Awkward: Nest cameras speaker abused to tell victims to subscribe to Youtube channels

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    sverek likes this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This is actually wholesome. Could of been much worse.
    Does the attacker access camera by its exposed public IP address port?

Anyway, shame on Nest for not assigning unique password for each device.

3. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    I agree, ALL devices should be made to have a unique password from manufacture.
    This Default Password rubbish, has to stop.

4. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I gotta say, sometimes I'm completely shocked at how tech-illiterate the public at large are.

carnivore and RzrTrek like this.

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Right, like the ISPs just provide you with a router with a ssid/password already setup. Why is that so hard.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Probably cutting costs by installing same software on all devices. (no further step to change settings for each device)

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    lol I can't tell if people like this are trying to sabotage PewDiePie's subscriber count. There's a lot of people out there who sincerely want him to remain #1, but then there's people like this who just irritate people into not subscribing out of spite.

8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It has nothing to do with being tech-illiterate and more to do with being lazy and using the same password for everything.

I am also guilty of doing this but i've learned to use a password generator and then put it all down on paper, plus i now use an on screen keyboard that only generates clicks and not key presses.

Plus my mic is always muted unless i'm using it and i'd never attach a camera to my PC in the first place.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    most places that use "defualt" passwords actual tell you in the instructions you should change the password, not there fualt people dont read. On the other hand someplace actual do randomize the login password, any who another reason I dont have have Camera and mic attached to PC, and who the hell is the is pewdiepie and wth should I care?

Size_Mick likes this.
  10. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    This is almost a non-issue compared to what I'm planning to do with "smart" crockpots.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Part of the reason why I refuse to make accounts for what seems like every other site that wants it, is to avoid the risk of reusing passwords out of laziness. The cracker used data from previous pwns to do this. Thankfully it was just the stupid youtube rivalry and not something much worse.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Do what I do and use the same password on all websites that don't have anything incriminating attached to them. My account for Guru3D uses the same password as every forum account I use, and none of them have enough personal information where you could track me or steal valuable information. Meanwhile, all of my important stuff (like Google account, bank, credit card, tax stuff, insurance, etc) all have unique passwords.
    For something like a home security camera, if someone manages to hack into its password, you probably have bigger things to worry about on your network.

13. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    I am already watching all of you that have wifi and video in your refrigerators! Do you really need that piece of pie at 3:00 a.m.?

14. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    And then there was this one lol...………….A California family recently had a major scare when their Nest Cam started yelling out a nuclear missile warning, warning the family that North Korea had launched ICBMs towards the United States. What was first assumed a terrifying hack, though, turns out to simply be a case of poor password management.