Windows 10 overtakes Windows 7

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In December 2018, Windows 10 was able to achieve a larger market share than the several-year-old Windows 7 - albeit very close. Windows 8.1 and Vista hardly play a role anymore. In general, the Windo...

Windows 10 overtakes Windows 7

warlord likes this.
  2. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    As much as I like to tear into MS, I have to admit that Windows 10 has been an overall good experience for me. It seems to be rock-solid stable, and everything that I need to work, works pretty good. Of course, I've tweaked the heck out of it to remove any unwanted bits, but still...

3. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    I wonder what way microsoft count this, Because if they count the single use,
    I did a install on a separate drive I keep detached from the computer at all times, solely to play shadow of the tomb raider in directx 12 instead of direct x 11.
    Still use Windows 7 all the time.

I also did a install of Linux on another drive to play Shadow of the tomb raider using DXVK and Valves Proton both a Direct X to Vulkan conversion.

I have a feeling those numbers aren't active users, they're most likely activations, And I activated that installion but I don't use it.

rl66 likes this.
  4. Considering how they force updated people from Win7 to 10, these metrics are absolutely worthless.

Order_66 likes this.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Not worthless but skewed for sure.

I don't know how many people here modify their install images to remove everything they will never touch but I have a hunch if Windows 10 had a built in option to do this that the adoption rate of 10 would be much higher.

Once you remove the annoying bloat Windows 10 is pretty great.

6. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    From the article:
    That makes all Linux distros combined about 70% less than "barely relevant".

7. dunadan101

dunadan101 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I've been using Windows 10 for two years and can't complain either, they improved it quite a bit, it's very stable and just works well once you disable a thing or two.

8. lucasfrance

lucasfrance Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti + 1080
  9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    sad times...

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Miserable people still have trash windows 7. As I said multiple times, it's either windows 8.1 or windows 10. I love that windows 10 overtook the 7th plague of amateurism and noobitism.

TheDeeGee likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think W10 is overall better than 7, but aside from being outdated, 7 isn't that bad...

12. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    +1

Windows 10 works pretty darn well. Windows 7 worked well and can still work well with the right hardware. It is just as you said, outdated. Windows 7 was an epic step from XP just like XP was an epic step from Windows 95/98.

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Windows 10 is installed on all my home computers, and my workplace is transitioning from 7 to 10 as well. I even have it installed on my old Athlon II system, using it without a license (no way am I buying a license for a decade old system that I only use for background tasks). As it stands, there is really no reason to use any other version of Windows.

How exactly does Windows 10 take away a user's control of their PC?

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not sure how W10 is taking away the user's control of their own PC, but if you don't want to tolerate spyway, stop using Windows, period. The telemetry and data collection of W10 is nothing new; if you think W7 doesn't have it, you're wrong.
    Chipset drivers aren't the problem, it's the CPU scheduler that you have to worry about. Windows 7 doesn't know how to properly use AMD's SMT method. Not that W10 is much smarter but it is still better.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Inability to control windows update with the only viable solution being to completely turn it off being the one big problem for me, I'm not too fond of not being in control of my own computer.

Then there is the baked in telemetry that actually cannot be turned off.

Order_66 likes this.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You should note that this is not a purely a Windows 10 thing - other OSs push updates as well, including smartphones OSs like Android. I recently turned my Galaxy S6 back on for some temporary use and it spend the next several hours automatically downloading updates one after another. This doesn't mean I don't have control over my phone or PC (especially when I can control when/if to apply them). They also don't interfere with my computer usage - typically, I'll only know when there's an update when I go to shut down my system. In general, I expect all my computers to stay up and running at all times, and they do.

I also don't see how telemetry prevents me from having control over my PC. Again, smartphones do this as well - a cellphone always tracks your location, even if you have GPS off. If you've watched detective shows then you'd know that police can often times track a person by the cell towers that their phones ping off of. And yet, I don't see anybody up in arms about cellphone companies tracking their customer's locations. Frankly, if you want to eliminate any and all data collection you'd basically have to live completely off the grid.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I also don't have a smart phone but I can understand the annoyance of it doing that, My brother recently got a VR headset over the Christmas break and what was going to be us having some fun turned into a few hours of waiting for the PS4 to update and then waiting for game itself to update and then it was too late to enjoy it properly.

I use Windows 10 every single day for many many hours a day and I do not like it, telemetry is just one thing on a list of many things wrong with the OS.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  18. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I am a Windows 10 fan but the lack of control is true. I want to be able to uninstall the crap I wont ever use.

I get around this by building my own custom images but I would prefer to simply uninstall stuff that I don't want.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    There are 2 solutions to that:
    1. Use Windows 10 LTSB, which doesn't come with half the crap you don't want.
    2. Use a 3rd party uninstaller.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    IIRC 19H1 lets you remove almost all those apps using the context menu v/s older versions.