Cpu upgrade time

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tensai28, Dec 20, 2018.

?

Which cpu should I get?

Poll closed Dec 26, 2018.
  1. 8600k

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. 8700k

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. other

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

2. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Thanks, I got it for a really good price on it too. I saw this motherboard as well. It's actually the cheapest z390 board I've seen so far. I was afraid to go for it for that reason. I'll look into the reviews, thanks for the input. I'm not looking for an extreme overclock and the silicon lottery has not always been in my favor. Also I am using air cooling. I'm thinking maybe 4.8-5ghz. I'm using the msi core frozr l which has done an amazing job cooling my 6600k (considering it's air cooling and not too bulky).

How's the bios on msi boards? I'm gonna stay away from gigabyte because I heard their bios was terrible.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Over here the msi mpg z390 is slightly cheaper than the gigabyte aorus elite. Still worth getting the gigabyte even with the bad bios?

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Without a shadow of a doubt.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Because of the 12+1 vrm phase? Actuallly haven't gotten to looking into the msi to see how it compares. Still not sure I want to deal with the headache of the gigabyte bios.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Gigabyte have been in the business for a very long time, and know how to make a quality product.

Unless you require a specific feature not offered with their boards, there's no reason to pay more.

7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    It also costs more than the msi. I was just wondering if there was anything they offered that was worth paying more for. I've used gigabyte in the past and never really found them to be of good quality. My last two cards were gigabyte and were both very poor overclockers. Also found gigabyte to be extremely unprofessional when releasing the bios update for the micron issue back on my 1070. Not a big deal but I am seeing loads of comments on how bad the bios is on this board and think I am going to probably avoid it. Especially since it costs more. The asus has great reviews and seems to be loaded with options in the bios just like my current board.
    I think I am going to limit my decision to the msi mpg gaming plus and the asus z390a. Msi because it's cheaper and asus because of it's user friendly bios.
    I appreciate the suggestion but prices are different where I am.

8. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
  9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I'm sure you're capable of reading reviews.

Anyway, I'm glad you have made up your mind. Enjoy your new system.

10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Yeah I did read the reviews. Didn't see anything other than the 12+1 vrm phase and was wondering if I was missing something. It's all good. I'm going to get the Asus board. I'm sure the other boards suggested are good too but it's kinda hard to decide so I'll go with what has worked for me before.

11. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    You usually pay a little extra for Asus its usually worth it. Good choice.

tensai28 likes this.
  12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I ordered the asus z390 a prime. They sell it down the road but it was cheaper to order it online. I usually have always bought my components in stores up until now. I know a lot of you guru's get your parts online. Don't know how you do it. The waiting is killing me.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I always like paying extra for a brand name too.

Makes me feel all fuzzy and gooey inside.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I don't think Asus is anymore of a brand than gigabyte. I'm paying more for a better bios. To be fair it's not a lot more just about $30usd.

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Perceived user friendly ≠ better.

Gigabyte bios have always been like that.

If someone wants to use a bios they feel more comfortable with, that's one thing. It doesn't automatically follow that the other design is inferior.

Especially when you consider Gigabyte motherboards, the thing you're actually paying for, have historically always provided cleaner power, and therefore a more stable overclock than most other boards.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    MSI has a great bios...

as far as VRM temps, those can be easily dealt with by case selection and VRM (add-on) heatsinks... My Asrock Taichi x399M has very strong vrms, but they do get toasty. in contrast the Asus (x399) has ridiculously hot VRM's.
    i used dirt cheap copper VRM heatsinks with thermal tape (you can use Kryonaut or Arctic paste) as it is as easy to apply as double-sided tape...and you save a bundle.
    i particularly like the (new) Intel "modem" chip as i've been greatly disappointed with the Killer Networking IC i have on my laptop... and this is the infamous IC that caused 9th gen Intel delays.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I already ordered the board guys. Not saying the other boards are bad just the Asus is for me.

tunejunky likes this.
  18. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    Asus is no more a 'brand name' than Gigabyte.

The Asus bios is also generally easier to navigate and not everyone is a tech wizard. So yes it could be worth paying an extra $20-30 dollars vs the hassle of navigating a clunky bios. Again not saying Gigabyte is bad, but i just think Asus is better, specifically with their bios and personally am willing to pay a tiny bit extra for it.

tunejunky likes this.