Ryzen & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by testcy, Jan 17, 2019.

1. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    While looking for a motherboard I found that Raven Ridge supports Windows 10 only. Does this mean that Windows 7 is not supported? If I am correct Raven Ridge is every Ryzen with graphics. Does this also mean that every Ryzen without graphics (Summit Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) supports Windows 7? What about Raven Ridge with graphics disabled? Does it still support Windows 10 only?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Microsoft stopped adding support for new processors to Windows 7 a few years ago.

No socket AM4 or TR4 based processor is officially supported in Windows 7. The iGPU makes no difference in support. Microsoft publicly announced that they would not add support for Ryzen (or any other Zen based processor) to Windows 7.

On Intel side, Skylake and newer lack official support in Windows 7.

3. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    What about unofficial support?

4. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ryzen works with Win7, the problem is installing the USB 3 drivers, but if you have a PS-2 jack for mouse and use on screen keyboard to navigate then you can install without injecting drivers to the Windows image. And as far as Micro's security updates for Win7 & Ryzen that are blocked but there is a patch out there for a workaround to get the security updates.I don't see Micro countering this because 7 will be over in 2020 anyway. I am using Win7 with my 2700X right now but have the ASUS CHVII x470 and it has PS-2 jack. I'm assuming this is the question about support of Win7 working not whether Micro will help with problems with OS support. I highly doubt that Ryzen 3000 and new X570 chipset will allow it this time though.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Microsoft is not going to stop you from trying it. They also won't help get it working. Neither will AMD. If something doesn't work, you either find a way to make it work or do without it. This is Microsoft's way of trying to force people onto Windows 10.

6. I did it with a couple 1st gen ryzen boxes. It is not impossible, but drivers will be a bit tricky. Hit it with samdrivers and go from there. Probably won't ever run like you expect it to without modern os and software. There is a nag screen you will have to deal with once you get it updated.....but can be turned off easily enough.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Threadripper behaves better under 7 than it does 10, which is funny.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I was able to migrate my old i7 950 W7 install to a 2600x without issues. (And not even having to uninstall all of the old drivers somehow either) I just needed a PS/2 Keyboard in order to navigate the system to install the USB drivers.
    I didn't have to do a sysprep or anything. I tried using Acronis Universal Restore, but that just created the headache of not detecting the install because it was an MBR drive. If I converted it to GPT it messed up the activation and other stuff. It was actually easier to just re-image the drive back to the MBR version and just boot back into Windows as if nothing happened.
    I did need the patch to restore Windows update. I think this is a temp fix though as on the few benchmarks i've run so, performance seems to be slightly better in W10 CPU wise.
    I'll have to finish running benchmarks for everything to compare for sure though.(Been recording the same benchmarks across the upgrades)

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's just Microsoft remembering you that mainstrem support for Windows 7 ended 2 years and 1 month before Ryzen came out to the world. Extended support (which will end in less then year) is not meant for new features nor new hardware.
    When Ryzen came out Windows 8.1 was still in its mainstream lifecycle, that's why Windows 8.1 received official Ryzen support by Microsoft.

Yes you can switch back to Linux which has an amazing Ryzen kernel support... But you had to use at least one LTS or like with kernel version 4.10 or newer ..If we speak about Ubuntu it meant you had to use at least Ubuntu 17.04 (a non-LTS) if you want the first ryzen support... 17.04 which support ended 1 year after Ryzen was released, great! So you had to switch to 17.10 (another non-LTS) which support ended 6 month later after 17.04, and then switch to 18.04 LTS released 1 year after 17.04. Very comfortable, 3 OS so far.
    Oh wait, you say you could use 16.04 LTS since it got Kernel 4.10 and up? Yes of course, but 6 month after Ryzen was released, and good luck with the live upgrade. Wait, you could built the updated distro off-line on another system, and then install it on Ryzen, still after 6 to 7 months it was released? Damn you are right, that's probably what I would choose (I am serious) since 16.04 LTS support ended in 2021 (and that's the version I am still using).
    Back to Ryzen: now tall all this to the average Joe which doesn't know what a kernel is and may think that "Ryzen" it's an asian cereal brand.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Aura89 likes this.
  10. Deep Down

Deep Down Guest

GPU:
    NA/8GB
    Hi,

I have just joined the forum after discovering that my new Rysen 3 2200G will not work with win7 (64) in my new Asrock B450M Pro4 mb because of an ACPI issue in the BIOS. Searches reveal that some mb manufacturers have issued BIOS that overcomes the problem.

I contacted Asrock and was basically told - tough use Win10. As I don't want to do this but continue to use Win7, does anyone have any suggestions?

For information: when I install win7, all works until the first reboot when the coloured triangles appear. You see two but then the install hangs and the mb reboots with the error message about ACPI.

Grateful for any help.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Dump Asrock, get a better brand.

12. Deep Down

Deep Down Guest

GPU:
    NA/8GB
    Thanks. What do you recommend?

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Why the Hell someone wants to put windows 7 in a ryzen build, really blows my mind.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I made the upgrade from 7pro to 10pro this past week and was ready to pay but somehow activated for free an i'm good to go....

I downloaded the Windows 10 media creation tool here> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    I was a hard core win7 supporter and i must say win10 is cool to...glad I did it.

386SX, platypus and Aura89 like this.
  15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Multithreading. :rolleyes:

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    ASRock is better than Windows 7.

386SX likes this.
  17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Asrock is fine..good quality boards.

386SX likes this.
  18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Even AMD finally officially put this into their Drivers Section.

Drivers and Software
    AMD software and drivers are designed to work best for up-to-date operating systems. Please be sure to update your operating system before installing drivers.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD chipset drivers are almost a joke.

20. Deep Down

Deep Down Guest

GPU:
    NA/8GB
    I don't like the Win10 interface (can be fixed by software which of course slows down the PC - probably negligible but it must occur), I hate not being able to control if and when I install updates - anyone have fix for this without nag screens appearing? and I have an aversion to bloatware