Anybody know what Polling Rate Xbox Controllers use on Windows 10?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BlindBison, Aug 8, 2018.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I've been wondering about this for sometime now, but haven't been able to track down the answer online.

My Razer Deathadder: Chroma supports 125 Hz, 500 Hz, and 1000 Hz polling rates, but I like to play some games with controllers (Dark Souls for example).

Is there anyway to tell what polling rate the controllers use when gaming with them on Windows?

For some context, I own a wired Xbxo 360 controller I often use when gaming on my PC.

No trouble of course, if nobody knows, just a curiosity I've had for awhile now.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I think most of the controllers have polling rate around 125Hz(8ms) and not sure if there is controller with 1000Hz right now,maybe in coming months and years we will have faster controllers but for now these controllers from Xbox or PS DS4 etc have same polling rate

I play games exclusively on controller and I don't play online games at all

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The only information I can find is from random people online who claim that it's 125Hz. The PS4 is 250Hz, but I assume that's on the console itself, not when using a PS4 controller on a PC.

BlindBison likes this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks! That's a bit disappointing to hear, but I appreciate the heads-up. I wasn't able to locate any info about it Googling round so that's very helpful.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    PS4 controller plugged into a PC has a polling rate of 250 since the time is 4ms. Using bluetooth hoever, at short distance without a lot of metal in the way, my result is more like 2ms.

As for the Xbox One controller, I don't know since it requires no special software to run properly.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That's 500Hz then. How did you measure that?

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The program DS4 Windows which emulates the PS4 controller as a 360 one reports the response time. Plugged in is always 4ms flat. Through Bluetooth it's all over the place. In my case at short range it's typically 1.6-3ms, usually hovering around 2.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I can confirm this is the case.

Xbox One controller - USB cable: 125Hz
    Code:
    Polling rate: 118.80 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.79 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.78 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.79 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.80 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.85 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.86 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.86 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.87 Hz
    Polling rate: 118.85 Hz

Xbox One controller - Bluetooth: 125Hz
    Code:
    Polling rate: 105.58 Hz
    Polling rate: 105.59 Hz
    Polling rate: 109.22 Hz
    Polling rate: 126.71 Hz
    Polling rate: 126.69 Hz
    Polling rate: 126.71 Hz
    Polling rate: 126.70 Hz
    Polling rate: 105.58 Hz

DualShock 4 controller - USB cable: 250Hz
    Unfortunately, just went back to malfunctioning over USB and I hadn't stored the results on the first run.

DualShock 4 controller - Bluetooth: 500Hz
    Code:
    Polling rate: 497.01 Hz
    Polling rate: 503.34 Hz
    Polling rate: 506.57 Hz
    Polling rate: 503.35 Hz
    Polling rate: 503.42 Hz
    Polling rate: 503.34 Hz
    Polling rate: 500.16 Hz
    Polling rate: 509.84 Hz

Used DS4Windows for the DualShock 4 controller. I ran the following script I wrote: https://gist.github.com/yasamoka/e97dcc11c76ec0c3cb3b60fb221ce09d

You'll need Python and the "inputs" library which you can get by running "pip install inputs".

The code collects timestamps for 20 samples in a queue and outputs an average rate by dividing the number of samples by the difference in time over 20 (actually 19) samples. The target axis to monitor for changes is the left stick's X-axis. Both parameters can be changed at the top of the code. You will need to move the target axis smoothly (so you get changes without interruption) and fast (so that the differences are large enough to manifest after the analog to digital conversion).

Increase the queue size when the polling rate is measured to be high enough to appear spiky / overshooting. Decrease the queue size when the polling rate is clearly not easily approaching its expected value.

I used a queue size of 20 for the Xbox One controller over USB / Bluetooth and 80 for the DS4 controller over Bluetooth. 500Hz was very hard to show and required a lot of vigorous movement of the left analog stick.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  9. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    Its definitely 8ms 125hz on the Xbox itself so id imagine it would work the same way on PC. Apparently this is also the case with using mouse and keyboard on Xbox.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    How was it measured on the Xbox?

11. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    Its discussed in this LinusTechTips video.

Its basically confirmed by Microsoft.

12. Gavin Chan

Gavin Chan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Could you please tell me how to change the buffer size of the controller(s)? Thanks! I'm on a Razer Wolverine Ultimate and I've tested the polling rate. It ranges from 270-320 hz.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Hey there.

You can adjust
    Code:
    QUEUESIZE=20
    in line 5.

Let me know how it goes.

14. Gavin Chan

Gavin Chan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    So when I try running "pip install inputs" it gives me this error.
    upload_2020-8-22_12-28-54.png

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    pip is its own Python module, not some code to be run in a Python interpreter. You can run
    Code:
    pip install inputs
    as a command or, if that doesn't work,
    Code:
    python -m pip install inputs 

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  17. Gavin Chan

Gavin Chan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Both don't work

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Show me the error you're getting.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I hate it when I search for something only to find me from the past. Anyone know the polling rate of the new Xbox Series/"Core" controller, or a way to check? And that old hack to change mouse polling rates to over 1K, I saw a thread talking about that for Xbox controllers but I wonder if that actually works for it?

I just got the new Core controller, largely for the dpad, and hopefully less shitty thumb sticks that won't drift if you look at them wrong. Unfortunately it seems they use the exact same sub-garbage tier Alps modules for the joysticks, but the dpad is dramatically improved. The entire thing would feel so much better than the gen 2 XB1 controller I have, if it weren't for the fact they smoothed out the groove in the back to make it straighter, like the PS4 controller. That groove was what made it feel like a much more solid grip.

One thing I should note since I don't see anyone else mentioning it is that the Core controller registers as using LE Bluetooth in Windows 10 and shows a wonky approximate battery % in the BT pairing settings, while my gen 2 XB1 controller doesn't. Perhaps battery life will be a bit better? I just wish MS would stop being dickwads and just give us control over its settings in their controller app.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Slightly off topic:
    Anyone have much experience with the dpad on the Elite controller series 1 or 2? I've been considering buying a kit of magnetic thumb sticks for easy swapping since they're all interchangeable. And those kits often come with the dpad as well. I wonder if I'm better off just fully modding my old gen 2 controller to be like the elite. The kit to add back buttons (and trigger stops) directly (soldering) so it can still work wirelessly is $50 CAD, and there is no new version for the Core controller yet.

But I do hear the sticks will drift faster with those heavier metal thumbsticks, AFAIK only the Elite 2 controllers have different/sturdier switch modules. All the rest are sub-garbage as previously mentioned.

Opinions?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No polling rate difference to the 1709 or controllers before it, only wireless change to the control is it has an additional antenna for BT connections to be more stable and as y ou noticed, the BT:LE mode.

The software behaves differently though

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-latency/

There is presently NO driver available on windows 10 that can take advantage of DLI, as the new 1914 controller is still using the 1709 driver.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    yasamoka and Neo Cyrus like this.