MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    alternatively just not have afterburner option at all, always install it.

2. fat4l

fat4l Guest

GPU:
    Asus Ares 3 8GB
    Well.
    I have a question.
    What determines which "points" (voltage ponints ?) are being tested ? It goes from testing 1->2->3->4=>finishes. The problem is the max value of voltage it is testing is 1.043v for pascal. This seems bugged or unreasonable. Why theres the limit ? If the card can go up to 1.093v so why then it is not being tested up to that voltage ? In fact my card is voltage unlocked(XOC Strix bios on 1080Ti Strix card) so I can go up to 1.25v but the question is, how to make it go up to lets say ...1.15v ? I pushed the "voltage" slider to the max, and max voltage point I got was 1.043v.

Again, this is 1080Ti Strix XOC.

Thanks

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is proprietary NVIDIA testing algorithm and details of implementation are not disclosed to public.

4. fat4l

fat4l Guest

GPU:
    Asus Ares 3 8GB
    Hm. Well so I/we cant make it test higher voltages than it is testing by itself ?

5. Unwinder

Neither you nor me can change the way test or scan mode is working.

6. freshnfruity

freshnfruity Guest

GPU:
    iGPU / AMD 6870
    Hello Unwinder,

first of all, thank you very much for your great software. I've been using it for years without a problem. :)
    After updating to the latest version (MSI Afterburner 4.6.0 Beta10 & Rivatuner 7.2.1 Beta 4), I noticed that the Vector 2D field is grayed out.
    Can you please give me a hint or better explain how to reactivate the Vector 2D function? I also read the changelog, looked at the profile files, but I couldn't generate a working solution. :(
    (As GPU I currently use the iGPU of my CPU).
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  7. Unwinder

Please read RTSS release notes carefully, it is documented in details there.

freshnfruity likes this.
  8. freshnfruity

freshnfruity Guest

GPU:
    iGPU / AMD 6870
    Hi Unwinder,

thanks for your reply. After several hours of wasting time, I am still without a solution...I tried alot but without success lol.
    I am sure you ment these notes:

Where or how exactly do I do that? I added the specific applications on rivatuner, tried to configure / unlock it separately, checked to edit Rivatuner Profile .cfg files...
    More help would be very welcome. :confused:
    Thanks again.

Caesar likes this.
  9. Unwinder

There is a good reason why those settings are protected now. V2D mode is SLOW, custom 3D can be incompatible with other applications and both of them should be avoided unless you explicitly need them. Why are you trying to unlock them?

freshnfruity and Caesar like this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

A paid app normally; customers go through "Support Ticket" (something or somewhat).....

so.........
    -----
    ;)
    -----

freshnfruity likes this.

11. freshnfruity

freshnfruity Guest

GPU:
    iGPU / AMD 6870
    First, I really like the "old school look" of the Vector 2D. Second, it's the best legible font style / layout (for me) in relation to the game F.E.A.R. (Single & Multiplayer) if you are using a SMALL resolution like 640 x 480 / 800 x 600. Raster 3D looks blurry and is too big on screen (self with the lowest zoom step & letter size). I could try different fonts and hoping to get something similar on R3D, but V2D was just perferct. Sharp, clear and working perfect with zoom steps in that game.
    I would be very happy to use V2D again (of course also with the new versions). :)

Edit: Raster 3D instead of Vector 3D...corrected

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  12. Unwinder

Looks like you’re confusing Vector3D with Raster3D. Vector2D and Vector3D modes have absolutely identical “old school” look (but 3D mode additionally supports per-char color tags). The only reason when Vector2D moce can be really required is an incompatibility of both vector and raster 3D modes with some sophisticated game engine. So it is pure compatibility path with much higher performance hit, which should be avoided as universal solution for everyday usage in all games.

freshnfruity likes this.
  13. freshnfruity

freshnfruity Guest

GPU:
    iGPU / AMD 6870
    Ops, you are right, my fault. I ment Vector 2D vs Raster 3D, sorry for that. Vector 3D shows nothing ingame, only Vector 2D and Raster 3D give results.

14. belmonkey

belmonkey Guest

GPU:
    Rx 470
    That new hotkey to toggle the fps cap on and off is pretty sweet! It feels like Global fps caps is working more inconsistently though. I think it could have been a cool idea to allow the global fps cap to become active if you toggle off a game's specific fps cap, so if you toggle off a game's 30 fps cap, it could revert to a global 60 fps cap, so you could effectively flip flop between 30 / 60 fps. Or perhaps just allowing multiple hotkeys for multiple set fps caps could be nice too.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    RTSS has no way of knowing what the game is doing. You might as well ask for RTSS to enable its FPS cap whenever there's an NPC called Frank in the game.

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Guys, is there a option via GUI to enable graphic bar option next to CPU usage percentage? cause i can't find it, or is it feature available in next beta or only via config file? thanks.

17. Unwinder

That sounds like some confusion too, both vector and raster 3D modes have similar chances to be incompatible with the games 3D engine because they have very similar 3D pipeline reconfiguration implementation (with the only difference of texturing setup). So either both work, or both do not work. Anyway I have F.E.A.R. in my steam collection so I'll check it in the everning.
    On enabling power user mode (and so unlocking Vector 2D selection) for some specific profile, PowerUser=1 must be added to [Settings] section of desired profile file. But it will be reset on resetting this profile.

freshnfruity likes this.
  18. Unwinder

That's not planed, sorry. The only reason why hotkey is added is scanline sync, which may need different configuration per game so disabling and reenabling it globally could be troublesome.

19. Unwinder

There is new "Graph placement" property in OSD layout editor, which can be set to "embedded" to see the graph embedded inside the text. Try "modern web" layout and peek into editor to see how it is configured there.

SpajdrEX likes this.
  20. Unwinder

All

NVIDIA slightly updated their scanner component binaries (gpu_stressor.exe and scanner.dll, which can be found in MSI AB .\Bundle\OCScanner folder). No changes are documented, so I'm not sure what is inside, probably some minor final fixes/cleanups. Anyway we'll update those files in 4.6.0 beta 10 distributive in nearest day or two.

knuckles84 and HARDRESET like this.