Afterburner does not keep my OC settings

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by famich, Jan 12, 2019.

1. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    Afterburner does not keep my OC settings -I have made a new fresh install of W10 with the latest update. /1809/

Newest Nvidia drivers, the card is RTX 2080Ti from EVGA.

Interestingly, Unigine Heaven keeps the OC settings, but Superposition drops the clock from 2160 to 1900+ despite the OC being applied.
    I have tried to reinstall the drivers with DDU, no avail. Now, are the Nvidia drivers that buggy or the AFB ..?

In games, BF V is OK, but GTA V sometimes drops the clock too.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Understanding of GPU overclocking basics is buggy. GPU Boost is a keyword for search.

HARDRESET likes this.
  3. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    I have had around a dozen graphic cards , so I do understand at least something. Why are you being so arrogant? When for instance BF V keeps on running OK,and it s very demanding game , and GTA V fails to apply the overclock, it could be the problem of AFB app, can it not ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  4. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    (@Unwinder correct me if I'm wrong) Afterburner set only the value possible in the NVAPI. So it is more a GUI (for that part at least) as an core application that set the OC.

If you have problem with the OC, do not search the Problem in Afterburner but in you System.

I have a 2080ti too, an not a sinlge Problem with OC and the lastest Version of Afterburner.

5. norton

norton Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    gta v has fps cap at 186 fps so i think when you reach this cap your OC will down a bit

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guys, this has been explained like a million times.

Clock frequencies these days are dynamic, not fixed. Your GPU is kept save as it is monitored by a plethora of algorithms. We call these limiters, so if a game or application hits its power usage target, it'll slow down. If the voltage usage hits its limiter, it'll slow down, it's the same for temperatures and other variables. Your graphics drivers can even detect software. Viral on the GPU software like Furmark, for example, will drop the GPU clock by even 25% the soon as it is detected. Therefore there is not a fixed let's say 2000 MHz frequency anymore.

Clocks with applied tweaks will vary per game and application. Overclocks these days are based on offsets. You add +100 MHz on that dynamic frequency. But at any given time that can be 1900 Mhz or 2100 MHz. That offset, however, is applied.

You'll gain the most from an increased power limiter, a bit of extra voltage and the added GPU clock offset combined with a nice memory tweak. The overclock once stable and applied will work, the end result due to the dynamic nature of clocks these days, will vary.

Andy_K, Undying and norton like this.
  7. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    OK, thanks a bunch, Hilbert. But still, why such a difference let us say between Heaven , Valley and Superstition ..?

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There is no real answer to that. Different triggers define different limiters, algorithms define that.

9. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    OK, fine enough. No big deal, really...

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I think you should Sticky this to the forum main page ;)