Why can't we play 4k videos on fullhd tvs ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kapu, Dec 20, 2018.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Maybe a stupid question, but maybe can someone more techy explain this .

How is it i can play 4k ( or even 8k) video on my PC on 1080p screen, which make huge difference in quality tbh.
    But it is impossible to play any video with higher res then 1080p on my full hd tv.

Example , connect any streaming device to full hd tv (Mi Box , Chromecast ultra hd) and try to play youtube 4k,
    same goes for Netflix , option for 4k doesnt even exist (even i have plan ). Netflix i can't stream in 4k even on my pc which handles 8k on Youtube ....

2. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    No codec support probably and/or hardware support for 4k on your TV. Maybe post the exact model of the TV that others might be more helpful.
    The difference in quality on your PC monitor is due to the higher bit rate of those 4k/8k videos .

3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Because when you play a higher resolution video on a PC, it down scales the image with the additional pixel info to produce a higher quality image. TV's and HDMI plug in peripherals usually don't have the resources available to down scale, and aren't permitted by most TV's so they can sell UHD and higher resolution displays. No one would ever upgrade if down scaling produced higher quality 1080P content.