Warframe worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Serotonin, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I like looter shooters. I've played too many hours of Division. I haven't played in a year because I moved to Destiny 2. Now I'm kind of over both. Especially with Division 2 so close, I'm waiting. BUT, doesn't mean if something else is out there I can't enjoy it in the meantime. So, I gave that Anthem demo a shot and it's a turd. Nothing original. Rather disappointed.

So..I keep seeing Warframe pop up. Now it's free, so why don't I just try it and why make a thread? Because I'm on comcast internet that limits you to an X amount of bandwidth per month, and since we stream our tv as well, bandwidth is precious here. So before I waste 50-80GB of precious bandwidth, I'd like to know if it's worthwhile.

How are the upgrades? Do you just pick up drops after killing enemies like the other looters? Is it closer to Destiny or Division? Thanks in advance.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I've no experience with Division so I can't say. I remember getting drops for gear and guns in D2 but didn't enjoy it or was impressed with the drops.

I'm playing Warframe these days and enjoy it. It took me a while to understand its mechanics but once it clicked, I couldn't stop playing it. There's a major update on the horizon that will improve the new player experience.

There's a star map like mass effect and you do missions on the planets and unlock relays to the next planet. You get blueprints for gear/warframes and resources to craft them. You don't get the actual gear as drops (from what I've played). There's a premium currency called platinum but only cosmetic items are really gated behind them. You can buy resources, guns, and warframes with platinum if you want to though. There is boss/planet farming for warframe and weapon blueprints and resources. I don't know much about the end game as I'm quite far off from all that but I see myself playing enough to reach all that. Community is generally helpful and polite unlike most online games so I like to stick around.

cerebus23 and Serotonin like this.
  3. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Good thread, i'm currently trying to get a feel for Warframe as well. My expectations with f2p titles is just they're mostly fun for a couple days and then you hit the pay4fun barrier. And i'm afraid to have wasted all those days before that.

I was reading about spaceship combat is being planned atm.

cerebus23 and Serotonin like this.
  4. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    I played The Division, Destiny 2, Anthem VIP Demo and Warframe. The Division, I stopped right before they open up the ship area. Destiny 2, all three characters at 650. Anthem VIP, crashed at end of second mission reward screen and never bother to go back. Warframe, 2600 hours of play time.

I can tell you, Division, Destiny 2 and Warframe are different games. The thing that make WF diff from the other games is that it utilize a MOD system. Basically, you get a WF or Weapon, you customized with mods to make it powerful or the way you want to play. Each Warframe have four unique abilities. Weapons all have their own unique destruction power based on critical chance and status effect. Some Warframe can also boost your weapons stats, etc.. There is no random roll drop weapon like The Division or Destiny 2. As you get to customize your weapon with mods. Once you get the mod, you can use it on other weapons, you don't have to re-farm them.

It is true that you can play WF completely free, as the platinum can be earn by selling stuff among players. It took me 20 hours to click on Warframe, and that seem like the norm for anyone to truly see WF potential. It is a really fun game. I highly recommended if you like The Division, and Destiny 2. One note is, when you get a 75% platinum sale, and you like the game, get the $50 bundle. Also, platinum is a required source for buying slots to house your warframes, weapons, and end-game mods (Purple color mods ;).

imho, Anthem is more like Warframe. Also, WF have always been FREE! And it is constantly update and patch. Since your bandwidth is limited, I thought that something you might consider taking into consideration. WF do listen very much to the community a lot. Hence, it constantly patching. 1-3 times a week.

Also, do not play WF solo. Imho, it is really boring solo. Much more fun when MP. It have a fast matching system, and work very well. It really make D2 matching system look like crap. Communication is pretty easy and straightforward in WF.

Serotonin likes this.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm sure Alex13 will chime in soon, being a WF player for many years. I personally tried but never connected with the game.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600 hours? Oh god ... 2600 hours of Ordis >_< :D :p

7. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    lol.. yeah.. got just a little bit addicted to the game. But after trying out the free D2, I'm able to quit the WF addiction. Now I'm bored with all loot games. lol Back to the good old sp story game now. :)

8. Gabriele Coulson

Gabriele Coulson Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1060
    I've played warframe on and off for quite a while. It's definitely one of the better free to play games out there if your pc can manage it. Its not pay2win by any means because its mostly PvE, I tried PvP a bit but that's not the highlight of the game. Investing a lil bit of money definitely pays off as you can have more warframes and weapons to play with and have some variety and if you play long enough you can start earning platinum in game. Yep, you can trade for the real-money currency between players for rare drops. I've found some loadouts that I really enjoy and now I just work on improving them. There is a lot of grind in the game, but I really like the action and shooting mechanics and the movement is very well done. For me its just so relaxing to take my golden gun or bow and just mow down hordes of space aliens in some pretty environments. The beginning of the game is rough, but once you get into it it's really deep and fun.

Serotonin likes this.
  9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    F2P done right (about as rare as The Amazing Spiderman #1)

But it is a damn fine game with an exceptional dev team that care about their product, and more importantly, how they are perceived by their customers.

Serotonin likes this.
  10. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Seriously, Warfare is really nice. And i feel as if it respects the players more than other F2P games.
    I like swishing swooshing and shooting in that game.

Serotonin likes this.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Guru's convinced me. Downloading. Thanks guys!

12. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Are you still enjoying it? I started playing 65 days ago, 264 hours played already :D

BangTail likes this.
  13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Actually I ended up playing division again. 2 weeks later, level 25 and about 28 hours into it. Lol. Wife is on vacation. Perfect timing.

BangTail likes this.