PC keeps crashing during gaming, even after changing motherboard, cpu and memory

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 2, 2018.

1. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    EDIT: I might not have posted this in the correct forum section. If so, maybe a MOD would be so kind to move it to the correct section?

I have a weird problem with my computer that didn't seem to get solved by changing the motherboard, cpu and memory. It's going to be a long story, so please bare with me.

Let me first give you my system specs.

My old setup:

CPU: I7 4770K @ 4 GHZ
    Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws 4 x 4 GB (DDR 3, 2133mhz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97x gaming 3
    GPU: MSI RX VEGA 64 (undervolted and cooled by alphacool's eiswolf)
    PSU: Corsair RM 1000
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO (256GB) + 850 EVO (512 GB)

This is my current setup:

CPU: I7 8700K (was overclocked at 4.9 ghz) + Noctua NH D-15
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB (DDR 4, 3200 mhz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus PRO
    GPU: MSI RX VEGA 64 (undervolted and cooled by alphacool's eiswolf)
    PSU: Corsair RM 1000
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO (256GB) + 850 EVO (512 GB)

Let me start at the beginning. This week I was playing Assassins Creed Odyssey and all the sudden my PC locked up. After I pressed the reset button, my PC wouldn't POST. It powered on, but nothing happened. I had to hold the power button for a couple of seconds to shut the computer down.

After a couple tries, the PC booted up again and I started playing ACO again. After 20 minutes my PC locked up again. The same problem as before occured. My PC powered on, but didn't post. I connected the speaker to the motherboard to check for beeps, but it didn't peep. However, the speaker made a clicking noise every few seconds (maybe it wanted to beep, but was cut off because the pc restarted?).

I managed to boot into windows again and I decided to lower my overclock (maybe it became unstable after 4,5 years of use). I played ACO again and didn't have any crashes. I shut down my computer at the end of the day and went to bed.

The next morning I tried to boot my PC, but it wouldn't posted. It took me a while to get it working again, by removing some ram stick. However, as soon as I shut down the PC completely and did a cold boot the problem occured again. The only way to get the computer started again, was by either removing a memory stick or place one back in. The computer didn't have any problems with a warm boot, only a cold boot caused problems.

Next thing I did was removing the GPU and run my PC on the intel graphics. This didn't solve my problem. I still needed to remove or add a memory stick.

I was so frustrated, that I ordered a new cpu, motherboard and memory (I needed an excuse to upgrade anyway). After I ordered everything, it hit me. Why not try to flash the BIOS? This seemed to do the trick. I didn't have to swap memory stick around anymore.

------
    As soon as I got me new hardware, I was trying to overclock it. I did run Prime95 for over an hour and it didn't show any errors (Im aware that you need to run it alot longer to see if the CPU is 100% stable). I could also play ACO just fine.

Yesterday my PC started to lock up again twice. So I dailed back the overclock a little. The game was running fine again. Today however, while playing ACO my PC locked up twice again after 30 minutes. After this I decided to run my CPU at stock settings and I could play the game for over 2 hours.

This evening I decided to play Black Ops 4. I played two matches and my PC froze again. I pushed the restart button and then I heard 5 short beeps. According to Gigabyte this means a CPU error. Pressing the restart button gave me 5 short beeps again. After holding down the power button for a couple of seconds, my PC booted again.

I don't know what is happening here. Since I swapped out most of my hardware, I would assume that either my GPU or my PSU is faulty. However, I can run GPU and CPU stress tests without any problems. I can even combine a GPU and CPU stress test. My temperatures are fine, nothing is overheating. I monitered all the sensor with HWinfo64 and nothing unusual pops up. It's just games that seem to be unstable.

I know it's hard to determine what the problem exactly is, but can anyone give me some advice/help with this problem. I'm getting really frustrated here, because my week of is totally ruined by this problem.

UPDATE: I look in the event log and the display driver crasht right before the computer freeze. With my old setup, the display driver also crash twice this week during a youtube video. Could still be the PSU.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Have you updated the drivers, if so how? Updated everything like mother board drivers etc?

3. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I have the lastest 18.10.2 drivers and downloaded all the motherboard drivers listed for my motherboard from the gigabyte site. I even flashed the BIOS to the lastest version.

I'm running my Vega 64 at stock settings now, see if that changes anything. The undervolt (Voltage: -100v, power limit: +50, core clock: 1530 mhz, HBM: 1050) seemed to be stable, but maybe it isn't.

It would be very strange if it was the GPU, because I don't know how a faulty GPU would cause the weird issue I had with my old motherboard (computer only started when removing or adding a memory stick). The issue somehow seemed to corrupted de BIOS, because a flash 'solved' the problem (didn't use the old motherboard for long, so I can't be sure about it).

Can a faulty PSU somehow corrupt the BIOS?

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah maybe your overvolt wasn't stable to begin with.

Also bad restarts can corrupt bios too, not literally but it can make something go off.. try restore optimized defaults and reapply your old settings.

Speaking of bios , maybe there is also a voltage or two off track, not ideal. Vccsa - CPU system voltage or another more crucial voltage.

5. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I said drivers not the GPU, GPU DIRVERS! I wouldn't use the latest bios for that board but oh well you did it already........................ Good luck!
    A bad overclock will corrupt the OS but you knew that already right!

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I know that you were talking about the drivers and not the GPU itself.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't use the latest BIOS for that board? I can always flash it back to an older version, if needed.

You asked me how I installed the drivers. I formatted my SSD and reinstalled windows and then installed the GPU, chipset, LAN and audio drivers.

7. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    My PC crasht again during Black Ops 4. Yesterday I could play for 4 hours straight and now it crasht after 20 minutes. I got 5 beeps again after pressing the reset button. However, it seemed to boot into windows even though it didn't show my anything on the screen. By looking at the HDD led, I could see that it was loading stuff and pressing the power button once, shut down the computer like it would in Windows.

Everything is running at stock settings now, except the system memory (using the XMP profile to clock it to 3200mhz). It must be GPU related somehow, because right before the system lock up I got the message that the "display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has succesfully recovered". This is the same message I got during the last lock up.

8. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    No my motherboard recognizes only one of my two memory sticks. What is going on here. :(

EDIT. Never mind, I figured out what's going om. I am a dumb idiot. A big one. On friday I decided to put the memory in different slot to see if that fixes the lock ups. However, I didn't insert one stick completely. So that by itself could make the system unstable. That also might explain the beeping error that indicates a problem with the CPU.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    A little update: I still got crashes in odyssey and black ops 4. Most of the time I got 5 beeps after a restart. I noticed that the GPU didn't seem to get any power, because the power leds of the card didn't light up. The only way to power up the GPU again, was by shutting down the computer completly by using the power button.

Since I suspected the PSU, I bought a new one. I could play odyssey for 3.5 hours and did run the valley benchmark over night for 9 hours, without any crash.

Normally my PC would crash within 2/3 hours of gaming. I hope that this isn't just luck and that the PSU really did cause all of my issues. I will do some more testing to see if it is indeed stable now.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  10. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Black Ops 4 crashed on me again. This is getting more frustrating by the minute. It must be the GPU then. However, it's kind hard to RMA it, because the crashes are very inconsistent. They usually happen within 2 or 3 hours, but that's not always the case. They might not find a problem with my GPU.

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    My PC doesn't crash with any benchmark/stress test like Heaven, Valley (+- 9 hours) or the GPU burner of MSI Kombuster (+-12 hours). It also didn't crash after 16 hours of Battlefield 5.

Not sure why my PC would lock up with Black Ops 4 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey within 3 hours. Other applications seem to run fine. I did make some changes before starting Battlefield 5 though. I flashed my BIOS to an older version. I completely removed the water cooler from my GPU to make sure that all the thermal pads are where they should be and I reapplied the thermal paste (which led to a much cooler hot spot). I also "overclock" my GPU with Wattman instead of afterburner (only raised the power limit, everything else is running at stock).

I removed the gigabyte app center completely and with it easy tune. I also noticed that my SSD was nearly full. There was only 18GB left and the pagefile was stored on that drive. I noticed that the pagefile size at one time was over 13 GB.

I'm not sure if Black Ops 4 or Assassin's Creed will still lock up my system, because I haven't played those games the last couple of days.

I also found out what the 5 beeps mean. If I completely remove the GPU from the motherboard, you will hear 5 beeps. So it's very unlikely that the CPU was at fault.

I hope that it is fixed now. Maybe the GPU only crashes if it has to render certain things. Things that are present in COD and Assassin's Creed, but not in all the other 3D applications I was running? I don't know how likely that it's.

12. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    If you get system freeze again, can you check temperature on GPU backplate ?
    I had similar issue with watercooled 1080ti and it seems it was because backplate (and components it cools) were getting too hot, after adding fan blowing air over backplate my problems stopped.

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i wouldnt rule out the RAM either on this.

14. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    @xrodney, I don't know how to check it. There are 2 140mm fans blowing directly on to the card. You would think that temperatures should be fine, but of course it doesn't mean they are.

I was playing Black Ops 4 at 1440p/60fps and during team deathmatch my GPU wasn't even stressed much and because of that the temperatures were lower.

@insp1re2600, I did run memtest86 and it didn't show any errors after 4 passes. I might run it over night to see if any errors start popping up. As of now I didn't have any crashes since the 9th of november and played battlefield v for over 20 hours.

I might try Black Ops 4 again during the weekend to see if it still hard locks my computer.

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far. I really appreciate it

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    insp1re2600 likes this.
  15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I can't wrap my fingers around my crashing problem. I did run memtest86 for around 15 hours without any crash. I did run CPU stress tests without any problems (I know that it doesn't mean that the CPU is stable during games) and I could even run GPU stress tests/benchmarks without any problems:

MSI Kombuster furmark stress test: 13 hours
    Valley: 9 hours
    Timespy: 13 hours
    Firestrike: 9 hours
    Battlefield V: 33 hours
    Heaven: for a couple of hours, forgot how long it was

NO crash what so ever. It was running 100% stable and remember that Black Ops and Assassin's Creed usually don't last more than 3 hours. However, Shadow of the tomb raider was crashing within 30 minutes. It might be the game, but it might also be caused by the same problem I have with Assassins Creed Odyssey and Black Ops 4.

Since I have a monitor and a AV receiver connected to my GPU, I thought that that might cause the freezing/crashing issue. The AV receiver is connected via the HDMI ARC to a OLED C7 TV. The GPU sends sound and HDR images to the AV receiver and the AV receiver sends the HDR images to the TV.

I was able to run Assassins Creed Odyssey for over 13 hours and Shadow of the Tomb Raider for over 15 hours without any crash, just by unplugging the AVR from my GPU. I also installed the newest driver. Shadow of the Tomb Raider also received an update this week, so maybe that fixed it?

I don't want to speak to soon, because I know how it is with computers. They might seem fixed, but then crash again the moment you think you are in the safe zone. Has anyone experienced freezing/crashing issues while using 2 monitors (AVR + monitor)? Can an AVR crash the GPU? I never use both displays at the same time. I switched between them, but never disconnect the cables from the GPU.

I hope that this fixes my issue. It would suprise me if my GPU is broken, because you would suspect that all the other 3D applications I mentioned would also have crashed by now at some point. Unless Tomb Raider, COD and Assassins Creed use stuff, that all the other applications don't.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Voltage issue for sure.

Check vccsa, I think that's CPU system voltage. If it's at default 0.808mv raise its offset a little
    0.050+ should be enough for starters.

I also wouldn't rule out cpu cache voltage if you OC that too.

I also noticed these new 416.xx are more OC sensitive, had to raise Cpuv, cache and vccsa voltage a bit.

Yeah system separate parts as Stable for me too, but in more demanding games it can hard freeze with buzz sound. Eventually it resets and in security and maintenance reports what happened..

I played quake champions before and it happened again, so far I rolled GPU driver (GPU instability) and yeah it was 0×124 bsod again..

17. - Flash USB with WinPE bootable (Bob's OMB, Hiren's Boot, Gandalf etc) or make your own.
    - Run UEFI at BIOS defaults on Motherboard's original BIOS compatible with your cpu. (CSM AUTO) (RAM AUTO)
    - Run a copy of MemTest86+ pre WinPE to ISO the RAM at stock settings (1 stick at a time)
    - Boot PE, test with AIDA, run CPU stress test (cpu + cache) pass 8 hours / stable
    - Pass 1 hour of AIDA GPU-burn in WinPE stable
    For PE environment be sure to prep LAN/WLAN drivers / GPU in advance.

Consider the following - you're isolating the existing operating system installation (on boot drive), your regular physical OS boot drive (hardware), the RAM.

18. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    According to the software readings VCCSA is running at 1.26V. The games crashes at stock setting without any overclock what so ever, except for the X.M.P. profile. The X.M.P profile sets my RAM to the rated speed of 3200 MHZ. Is 1.26V VCCSA voltage okay for a 8700K?

I will first try to play Black Ops 4 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey with only my monitor attached. If it doesn't crash anymore, then the use of dual monitors might be the problem. It will take a while to figured that out though, because the games that crash, usually only crash after a couple of hours. That makes finding the problem so annoying.

-Tj- likes this.
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ah my bad, I mixed it up.. only saw your old setup.
    Im at the same 4770K, that's why I said that :D), didn't notice it was happening on new system.

Yeah that vcssa is more then enough. What about cpuv, is it at auto too? Maybe try manually, some mobos either set too low or too high at auto.

20. JorikZ

JorikZ Guest

GPU:
    1080TI
    I suggest:

- update BIOS and firmwares
    - update drivers
    - install fresh OS
    - test hardware: for CPU - OCCT, for memory - memtest and IntelBurnTest for stability test, check SMART (CrystalDiskInfo), for GPU - GpuTest.

Good luck!