For Gaming and Net Surfing - Is M.2 Worthwhile Over SSD?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Turbohow, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Turbohow

Turbohow Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 - Twin Frozr
    I'm going to update my gaming PC soon and I'm torn between the M.2 or the standard SSD - both 1Tb in size. I'm not sure if the M.2 speeds will be that noticeable. I game 2-3 nights a week with some friends - Battlefield V and Rainbow 6 Siege, as well as do some casual net surfing, youtube watching.

Thanks everyone.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I doubt you will notice a difference.

3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Not at all, only few games loads faster with NVME SSD, like Kingdom Comes or perhaps some MMOs, where alot of files are loaded.
    I have SATAIII and NVME SSD now so i can compare.

4. m1keyuk1

m1keyuk1 Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Why tell him rubbish it depends on nvme drive high end m.2 willwill noticeably faster over standard ssd only low speed or Sata nvme drives will show no difference don't give false facts.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You're confusing M.2 and NVMe.

6. m1keyuk1

m1keyuk1 Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    nvme & m.2 are architecture Sata Is type of form factor ie Sata 1-3 is related to speed and type of drive u cancan have Sata nvme same speed as Sata 3 or nvme m.2 which is different architecture and faster speeds but can vary from just above Sata speeds upto x5 faster depending on technology used.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Regardless of the difference in speeds between "NVMe attached" and "SATA attached" M.2 devices most of game loading time usually is not related to reading files from disk. So the speed bump will not be that noticeable for games.

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    To put it more correctly ...difference in loading time is barely noticeable btw. SATAIII and NVME SSD. (fastest SATA3 SSD vs fastest NVME SSD)
    At least for current games.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Calm down there jethro.
    NVMe isn't noticeably faster in games compared to top end sata SSDs in 99% of games.

Most games load file assets in small file sizes and NVMe isn't significantly faster than sata in read/write in such situations.
    So the statement that it will hardly be noticeably is a true one.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You've further confused everything. M.2 is not architecture, it's an interface. NVMe is not architecture, it's protocol. SATA is not form factor, it's protocol. There's nothing called SATA NVMe. M.2 NVMe is an NVMe drive in an M.2 form factor (which can be different).

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But as I take it there are SATA M.2 drives, right? It looks like m1keyuk1 meant namely that - M.2 on NVMe is faster than M.2 on SATA.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Load time difference between the two is barely noticeable. Go with whatever you can afford or better yet, get an M.2 for the OS and some apps and a standard SSD for games.

Passus likes this.
  13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    It will load your games much quicker, has a smaller form factor and requires no cables. I pulled out both of my 250gb SSDs in favor of one 250gb M.2 drive.

However I would never spend that kind of money on a 1tb drive (regardless of form factor) and in your case I would just get whatever is the cheapest.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    How much quicker?
    In what games?

15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Post results. I'm not convinced that there's any real performance advantage with m.2 for gaming.
    Aren't they for editors and such? Like 4k processing etc.

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    1-2 seconds can feel like a lifetime when you switch often between cars and tracks, but I've seen higher gains in AC and problematic PC2.

However my previous ones were always full (shouldn't affect my reads though), but just get that M.2 and you'll be happy, there's only benefits.

17. Carbonic

Carbonic Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Yes there are performance differences between nvme and sata SSDs for gaming. It affects load times, in games with lots of loading this makes a difference. See

for some quick real world gaming comparisons if you like.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.