BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 & I7 4790K High Temps

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by KodiaRok, Jan 31, 2019.

1. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Hello Guys

I own since a couple of days an Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler. I replaced my NZXT AIO Cooler which is over 4 Years old and wanted to go with a good Air Cooler. I made some Screenshots from CoreTemp Tool before the replacement and after the new Installation and the Temps are either highly inaccurate or something is wrong...

With my AIO Cooler I had on Idle 35 degrees Celsius and during load it never went up and over 65 degrees Celsius.

The new Dark Rock Pro 4 runs on Idle at 40-42 degrees Celsius and under load it goes up towards 78 degrees...that's a massive difference!
    At first I used the Thermal Compound which came with the Cooler and changed after to the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal compound, no change...

I have no idea what is wrong with the Cooler or CPU, looking at the Review with a I7 4790K, I am far far away from those 25 degrees in Idle with the i7 4790k.

I also saw that on top of the cpu there is something which I can't get rid of, as it would be some sort of a manufacturing error, problem is...it sticks out a bit and is very hard and it doesnt come off.

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be the problem? I may check tonight with cpuid and see if I get a different reading.

Cheers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Is that temp overclocked or at proc defaults?

At 1.3V tweaked we reached 75 Degrees C with that cooler which is pretty close to what you are seeing.

Btw your heatspreader surface needs to be flat. Use some sandpaper.

[​IMG]

3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Sound like the cooler isnt sitting fully flush onto the cpu,, use a bit of sandpaper to smooth the bump

i use a rajintek thermis with a fan from a bequiet dark rock pro 3 ( DRP3 too big for my new case )

under load at 4.6 with 1.225v max 65c under load .. idles around 30c

4. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Hello Hilbert

How are you mate? Thanks for the fast reply :)
    The Temps are default, so my cpu is not overclocked. It kinda worries me to have such a massive jump in temps.

Cheers

5. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Ok, it really seems that something is wrong, probably the bump which is part of the heatspreader..
    It's kinda weird I haven't had this problem with my AIO Cooler before, and I made sure I used the right amount of thermal paste.

6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Yeah mate thats why it sounds like the bump,, bit of a rub with sandpaper should sort it out

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sandpaper it out as it likely is the issue, and also recheck the mounting mechanism. Also check your fan RPM settings in the BIOS, albeit I doubt it's that. At defaults really, you are ~15c above what it should be (under load).

8. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    Yeah and my GPU is getting a lot from that Heat from the Cooler ...
    I guess i need a very fine sandpaper to not damage the cpu heatspreader.