NVIDIA To support VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology, GSYNC Compatible

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's adaptive sync with a g-sync sticker on it. Freesync is adaptive sync with a Freesync sticker on it. Both companies utilized variable blanking for power savings on laptops before g-sync/freesync. G-Sync was first at utilizing it to effectively do what adaptive sync does now.

fantaskarsef, Aura89, Noisiv and 4 others like this.
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    1) Ask again after Jan 15 when we have drrivers in hand as to what will be possible.
    2) NVIDIA needs to give you a reason to buy a new card.
    3) ???
    4) profit!!!

3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    From what i understand they will work with every adaptive synch monitor just when it is not certified you will have to enable it manually.

4. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    This is good news and basically means G-Sync is dead. +1 to failed, cash-grab proprietary nvidia tech being completely replaced by something open and free.

5. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Do you even research or easier than that, read below before replying and spreading rumours?

"Actually there is a reason. Maxwell generation only supports Display port version 1.2. You need 1.2a or 1.3 and above for VRR/Freesync."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No you don't. All G-Sync monitors except the 4K 144Hz HDR ones come are equipped with DP 1.2 and work fine with GTX 600 series onwards, all of which except GTX 10 series and RTX 20 series support only DP 1.2. All FreeSync monitors released so far use either DP 1.2 or HDMI 2.0 and the DP 1.2 ones work fine with R9 200 series (GCN 1.1) onwards. There are no DP 1.3/1.4 displays out except the two 4K 144Hz G-Sync HDR displays.

-Tj-, Noisiv, carnivore and 1 other person like this.
  7. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Read the title, "NVIDIA To support VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology"

And If you read VESA Adaptive Sync requirements, it requires 1.3 (period). It has nothing to do with GSync.

Edit: 1.2 != 1.2a, 1.2a requirements were part of 1.3 major rev.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Failed? Funny people we get in here.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Try harder.

http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/VESA-Adaptive-Sync-Whitepaper-140620.pdf

Standard from 2014 back before DP 1.3 was even standardized. Zero mention of any DisplayPort version required.

ALL FreeSync monitors in existence out there are DP 1.2. What are you smoking?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-displayport-video-standard.html

-Tj- likes this.
  10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    But Freesync was the foundation of VRR. Just as Mantle was the foundation of Vulkan.

11. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    1.2a, which was not part of 1.2, but was part of 1.3. 1.3 was the first major revision to support it.

EDIT: Read harder.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    1.2a is not part of 1.3. 1.2a is an optional set of features added on top of 1.2. It's clear from the naming scheme. 1.3 is the first major revision to support it, yes, but that doesn't mean VRR / FreeSync requires DP 1.3 to work. Again, the 550+ FreeSync monitors out there, the majority are on DP 1.2 and the rest are on HDMI 1.3/1.4/2.0.

EDIT: sheesh, some people just don't let go when they're proven wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.2
    How could 1.2a be a part of 1.3 when it was released before 1.3 was even approved, and already put in action on DP 1.2 displays ... ffs ...

13. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Ahem... What are you even talking about?

All I said is, I will try to say it slower this time for you:
    1.2 did not support adaptive sync, it was 1.2a.
    1.3 which came afterwards, which included 1.2a additions as part of the spec to be the first major revision supporting Adaptive sync.

Easy enough for you there little buddy?

14. "DisplayPort version 1.2a was released in January 2013. After a proposal from AMD, VESA later adapted the Panel-Self-Refresh feature for use in standalone displays and added it as an optional feature of the main DisplayPort standard under the name "Adaptive-Sync" in version 1.2a"

Note: Support for Adaptive-Sync is not required for a display to be DisplayPort 1.2a-compliant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
  15. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    It's actually a pretty good move.

1) Huang was milking GTX users for years with all this gsync scam => Profit.

2) Now Huang announces that Pascal and turing can work with freesync => more gamers who don't' want to deal with gsync will buy Nvidia GPUs instead of getting AMD's gpus.

It's a preventive strike against whatever AMD is about to announce at CES 2019 (new GPUs)

Does it make Nvidia look bad? Yeah, it does (not to fanboys, obviously). However, the long-term financial benefits of this announcement outweigh all this.

16. Yeah - sorry about the messed up code there - fixed those sources. (hyperlinks) but yeah the issue I think for NV that they're trying to avoid far as coverage etc and making it easier for supporting such a vast array of configurations going forward in the future (guessing) is compliance. Some may argue it's making people upgrade as well but *shrugs* eh I don't know...

1.3 was the first to require it iirc far as compliance goes...

craycray likes this.
  17. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yeah, but it's still quite funny.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't think chronology is the point of the joke. The point is that Nvidia is co-opting FreeSync by claiming that they are now bringing G-Sync to these monitors. AMD creates FreeSync, Nvidia enables FreeSync, then says these monitors are G-Sync certified.

carnivore and craycray like this.
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They are not enabling freesync they are enabling adaptive sync. Freesync is an AMD brand of the adaptive sync implementation.

The meme is funny because Nvidia is douchey for not doing this earlier but it's definitely not accurate.

20. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    All I know is that it will be fun to test and see how it works on my CFG73 Samsung. I doubt it will be certified because of its 70-144Hz range, but I'm still interested in seeing what will happen if I manually enable.

Singleton99 and -Tj- like this.