Freesync is BROKEN

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Synoxia, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    Anyone experiencing this same behaviour?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6yczvi/freesync_not_working_on_games_only_but_working_on/
    In my specific case it doesn't even work in pendulum demo... HZ are all over the place.
    This is especially worse into witcher 3, framelimiter especially breaks hz to the point they jump from to 60 to 100+ without following framerate properly (doesn't matter using Chill, FRTC or RTSS)
    Help this is driving me mad, i tried clean install with DDU, memory recall and install monitors driver 3 times... nothing.
    gpu vega 64 windows 1809 xg2401 monitor

EDIT: IT seems to work better on 120hz... this is a 144hz monitor... can't use full range with freesync???

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The only thing that matters is whether or not it looks smooth. If it looks smooth, then what the OSD says doesn't matter.

Synoxia likes this.
  3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I have the same monitor but never used the Nvidia Pendulum demo. Try AMD's Windmill Demo but use the Test Pattern because it is much easier to tell. First try with Vsync and Freesync both off. You will see a lot of tearing. Then just turn on Freesync and you should see no tearing at all. You can also try Vsync on and Freesync off and you should see no tearing but there will be judder. Then try both Vsync and Freesync on and it should be the same as with just Freesync on.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    >Viewsonic

now buy an panel thats actually of quality make.

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I tried the Freesync demo after upgrading 19.1.1 and the demo seems completely broken. It doesn't even work correctly with Freesync off. Don't know if it is the new driver or not. I haven't tested the demo in some time. But I downloaded the Nvidia Pendulum demo and it is working perfectly. Now isn't that ironic. :D

I took a closer look at your video and for some reason you set the min and max FPS to 30. Why? Don't forget that the range of this monitor is 48-144Hz. You need to use CRU to increase the range. I increased it from 30-144Hz. Min FPS that works is 31 though. At 30FPS, the monitor operates at 60Hz.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just a quick question, how can I tell what my default freesync ranges are?

I have a freesync monitor (but Nvidia GPU hoping new drivers will allow me to use freesync).

I can not find anywhere what version of freesync my monitor has, I know the original version of freesync only supported ranges from 30hz-90Hz I think it was but my monitor is 144Hz so that wouldn't be right.

This is my monitor: ROG Strix Curved XG32VQ

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Viewsonic doesn't make panels. Panels are only made by LG, Samsung and AUO.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    you can use CRU to check. (Custom resolution Utility)

Maddness likes this.
  9. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Freesync range is 48-144. That's actually very decent.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  10. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    AMD specificaly states never to use a frame limiter with Freesync.

"Do not use any sort of frame capping with FreeSync. The frame time analysis algorithms that govern FreeSync, FRTC or other methods will conflict and break both solutions"

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Interesting, I've never read that before. I know quite a few do use frame limiting and freesync to keep it in range without issue. Might end up being an issue with only some monitors.

12. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Yesteday i had some issues with the freesync not working, but alt-tabbed from the game and started working again.

13. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    It isn't. Sometimes it stutter/tear.

Windmill demo is broken on newer windows version. I am using 30 Because is where my freesync breaks the most... Our monitor has LFC which doubles the HZ to sync frames. You don't really need 30hz for 30 fps... if your monitor is working at 60hz with 30 fps then it's working properly. The problem here is that mine doesn't use 60hz for 30 fps but 70-80-90 which is not correct

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    MaCk0y likes this.
  14. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Maybe it's a Vega specific issue. I don't know if it makes any difference, but do you have the monitor driver installed? Although Windows overwrites it after some time.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    IIRC that source is very old, and quite frankly debunked. It's from the same blog that spoke about must having to use VSync with FreeSync.

16. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
  17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Yeah, it's been thoroughly discussed here in this forum. Blurbuster did a whole discussion on it on their site. The ideal setup for VRR is capping the maxfps-3 to keep the framerate in the VRR zone, and avoid swapping between VRR and VSync mode when maxed fps.

AMD_Robert was basically shown to not be 100% correct, despite being from AMD. Also that reddit thread is from when freeSync was new, so it's pretty old.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You have no idea.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nice argument.

[​IMG]

Caesar likes this.
  20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

Cheers guys, thanks for that.

Used CRU and it shows my monitor has indeed 48-144Hz range. Now gotta test it in games with the new driver.