Thinking in replacing my pc for a laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Avefenix, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Avefenix

Avefenix Guest

GPU:
    xfx 8800GtX
    Hi there!

I´m thinking in replace my pc for a laptop, but im not sure if this HP Pavilion 15-BC450NS can give everything i need in my daily rutine working with my computer.
    I have never had a laptop, always i had PCs.
    Basically that i do with my PC is Photoshop (basic editing), writing in chrome/word and gaming ocasionally. Also i do is Premiere eventually.
    My PC is a i5-4570 3,20GHz quad-core, 8GB RAM, GTX 660 and Windows 10. I have connected 2 monitors (Dell U2515H 2K) because i do a lot of multitask (i am fan of have many open programs at same time).

The laptop is this:
    https://www.pccomponentes.com/hp-pa...-core-i5-8300h-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-gtx-1050-156
    Like Intel Core i5-8300H
    8GB RAM
    1TB + 128GB SSD
    GTX 1050
    15,6"

So basically my question is if that HP Pavilion can give everything that my pc gives me right now. I d connect my mechanical keyword and one monitor.

Thanks in advance!

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yeah, seems like a good choice regarding specs. GPU is stronger, but CPU might be a bit weaker due to note PC thermals design and TDP.

If you do lots of multitasking, having 16GB of RAM could be beneficial. See if there there option for 16GB RAM or free slot for RAM upgrade (so you can buy stick and add it yourself).

Make sure to install Photoshop and other work applications on SSD.
    If there space left, also install some games on it. Games load much faster from SSD. Games with over 10GB could be placed on HDD..

Avefenix and Akumu like this.
  3. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    Ya im not really sure that CPU is much better if at all due to laptop CPUs generally being lower power and lower clocked. The GPU is certainly better but overall its not a massive leap.

4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Only problem with laptops is that they are more expensive to upgrade. Desktops you can upgrade part by part and laptops would require the whole thing to be replaced.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Good luck upgrading Intel CPU, another season another socket. So what left? Video card?

6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    A cpu+mobo replacement is still cheaper than buying a whole new laptop.

sverek likes this.
  7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    The sacrifice for mobility.

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    True except most people I know buy laptops and they've never even used battery power.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    The sacrifice for space!

10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    This is very true. I have a laptop that I keep in my office at home. I mostly use it on the desk and the battery ended up dying even though I almost never used the battery.
    This is probably the only reason I even use them. For stuff on the go, I usually just use my phone. In Asia, space is pretty limited. Still doesn't keep me from owning a desktop though.

11. Avefenix

Avefenix Guest

GPU:
    xfx 8800GtX
    I do a lot of multitasking, i can to have like 20 tabs in Chrome while writing, photoshop open, microsoft word and another tools for marketing, so that cpu maybe is not so strong for my needs.
    So i will just need a better CPU that could increase price over 100-200 euros? or maybe better 16GB of RAM? I know that laptop can´t be upgraded in RAM :/
    Im not really convinced if i must to do the jump, or just maybe get one laptop over 1.000 euros with a better cpu and not caring too much for the GPU.

BTW, thanks for the answer!

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    CPU is fine. I don't think you gonna need stronger CPU, unless you run very long batches in photoshop.
    I just think you would benefit with a bit more RAM. See if there laptops with similar price that have 16GB RAM or can be up-gradable.

Avefenix likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was lucky in upgrading from 3820 to 4930. But overall within one socket you can get any model, which can be problematic for laptop.
    Btw, long time ago I had a laptop with desktop CPU - Pentium 3, and I managed to replace the original Coppermine with Tualatin (despite incompatibility stated by all descriptions).

sverek likes this.
  14. Avefenix

Avefenix Guest

GPU:
    xfx 8800GtX
    Ok, im gonna check if i find a similar laptop with 16GB RAM. And the last question, connecting my Dell Monitor 2K by HDMI would increase the use of resources of the laptop? So i can work with 2 monitors.
    My idea is having the portability skill to show work to clients in laptop and in home pluging the Dell monitor and my mechanical keyboard.

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

That laptop matches the system. Nothing less, nothing more.

HDMI and other similar interfaces only affect bandwidth, while offering additional support for things like sound.

Avefenix likes this.

16. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I have a similiar cpu, 6300HQ. Its sufficient but I can tell you its a bottleneck even for my 960m.

Checking benchmarks it seems that the 8300 isn't a big time improver so keep that in mind when you play CPU intensive games.

Avefenix likes this.
  17. Avefenix

Avefenix Guest

GPU:
    xfx 8800GtX
    Thanks for the answers! I get the full idea right now. Have a great entry to 2019 :)

sverek and BlackZero like this.
  18. SteveJ12

SteveJ12 Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia 1080ti
    The laptop seems to be good as per your requirement. The GPU is pretty powerful. The only thing you have to worried about is upgradilbility.