18. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    It's up on amd.com now, just placed an order!

Maddness and OnnA like this.
  19. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Nice card,but looks like have trouble with base copper radiator.Thats why AMD put Hitachi graphite thermal pad.
    After all,like other RAdeon cards,need to be undervolted and wait 6 months of better drivers.

https://i.**********/bJTJCGQr/radeon-mounting-pressure.jpg

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    @Turanis i think Vega64 owners are quite satisfied with thier purchase while 1080 owners are already eager to upgrade. Same will happen with RVII and 2080.