Colorful Sells Barebone GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (no cooler)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 25, 2019.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    $20
    So instead of paying $1,499.99 you will only have to pay $1,479.99
    you could buy an extra thumb drive or something....

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    RTX is over-priced and underwhelming. This is a cool concept and something users have been asking for for years. Too bad it came on a card that SHOULD NOT sell a single unit due to that ridiculous price.

carnivore and airbud7 like this.
  3. PraetoriaN_IT

PraetoriaN_IT Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 780Ti
    Maybe.

4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    PraetoriaN_IT your claim make little sense. And you know. If your years of building pc hardware for friends gave you statistics, either the failing rate of that brand is 100% it means you bought one, got bad luck, and bought something else.

Broken hardware is normal, it happens, nothing has to do with brands that use reference boards.

5. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    On paper, good idea.

But what about if you decide to resell it?
    Pretty unclear market

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Your reasoning doesn't make sense.

Colorful doesn't make reference cards(neither do any other AiBs)
    So you might as well not buy AMD or nvidia whenever a reference card dies as the brand you bought never manufactured it.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Every company has fail rates. Literally.....Ever......Company........

The fact that you received a dead card, is not on the company.

The fact that you reacted so irrationally about it, that's on you.

The only problem i see here is you and your reaction. Don't go telling people to not buy from a specific company because of "one" experience you had that is invalid in a whole, for all you know, the issue with that graphics card, was the GPU itself, produced by AMD, so are you also boycotting all of AMD products as well? I really hope you are, to make certain you stay within your "one-issue limit" for toleration.

sykozis and DLG like this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm shocked it's taken this long for someone to realize there's a market for this.

Most computer parts, including GPUs, tend to be tested before being shipped. Unless something like a capacitor falls off during shipping, if the product fails, 99% of the time it's the consumer's fault. In the case of GPUs, that's typically due to a crappy/insufficient PSU, or handling it wrong. I would find it very hard to believe that Colorful doesn't test their products before boxing them.

9. bulldog75

bulldog75 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC 8G
    Does that also mean that its faster too?
    LoL.

10. Lol, had one card go bad so will never buy that brand again and warns others to stay away....

I've been in the admin business for a long time now, and have had stuff of every brand and price range come doa, or burn up on first install, or die after 3 days, or 3 months........or last for 10 years and never hiccup once.

As for the card, what a great idea. Removing stock cooling is always a tedious part of custom cooling. Would like to see bare motherboards too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2019

11. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    He had a bad experience with a brand and decides to spend his money elsewhere. I dont see what the big deal is here. Why go with someone who failed you when you're spoiled for choice?

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Because it serves no purpose. If that is what you do, then at some point all brands will not be available to you.

I mean sure, if you do some actual RESEARCH to find out if one company or product has a high failrate, then you'd be finding out some actually useful information. For instance i dont buy seagate currently, i buy HGST, why? Because the recorded STATISTICS that are available have shown (have not looked in awhile) that seagate had the highest failrate and HGST had the lowest. Does that mean if i got an HGST and it failed i will i no longer use HGST? Absolutely not, the actual STATISTICS show that i would have had bad luck.

But realistically, the main reason its an issue is he is warning people to not buy a product because...all products have a fail rate? And has nothing to do with the manufacturer. Thats wrong.

carnivore and Undying like this.
  13. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    i'd love if more manufacturers did this :D and if they could at least guarantee there's no coil whine coming from that card (as waterblocks amplify the noise ruining your plans of a silent build T.T).

on general watercooling i found the most uncomfortable thing by far to remove the cooler from the gpu, that thing is always soo damn on there that you need to flex the board a wee bit wile rocking it a bit to get it to separate, highly unconformable.

but now thats been replaced by rigid tubing and the leaktest when you first fill it ^^" (worst i've had with flexi tubing was a minor drip, where i've had 2-3 full blown yea it's escaping the loop at an alarming rate scenario's with rigid not exactly getting me confortable with it).

14. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Still nice to have the original cooler to put back on and sell when it is time to upgrade your card, pros and cons.

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Most high end car companies charge extra for changes made from the standard production line version. This is not unique to Porsche. Porsche is just one of the few that lists those prices in their car configurator

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In that case, I should write off Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock, Visiontek, Sapphire, Corsair, Seagate, WD, Visiontek and god knows how many other brands.... Guess I'd need a new hobby if I were to follow your logic.....

If it was a repeat occurrence, I'd agree. However, it was a 1-time event. The first Asus motherboard I purchased failed in only a few days. The first MSI board only last a few weeks. The first Sapphire card was DOA. The first Visiontek card almost got me sued. In the case of Gigabyte, I've had 5 products with their branding. I'm 1-4 on Gigabyte products lasting more than 7 days.... Eventually "choice" starts to dry up if you abandon every brand that fails you 1 time.

17. hurobot

hurobot Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Clsfd
    agree, good option, bad product price, that can't be so economical

18. Jericho2013

Jericho2013 Guest

GPU:
    2 x 2080 Ti in SLI
    This is brilliant! I wish every company offered this option. I wouldn't even care if there was a discount. It's worth it to save myself the hassle especially with the 2080 ti cards. I don't know anything about the Colorful brand but if they offered an advanced exchange I would buy from them since it's reference.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This would be a better option than ever offering a "blower style" cooler.....lol

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I hink this is a good move, saving heatsinks where they'd just end up sitting inside a box... yet it comes down to a serious price drop. If it doesn't get a significant price drop like 50-100$, it probably won't be a real feature to grab people's interest.