REVIEW: GeForce RTX 2060 ( NVIDIA Founders)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Why is this recommended? mid range GPU for "350"? This is why they are price gauging (both nV and AMD). I guess we can expect cut down low-mid 2060 versions for "250-300" because reviewers will recommend those models anyway. And we will most likely get all 6 leaked models, because 90% of people will not spend 350+ on GPUs...

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Don't look at it as midrange for being x060 card. Look at it as almost 2070 for $350 instead of $500.
    RTX cards are more expensive per performance delivered, but this one has best performance per cost by far.

nVidia should have not shift naming. If they had naming like:
    2080Ti => Titan RTX
    2080 => 2080Ti
    2070 => 2080
    2060 => 2070

Then you would have new generation which would cost same money per performance grade. And would be practically side-grade. nVidia would be selling you RTX features in same manner.

$350 RTX 2070 would not look that bad, it would have almost same performance as actual 2070 has now.

3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Another excellent GPU review (as always). I was looking forward to learn more about the RTX 2060 and I would much rather have preferred higher performance with no RT or Tensor cores.

4. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    It is midrange. It is in same spot where 1060 6gb was 2.5 years ago (maybe even in worse spot because of 6gb of VRAM). Compared to 1070, you got 20% more performance (if you look from 1070) over 2.5 years for 5% less. Tech advances, it is normal to get more performance for less money. these GPUs will be obsolete before raytracing gets adopted. Because RTX impacts performance, price increase for feature is not justifiable. It maybe costs more to be manufactured, even that is questionable how much, but that is not the reason to justify price increase.
    RTX cards are under performing (compared to price ofc) but a lot of people and most of the journalists, if not all, are trying to justify its cost. The worst part is, to make rayracing usable in BF, they had to cut out most of it. It should be called screen space raytracing, because that is the only thing that RTX cards can do (and compared to the price, it is just barely done).

EDIT: Corrected 3 years into 2.5

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    carnivore likes this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like I thought equal to 1070ti

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Too much negativity in this thread....

Sure, the price of mid-range cards keeps increasing. I remember when you could easily buy a mid-range card for less than $200.... Those days are gone, unfortunately. NVidia is going to keep pushing prices higher. If you expect any less, you're going to be disappointed.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    GTX2060 is lousy and nothing new.

8. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Name at least 3 games that consumes more than 8 GB is 4K. While this GPU is for 1080p. And AMD Vega 56 is far more expensive and even more expensive than RTX 2070, yet slower in almost any game.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    ROFL. He has been doing this for at least 2 years that I can remember. I do not see it happening.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    think most of have come to expect that of people here. Am I happy the xx60 series prices is increasing or hell the price GPU in general from gen to gen from nvidia, No I saw it coming people will buy it reguardless and titan cards are proof of this. So long as the price GPU dont become more excessive then the sum of cpu/mobo/ram for entry level gpu It dont mater much to me but I think prices for GPU are just gona keep increasing there will be breaking point for people where enough is enough. I am personal already thinking of just dumping the PC for consoles, cause of prices just keep geting more crazy. and the day Console eco become that of PC in that I can play my game from last gen on new gen with better performance and better settings with having to "buy" a remaster is the I might dump pc gaming. but for that to happen certian thing consoles have need to be done way with which i dont see happening.

I honestly saw the 2060 be equal to 1070ti anyway. upset sure if I waited another year and half I could had the performance for less, but like some people have said if one playd the waiting game they will never have new stuff. and there was no way in hell I was gona play Dues Ex MD or Witcher 3 on 660gtx the 660gtx was already struggling with Witcher2 to maintain 60 fps, which testament to how much that game pushed gpus.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    airbud7 and BlackZero like this.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Just wait till the optimisations only found in these reviewer drivers make it to to the other cards.

Remember the GTX 1060 was as fast as the GTX 980 in all the early reviews?

It ended up 10% slower.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2576vs3639

Keep laughing. It's better for your health in the long run. :p

carnivore and Undying like this.
  12. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    I dunno if I would say it got 10% slower, its still faster than the 980 in quite a few games, and in some specific cases it ends up being waaaaay better, 1060 6gb ends up better than the 980 in any of the new tomb raiders cause of vram usage, couldn't run that game on the settings I wanted back when I had SLI 980's cause vram was maxed out, the cards were fast enough in sli but not enough memory, had the same issue with R6 siege if I used the HD texture dlc, so in those games the 1060 was miles ahead compared to even my SLI 980's, I got higher fps than a single 1060 with SLI 980's but super bad stutter.

I ended up switching back to a single 980 because of that and a few other issues, but even with a single 980 in the games that weren't memory limited my overclocked 980 vs an overclocked 1060 the 1060 often would win out, one of my friends has a 1060 and we swapped PC's a few times when we had some gaming nights and his PC often could either use slightly higher graphics settings than mine or just felt a little smoother and that's with his system being slightly less powerful than mine in the CPU department (7700k @4.8ghz vs 8700k @5ghz and 3200mhz memory vs 3600mhz memory both running sata SSD's).

The memory thing is kinda the other way round this time though with the 1070Ti and 1080 both having more memory, personally I think its a total dick move by nvidia to just raise the prices so much across the board this generation compared to the previous generations, however if I HAD to buy a new card and was in this budget range I would probabaly go for a 2060 over a 1070Ti if they both cost the same brand new, either that or go second hand and look for a 1080.

Lucky for me I ended up with this 1080Ti as a unexpected Christmas gift when my mates wife got him a 2080Ti for Christmas lol

airbud7 and BlackZero like this.
  13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Congratulations on the new card. :)

I feel the charts speak for themselves though, 10% is probably a good estimate when you consider 980s would have mostly been benched using earlier drivers. On the subject of performance, I don't think any one would have bought a 980 expecting to run above 1440p, and using high resolution textures designed for 4K bring little to no visual benefit at 1440p. Of course, we're also considering SLI here, which requires more system memory due to mirroring, increasing PCI Express bandwidth demands and the potential for heaver texture packs being relegated to your hard drive.

Having said that, I do agree, it's usually smarter to choose from what's available in the current range. Clearly, that doesn't mean you should rush out to sell your current higher end card to buy a mid range one from the current crop, either.

Ridiric likes this.
  14. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    It was hitting max memory limits on the tomb raider games at 1080p fyi, doesn't hit memory cap in R6 Siege without the HD texture pack but that was at 1080p as well where it hit memory cap with the pack, I'm pretty sure you will find the GTX 1060 out performs the 980 in most games, I wouldn't trust the results on that userbenchmark site they often don't really match up to proper testing (and their included synthetic benchmark is pretty bad compared to something like timespy for modern cards), and as I was saying my friends GTX 1060 was definitely performing better than my 980 most games it got slightly more fps and in the few games it didn't get more fps it still felt smoother, it also generally didn't require as much tweaking to get desired framerates as the 980 did.

But yeah at no point was I suggesting anyone with a 1070 or better should run out and grab a 2060, on the whole I have a feeling that the 1070Ti's and 1080's will end up in an even better position performance wise vs the 2060 as the years go on, not sure about the 1070 though I don't think that's ever going to catch up only thing it might ever out perform it in is if you hit the 6gb memory cap but I'm not sure if that's ever going to be an issue at 1080p it might become an issue at 1440p in the future but I kinda think if the 6gb memory becomes an issue at 1440p the graphics performance of the 1070 with its 8gb of memory still wont make any significant difference because the quality settings where the 2060 hits the memory limit at 6gb will probably just run too slow on a 1070 for it to be enjoyable anyway.

BlackZero likes this.
  15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I understand what you mean, although I think it shouldn't matter what area each benchmark tests if the performance is sufficiently varied between different cards, which appears to be the case with userbenchmark tests. In fact, I've run the tests, and haven't really got anything bad to say about them, especially given the ease of access and very large database.

Concerning VRAM, I think It's just that many newer games are including higher resolution textures not meant for 1080p as part of the base game files, so you have no way of knowing they aren't required at 1080p. Of course, it would also depend on the kind of texture streaming used and the FPS required, because a 4 GB card should be able to make use of around 5 GB texture resources while maintaining 60 FPS. Once you go above that much texture usage at 1080p or 1440p, any quality improvements are going to be in the placebo domain.

Until recently, ultra high resolution textures were released as a separate package, but with all the 8 GB mid range cards becoming ubiquitous, they just expect people to try the different settings for them selves. Although, as you say, the additional resources would affect a lower performing card in other areas, so simply having more VRAM is also not going to be enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
    Ridiric likes this.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm in need of an "upgrade"....so, now I have my option from NVidia. Just waiting for AMD to launch Navi now. My finally decision will come in the summer. Unless the rumors of a GTX11 series come true, my options will be Navi or RTX2060. As much as I prefer to pay less, the RTX2060 is still within the $350 budget I've always stuck to and the performance increase over my RX470 is quite dramatic at almost double.... So, for people in my particular position, the RTX2060 is a very attractive card, even at a $350 price point. We'll have to wait and see what the 3rd party cards are priced at though. As long as there are RTX2060 cards in the $300-350 price range, Navi will have to be something special.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Likes said do I like it that Nvidia GPU prices have been increase 50~100+ gen to gen as of late no, and I sure other think the same, at same the stuff will still sell. Titan cards proved this, long before the 2xxx came with crazy prices which also still sold.
    At somepoint there will be breaking point people say enough is enough they wont buy it at those prices ( probably wont happen though) I get Nvidia is pretty much competition with them selves and I guess to point they are, but I think it better idea to use reduce the price of last gen to clear out stock and have then gen use original price last gen, If they keep doing what they doing gen to gen at some point a mid range card will over 1000$ and entry cards over 500$ day that happens is day I go consoles only.

My price range has always been 250 give give take 1xxx I spent 330$ on 1060gtx and I setup to 1070ti from evga from extra 120$ which was deal at the time for 450$, but that wont happen again, I remember when I bought 9800gt which was a mid/highend card and I would argue it on more on the highend cause there was only 2 other card higher then 9800gt at the time and I bought it for 139$ 3 month after is release and I still have receipt to prove that, good luck getting a mid to highend card at the price now

18. Progressor

Progressor Guest

GPU:
    soon to be RTX 2060
    Of all the hardware review sites and youtubers, you're the only one who bothered to include a Vray-RT benchmark in your review. This is exactly what I need the card for and it took me quite awhile browsing every single review site, youtube channel, cg/fx forums to find anyone who would think to bench the card for workstation/cg use. You're the only one who did! I'm building a budget workstation and needed to know how the 2060 performs in vray gpu rendering. Thank you for thinking for the people who use their hardware for other stuff than games, too!

yasamoka likes this.