MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    My card's power limit is raised a lot with liquid metal. (I really don't recommend doing that though unless you use something to ensure containment of the LM. Soldering different value shunt resistors is a safer idea as the liquid metal can "absorb" into the solder and then you have to replace the pads on the board)

That doesn't mean it will be stable though, lower voltage points on the curve may not be stable at the increased offset even if a higher point is - still that should get you reasonably close.

I mean technically if you wanted to go full overkill you'd want a 1+ hour run that manually tested more/all points. Imagine you could have rapidly varying loads from things like OCCT (with error checking), mining algorithms, BOINC, and the OC scanner test. PLUS quickly switching between voltage/frequency points to expose instability from the VRM not being able to supply voltage fast enough to accommodate the sudden spike in load at that frequency. You could use OCCT intermittently to artificially increase heat as you test a higher frequency that OCCT can't because of power throttling.

Actually a version of OCCT error checking that doesn't load hard enough to power throttle cards would be better. You could manually lock the steps to check them yourself... man that would be tedious.

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    glad to see MSI AB dealing GALAX 2080ti HOF crazy GPU that needed lots of cleaning using Regedit so i can control the fans and keep the OC values as stable as possible

power target is 150% with the new Vbios

[​IMG]

i wonder if Unwinder can add extra voltage control for this GPU since Galax HOF Ai got Memory voltage sliders and overvolting the core but that app is so not ready to use clicking apply in it won't do much

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

kx11 likes this.
  4. fat4l

fat4l Guest

GPU:
    Asus Ares 3 8GB
    Hi. any news on this ? thanks

5. Unwinder

Yep. I've checked internals of those updated components, they are identical to the ones included in beta 10 till the last bit. So they just have different file timestamps, probably due to packing them into archive on NVIDIA side. So no new version is expected.

fat4l likes this.
  6. Unwinder

All

Good news, AMD finally provided new ADL SDK to AIC partners, so MSI, Sapphire, Gigabyte and the rest can start updating their software to make fan control compatible with Adrenaline 2019 drivers series. I'll start working on it after NY holidays, after Jan 9. Hope it won't take long, so new beta of AB with fan control support is expected around mid January.

blitzo, bigcid1, cookieboyeli and 4 others like this.
  7. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    @Unwinder:

It looks like MSI Afterburner requires (what I assume to be) a small update to function with the DCH drivers. Manuel confirmed here. Maybe it could be updated to recognize the new location for nvml.dll? Many thanks.

[​IMG]

8. Unwinder

Wrong, cannot confirm that. Manuel is mistaking. It is NVIDIA’s own gpu_stressor.exe Scanner API component that is failing to locate nvml.dll in expected location on DCH driver. That applicationtion needs to be updated from their side to be DCH compilant. Once it is done and updated gpu_stressor.exe is available to partners from NVIDIA side THEN MSI AB can be updated to include that fixed component.

toyo likes this.
  9. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Got it, I'll let him know, thanks.

10. Unwinder: Is it possible for NVLink bus utilization to be shown for 2080/2080 Ti users running SLI? I see NVidia's
    nvidia-smi tool can obtain stats for this https://blog.exxactcorp.com/exploring-nvidia-nvlink-nvidia-smi-commands/

Maybe it's already possible, but I'm not looking in the right place. Some users in the community build custom SLI profiles and seeing link utilization statistics on this would be useful.

11. Unwinder

I'm not on SLI now so I cannot help with that, sorry. But you have plugins architecture now so you may create it yourself and share it with community.

12. Unwinder

Beta 11 is preparing to launch, link will be published once it is uploaded:

- Added fan control support for AMD Adrenalin 2019 drivers family. Please take a note that AMD Adrenalin 2019 drivers adjust fan speed in PWM duty cycle mode but fan speed monitoring is provided in RPM only, which means that you cannot read back exact programmed fan speed in %. Due to this limitation, MSI Afterburner is reporting fan speed as % of maximum RPM instead of real fan duty cycle when default AMD auto fan control is in use. So monitored fan speed % can slightly mismatch programmed fan speed curve if you’re using default AMD automatic fan control.
    - Fixed low-level GPU usage monitoring for AMD Polaris GPU family. Software SMC registers offset is no longer hardcoded, offset detection algorithm is more future proof now. Please take a note that it will not fix zero GPU load issue when “Enable unified GPU usage monitoring” option is enabled. This option implementation is based on low-level DirectX performance counters, which require OS and display driver WDDM versions to match. Current AMD drivers are WDDM 2.5 so this performance counter is only working when you’re under WDDM 2.5 OS (Windows October Update). If you’re under older OS version, this performance counter won’t work unless you downgrade to WDDM 2.4 driver (18.9.3 or older).
    - Now CPU topology info (i.e. each logical CPU mapping to physical CPU package and core) is displayed in system info window
    - Now mandatory MSI Afterburner installation option is greyed out and cannot be unchecked during installation
    - Now 64 –bit Visual C++ 2008 runtimes are also installed by MSI Afterburner installer. This should fix the issues with inability to open OC Scanner window on the system with no runtimes installed (typically no RTSS installed)
    - Right anchor voltage/frequency curve adjustment mode (<Ctrl> + point drag) is now working properly when maximum voltage limit is greater than the maximum point voltage
    - Updated database entries with final subsystem IDs for MSI 2080Ti Lightning family

bigcid1, Radier, ZAMHome and 4 others like this.
  13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  14. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
  15. ablev

ablev Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapph Nitro+ 5700XT
    Where can i download the older beta 10?
    The beta 11 works not for me.

16. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
  17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  18. Unwinder

That’s useful feedback (not). ;)

19. ablev

ablev Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapph Nitro+ 5700XT
    Yes,yes, i know, but my english is very bad.
    So i don´t know, how i can explain my problems with the new beta.
    Short version is, beta 11 reset my beta 10 settings and don´t save new settings.
    I want to go back to beta 10.

20. Unwinder

There are no changes in settings format / settings saving implementation between the versions.