Fake PSU tests on this site?

Discussion in 'Hardware Reviews and News' started by -The_Mask-, Jan 8, 2019.

1. -The_Mask-

-The_Mask- Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950 WindForce
    I was reading the Seasonic Focus SGX-650 and Deepcool Gamer Storm DQ750-M Power Supply reviews, but both reviews look to have fake measurements. Simply because with the setup that was used it isn't possible to do measurements as show in those reviews. You need a load tester with a static load for measuring efficiency, ripple and voltage regulation.

2. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    This?

3. -The_Mask-

-The_Mask- Guest

GPU:
    Yes, that. With those equipment you can't do efficiency, voltage regulation and ripple measurements without a load tester who puts a static load on the power supply. That's why I asked if those numbers are fake and just random based on nothing.

4. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    Hey @-The_Mask-

I'm the author of these reviews.

That's an omission from my side, I make some measurements with my friend who has more professional stuff.

The ones that should be also listed are for sure:
    Voltcraft VC-850 Digital Multimeter - Voltage Measurement (+ Fluke 97 Scope meter)
    USB Oscilloscope - Stingray DS1M12

For DC load - it's an original solution, not an aftermarket one. I hope that makes it more clear?

5. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    The reviews that I prepare for PSU's are not as detailed as for example on http://www.jonnyguru.com/ (hot box etc), but definitely not fake.

6. -The_Mask-

-The_Mask- Guest

GPU:
    Thank you for your reply, but "an original solution" isn't really an answer of course. ;)

7. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    It was self-made. Do you need all the technical details? In my opinion - the more important are the devices to measure, than the thing creating the load. You could do it even using let's say light bulbs (not LED ones of course).