AMD Demos 7nm Ryzen 3000 processors (and kicks a bit of ass)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    sorry but is this a joke that only i see, intel is on 14++ and amd is on 7nm, and yet amd only just beat the i9 9900k, they should be miles better, guess they dont know how to use 7nm correctly,

im sure intels 10nm this year will be alot better, atleast amd reduced the power needed, thats the only good thing i see but ill stick with intel for now, 8700k at 4.7 is doing nicely

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    But really big jump from Ryzen 2700x and 1800x. Totally buying new cpu this year.

Maddness and TheDeeGee like this.
  3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Don't look at the 7nm and 14nm that much. They are much closer then the numbers would give and iirc intels 10nm is around same as tsmc 7nm. And their 7nm will be smaller. Considering if the numbers are correct AMD using 50 watts less then Intels 9900k is pretty damn sweet.

-Tj-, JOHN30011887 and The Reeferman like this.
  4. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Let's be a bit clearer here. That was an engineering sample with not final clocks (usually implies lower than final clock speeds), was an 8c/16t CPU which is half the potential for Ryzen 3xxx series and it just beat the 9900K in an IPC and Frequency test. I'd love to know the details of the Frequency the sample was running at, would make for some very interesting data.

I'm pretty sure Intel's 10nm is going to be a lot better, just like it was for the last 3 years it hasn't materialised outside of laptops...

JOHN30011887 likes this.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Why though? Honestly curious. He basically said the rumours were chiplet design with an IO on a larger fab process which is correct in terms of what was shown.
    Ok, the other chips weren't shown as predicted but could be some reason behind the scenes.

The Reeferman likes this.
  6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Oh for sure, it's looking very good all things considered. I'm certainly waiting for more varied benchmarks, let alone final silicon, before making any judgment but I've been looking forward to Ryzen 3K as the upgrade path from my 2600K as well.

7. SaLaDiN666

SaLaDiN666 Member

GPU:
    1080 GTX
    They didn't really beat anything, we don't know the clocks but 2600x clock to clock is faster in the CB multithreading test than 8700k.

8. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    finally. Now we need something like OLED/uLED monitors under 43" size(FFS!) and 120Hz+ refresh rate...

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He predicted:

NAVI would be announced with 3 products. Didn't happen.
    Ryzen would be announced with multiple products and very specific frequencies and TDPs: Didn't happen and it looks like portions of the lineup aren't even launching until 2H 2019 so I doubt any of those numbers are even finalized.
    Vega II Pricing: Was wrong.

Also the whole idea of Ryzen 2 still being monolithic was his rumor in the first place lol. When they announced EPYC chiplets everyone assumed Ryzen 2 would also be chiplets, he's the one that rumored monolithic then he got his "leak" and went the opposite way.

You can add that to him being wrong about everything Polaris/Pascal/Vega/GameWorks/PhysX/Etc. Guy is wrong like 500 times gets 1 thing right and everyone circlejerks the one thing.

10. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    From what i remember he always said chiplets
    I dont remember him saying that Navi would be announced but yes that later in the year

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Sorry not chiplets, lack of IO die.

12. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Didn't they? I do believe there was a 9900K and a Ryzen 3xxx 8c/16t processor that both ran Cinebench within margin of error of each other. The Engineering samples usually have lower clocks and beta BIOS which impact performance and not in a good way. So the outlook of the CPU going forward is very interesting.

13. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    He was split on the IO die being on Ryzen 3xxx. First up his theory was it had one, then he thought that would be too costly. Didn't say anything definitive one way or the other and basically fence sat as a result. However he was the only one to suggest Ryzen 3xxx could have an IO die and it turned out that happened.

He was wrong about Navi being announced.

He was right accidentally about Vega 2 though skeptical due to all the denouncing of it over the last 6 months by AMD themselves.

He was dead on with EPYC and it's chiplet design and even the layout.

Looks like Ryzen wasn't paper released though so another one against Jim there, but considering they had a working ES available it's not going to be that far out. At worst June.

So some info he was right on and some stuff he's wrong about. As a speculative analyst you can't be 100% right all the time. I wonder how many of your predictions came true or do you just live up to your name...

The Reeferman likes this.
  14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I love how many people are trying to paint a bad picture here, come to negative conclusions without any actual facts to back it up, etc.

Continues to remind me how worthless these forums have become.

BangTail likes this.
  15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Ahh I agree on what he said with NAVI fair enough and revealing the full CPU lineup, but I suppose it depends on how you take him, he does give his opinions and generally states so and that his leaks are potential reveals. The chiplet + larger IO he's been on about for the past year admittedly going back and forth vs monolithic.
    I take him with a pinch of salt but find his views on potential AMD direction interesting, have had arguments with him on his Intel bashing though :)

16. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Like all your comments so far in both this and the VII threads.

warlord likes this.
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Probably none of them come true but I also don't have a youtube channel where I proclaim to have next level insight into CPU/GPU design and spread complete falsehoods (PhysX being made intentionally slow, Nvidia paying for GameWorks integrations, Crysis 2 Tessellation Myth, Project Cars Physx myth, Fallout 1.2 Beta myth, Witcher 3 Tessellation myth, Etc) only to have a bunch of fanboy's parrot them about everywhere. Nor do I tell people to kill themselves when they call me out for being wrong.

I don't like the guy. He blanket posts a billion rumors then hides behind "it was just speculation" when he's wrong but praises himself when right. It's not impressive and I find it worse than WCCFtech reporting.

Anyway this is offtopic and it's my fault so I apologize. PM me if you want to discuss it further.

18. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    For a sample on this benchmark this CPU it's insane, they say that it's using 75W, that could mean that it's a R5 3600.

19. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Good news overall, nothing negative for my world, only that I have to wait 6 months more.
    I just bought a 580 8g for $200 but I am gladly willing to buy the lower vega2 or whatever we call it.
    Worst part is that I can't build my HTPC for the next 6 months, but hey, need a new car anyways.

20. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Well I guess it's ok to totally dismiss someone when nothing you are doing has any relevance whatsoever. I don't particularly like you right now as most of what you've said has been bashing someone else for analyzing the industry. Yes he has bias, who doesn't, though your's is pretty clear too and it's uglier than Jim's by a long shot. BTW getting outraged at that comment is basically just you being a snowflake. Can't really be that annoyed at him considering the twat he was dealing with.

BTW feel free to provide evidence debunking the "tessellation myths" as I've never seen anything concrete to counter the issues they presented. Nvidia's dealings in the industry aren't exactly hidden...