Putting aside lag: what is the best settings for SMOOTHEST frame-pacing possible?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by aweigh0101, Jan 10, 2019.

1. aweigh0101

aweigh0101 Guest

Let's put aside lag for the moment and instead I want to know what is the SMOOTHEST most "synced" possible frame pacing combo of settings?

Traditional v-sync ENABLED + (if so desired) a frame-rate cap of choice?

or

Fast-sync ENABLED + Scanline-sync?

For the moment I'm not worried about lag, I want the most buttery-smooth frame-pacing possible. What options would you guys use?

2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Either try Scanline-sync in the latest RTSS, or do the low latency tweak from Blur Busters -> Vsync ON + set framerate limiter in RTSS to a value that equals your monitor's refresh rate - 0,01 (eg. 60 - 0,01 = 59,99).

I wouldn't bother with Fast Sync if you can't maintain a triple of your monitor's refresh rate. I've never been satisfied with it's functionality.

Also, may I use you for an experiment? I have recently noticed that having Vsync ON in a game (ingame or via drivers) AND turning on Scanline Sync in RTSS makes for a smoother, more responsive level of latency. It should not be possible, no? you could try it as well, and then tell me if you noticed it too, or if it's only a case of placebo on my end.

3. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    While Scanline Sync was originally designed for making VSYNC OFF tearlines disappear (creating a new low-lag VSYNC ON mode)...

...VSYNC ON / Fast Sync / Enhanced Sync can also work with Scanline Sync (to hide tearlines) with a new trick if you follow this HOWTO

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    The thing that works best for me for most of the games (also with DSR and high GPU,CPU usage) is to use a scanline sync value of 1 and enable Fast Sync in NVIDIA control panel.

Only issue with DSR is that it sometimes caps to 30fps though, so you might have to ALT TAB to windows and back in game for the full 60fps but i can live with that.

5. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    While lower lag than default VSYNC ON, that's not as optimal input-lag-wise.

If you prefer not to follow the HOWTO...
    ...Try Scanline sync value of 540 (1/2 refresh cycle delay at 1080p) to reduce lag by a half a refresh cycle. See if it doesn't stutter.
    ...Try Scanline sync value of 810 (3/4 refresh cycle delay at 1080p) to reduce lag by 3/4ths of a refresh cycle. See if it doesn't stutter.
    Your stutter safety margin will shrink but your input lag will go down.

Malik Sajid likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well if input lag is completely disregarded then I suppose Vsync + fps cap to monitor refresh rate will give smoothest results with least hassle.

7. Malik Sajid

Malik Sajid Member

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    So as for fast sync/enhanced sync, manually calibrating tearline above the bottom edge gives less input-lag than setting scanline sync value to 1 or 540 or 810 ?