Intel halts the production of its Core + Processor Optane Cache bundles

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    rl66 likes this.
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    the idea were good, but never reach the consumer full potential:
    -Over expensive price?
    -Lack of support?
    -Intel only?
    Optane cache is dead

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maybe becouse 16GB stick is nothing and makes no sense.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Something tells me that it has to do with recent "divorce" from join venture with Micron.
    Am I wrong?

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Micron might be saying the same thing I have been saying about Optane from the start. Intel has no idea how to market or implement Optane and Micron thinks they can do better.

This all started with Intel coming to market with a product that was not ready yet at a point where the intended use case for Optane cache was already in the past. They got both parts wrong.

A cheap 256GB SATA SSD and big HDD was far too cheap to make caching with Optane a viable option.

The only economically viable option for Optane isn't even supported by them. Read here for their interaction with me on this subject:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question...l-and-unoffical-optane-support?language=en_US

The synopses of that conversation was that a 2TB SATA SSD cached to a 58GB 800P Optane drive is both cheaper and faster than a 2TB NVMe SSD and that Intel does not care and wont support this.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my uncles pc has this, and he says he dont see much diffrence, a HDD is HDD still and that cache didnt help much not like SSD does

7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Probably the 16GB module, they should have never offered it. The 32 GB module does both block level and file level caching and the extra space helps a lot.

Compared to the 800P though both the 16 and 32 GB modules are quite pathetic.

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Loosely reminds me of Intel's original Rdram/cpu bundles many years back. In the end, Intel was *giving it away* and still couldn't ignite a general market interest in RDRAM over SDRAM/DDR! Generally, when Intel does these kinds of things it is clearing stocks of lackluster, proprietary or semi-proprietary products it has had trouble moving in the normal retail markets. One thing about Intel, though: the company has the money to burn and often burns it vigorously...;) AMD could never have afforded the level of mistakes Intel's past monopoly on x86 paid for!

On the HDD front, still awaiting the single HDDs with multiple stylus, multiple-platter drives doing the equivalent of RAID 0 internally...;) Also wondering what might happen with two or more such HDDs put in a RAID 0 configuration, on top of that! Haven't heard very much from the HDD makers about this recently, though--surely would be interesting to see, because presently the only clear advantage to HDD's over SSD's is sheer storage capacities and cost per GB. They might have already abandoned the concept, though--just haven't seen anything either way recently.

9. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13764/western-digital-2019-16tb-hdd-mamr-hamr

Meanwhile, the company is working on hard drives featuring two actuators that will arrive in 2020 or later.

https://blog.seagate.com/craftsman-ship/multi-actuator-technology-a-new-performance-breakthrough/

10. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    Perhaps one could use these for Microsoft's ReadyBoost?