Ryzen 1600 Vcore locked at 1.419v. Broken Sensor?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Maynardcrow, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Maynardcrow

Maynardcrow Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Hello im new to guru3d. If im posting in wrong section im sorry. Ive been having an issue with my x370-f strix mobo since i bought it, where in cpuz, hwmonitor, and corsair link show cpu cvore locked at 1.419v. It does it on manual voltages settings but auto will jump around but will still stick to that general voltage. but hwinfo and bios will show correct vcore but .01v higher than whats set. For example my voltage is set to 1.368v at 3.8ghz. cpuz, corsair, and hw monitor show 1.419v while hwinfo and bios will show 1.386v. And this is with any LLC setting you put on or off. And to make things weirder I just downloaded OCCT and now it shows vcore jumps up and down between 1.419v and 2.8 at a constant tempo. Like you can time when its going to change. If anyone can help or have Idea it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Most likely just incorrect voltage reported, not all tools report Ryzen voltages correctly.

If HWInfo and BIOS show the same just trust HWInfo and ignore the rest.
    I use HWInfo myself and I think it was actually the first one to show correct values for Ryzen.

3. Maynardcrow

Maynardcrow Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    ok thank you. My b350f showed correct voltage and so did my first x370f. But that x370f gave me stable 3.95ghz at 1.375v but memory would go unstable with any amount of reasonable mounting pressure on socket. Couldnt keep temps in check. And my current x370f wont go above 3.9ghz. And thats stable at 1.381v Guess it goes to show that boards even have a sort silicon lottery. Thank you for the reply.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Could be the Strix board uses different sensor type or layout and thus 3rd party tools may or may not show correct readings. HWInfo has been the most accurate I think.
    I suppose BIOS version may affect this as well, not sure though.

Btw try using a higher LLC value if you're having trouble reaching the same overclock as before. You should be able to find the correct amount indeed with HWInfo:

monitor core voltage while having a benchmark like Cinebench running. You will see core voltage drop with load by default.
    Increase LLC until voltage doesn't drop or your system is stable, whichever occurs first ("locked" voltage usually requires highest level of LLC, that's by design).

Ofc monitor temperature as well but LLC in itself doesn't increase temperature. Just that the more you "force" the voltage to remain unchanged the more heat will be generated.
    Shouldn't be an issue though.

Personally I'm using highest LLC to eliminate voltage droop completely under load (so I can set the lowest possible voltage needed and know what is set is also what is used).

R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz w/ 1.312 V
    ASRock X370 Killer SLi

5. Maynardcrow

Maynardcrow Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    well the first x370f would cause no voltage drop at llc level 3 but this board ive had to go to level 4 to cause no droop. But cant setting LLC To extreme setting cause voltage spikes that can be harmful to cpu?
    You won the silicon lottery with that chip. Did you raise vrm switching frequency and power % to get that low voltage?

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    As far as I know maximum LLC combined with Auto voltage can cause those spikes as it may cause the voltage go up, actually.
    As long as you use a fixed / manual voltage, even highest LLC should be safe in this sense.

But if you already found LLC 4 to be the spot where there's no droop then no need to go further, it won't be beneficial.

Only needed to set core voltage (and LLC) and all good to go :)
    SOC voltage is at 1.1 volts also but since early BIOS revisions most boards likely do 1.1+ V on default / Auto these days.
    (AMD themselves recommend setting SOC to 1.1 V when overclocking.)

But if I set 4.0 GHz, that needs 1.425 V already, anything less will crash. So 3.9 is the threshold freq. for my chip.

7. Maynardcrow

Maynardcrow Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    yeah i lost the lottery with mine. It wont even do 4ghz at 1.45v. I want to dial up the switching freq to see if i can get 3.95ghz again at a respectable voltage for 24/7.