For 2080 / ti owners, asking for recommendation

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by euskai, Feb 1, 2019.

1. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Well, it seems my 1070ti is starting to struggle since I upgraded my resolution, and since money is not a problem, I was thinking about upgrading. So far I've got:

2080:

-Not sure if it will be that much of an upgrade for the price
    -Less stupid price that 2080ti
    -Still looks powerful, even if less that ti

1080ti ti:

-I missed the time when they could be bought 2nd hand for less than 500€
    -Second hand ones have a good chance to have been used for mining 24/7 for months/years, so reliability is a problem
    -New ones are find to one, and at this point in my country more expensive that 2080

2080ti:

-Certainly not a weak upgrade, performance should be everything I want and probably more
    -I like my cards quiet, and the ti is really power hungry, it should make it more difficult for the cooling
    -Money might not be a problem, but I still think price is stupid.

Now my specs:

i8600k@4600
    16GB RAM @3200
    3440x1440. Lower res is not an option, I got it and now I can't go back, 2K and ultrawide is just glorious.
    60/85/100/144Hz. But mostly 85/100. 60 might be good enough with time, but after buying a new card I want more. I don't really need 144
    SSD, power supply with enough oomph for any card, blahblahblah

1080ti seems to be out of the picture for me, the question is for people using my resolution, is the 2080 not just "enough" but a solid upgrade? How is the jump from 1070ti and that res? Or maybe 2080ti is the only place to go at the end at high res?

Maybe someone that was in the same spot at me got a 2080 / ti can share their experience about it.

Thank you for the help people.

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I recently upgraded from a 1080 to a 2080. I game at 2560*1440 on a 165hz monitor.

I aim for 100fps+. The 1080 would not get me there. I would see around 80fps in games I play. Also, I needed a boost for VR where hittting 90fps is crucial. Now I'm sitting on 110fps+ in the most demanding games with a touch of tweaking. Some less demanding games just fly.

You do use a higher resolution. So... seeing as money is not a problem, I'd go with the 2080ti, especially if you want to run more than 60fps.

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, a 2080 would do well, would hit over 60fps in most games, especially if he doesn't mind dropping some settings.

Both are great cards but the 2080ti is the one I'd go for, if money was not an issue.

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    2080ti would be a noticable upgrade,

other point, 1080ti used gddr5x, which afaik wasnt favourable with miners, so i doubt many where used for such.

5. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Thank you guys.

After reading the replies, at the price of a 2080 I think I'm not going to compromise. If it's going to be expensive it might as well be a huge upgrade, so I'm going for the 2080ti.

I have the weekend to decide between MSI trio and Gygabyte Aorus, which seems to be the best ones on noise/temps.

Basically what I posted in other thread, but in the thread where I should have posted it :p

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Personally find MSI great for durability, over gigabyte. Also the gigabyte rgb software seems like something wrote in the 90s

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Although I don't have a 2080Ti, I do like my MSI cards. They're silent enough and perform well plus look nice.
    I agree that your decision to buy a 2080Ti is the best one at least with that monitor.
    I'm playing at 3440x1440@95Hz and sure, the 2080 (which is equivalent to my 1080Ti) would give you over 60fps in all games it takes more than that, at least for me, to achieve those 95fps at all times I would like to have.

So with that said I'm sure your new card will live up to your expectations (let's pray that it doesn't break down like some have and apparently continue to do)

8. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    I think I'm going for the MSI Trio, even if the thing is power hungry as hell.

2x8 +1x6 pin connectors for a 315W peak according to guru3d review.

Since I should have power to spare, I wonder if I cand dial the OC back a little until future games start to demand everything the card has.

Then again, if the card is good about noise as the review suggest it might not be worth it.

I probably need to give it a ride and get a decent fan speed profile before changing anything.

Maddness likes this.
  9. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I have the 2080 trio awesome cooler my Gpu has not gone over 54c gaming and that overclocked to 2085 core and mem +1000 I have fans set to 40% then ramp up to 100% @70c can only just hear the fans my 2080 is slightly faster than my old Msi 1080ti gaming X overclocked

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    After reading the "money is not an issue" part of the OP, why go with anything other than 2080Ti or Titan V/RTX?

11. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Well, money is not an issue means I didn't close the door to the 2080ti for its price. If considering all the rest it was the best option I'd take it (and I took it)

That doesn't mean that I'm going to throw away money without knowing if I'm going to get any real benefit or it's complete overkill.

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ah, okay. No offense, probably just different understandings of the phrase due to growing up in different areas of the world.

That being said, I've always bought more GPU power than I might need since it allows you more time between upgrades as well as being able to use things like SSAA and/or DSR when appropriate. For example, I had a blast playing Titan Quest with a friend at 8k resolution. Did I need to? No. Did the 1080Ti handle it just fine? Yes, and it looked quite incredible for being a decade old game.

13. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Well I got my new card. When I was going to buy I noticed Asus STRIX version was available, first time I'd seen it in my country, so I went for it, considering all reviews say quiet mode is reasonable cool and most quiet 2080ti you can get.

I've always had big cards, long, 2-2.5-3 slots, but this is the biggest card I've seen by far. It's not that it's just 2.5 slots, the thing is so long I even feared it would fit in my quite decent-sized case.

In the end it fitted, but damm it's big.

Time to do some maintenance, upgrade drivers and take some tests, see if everything is OK.

EDIT: Timespy GPU score 14200, it seems OK. I'm a little dissapointed by the 11400 global sore, but having only 6 cores on my 8600K is probably the cause here. Nothing that I worry about for gaming, at least for a few years.

EDIT: Well, this thing is not just most expensive that any card I got before, it's more expensive that many of my rigs (not including monitor)

But it is a beast. I've thrown at it, at 3440x1440, BFV, Witcher 3, RE2 remake, Total War WH 2, Farcry 5. Nothing that the card could not destroy without a sweat.

Not only that, I've been shopping for quiet components more that 12 years, sometime buying the cards wih biggest, best cooling systems, sometime buying and installing aftermarket cooling on my own. This is probably the most quiet card I've ever owned, period

And temps are more than OK, which is remarkable at those sound levels for a card that can go near 300W

So overall, thank you people for encouraging me to indulge myself and get the card. I might have paid a ridiculous price but frack if I'm not getting everything I paid for and more.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    tensai28, BuildeR2 and Maddness like this.