The TITAN RTX ON SALE NOW

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Deleted member 255716, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    People keep buying them because an Instinct MI25 is $7400.

https://www.cdw.com/product/amd-rad...puting-processor-radeon-instinct-mi25/4903242

Titan has scalability limitations but it also has displayout, can play games, has faster performance, uses less power, is more than half the price, and has a massive ecosystem of CUDA applications/libraries.

You guys keep looking at this like it's a gaming card - it's not - its not even branded Geforce anymore.

2. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    please look at the history of graphics cards and try and remember the history if your old enough to do so.

Also I recommend any Nvidia fan watch AdoredTV's video on Nvidia's history
    Youtube his "AdoredTV Nvidia Anti Competitive Anti Consumer Anti Technology" Video
    (Side note Guru3D use AdoredTV for alot of their news stories)

Also just to point out to Denial I never said AMD don't take the piss ether, They where once sued for colluding with Nvidia too raise the image and price of each of their components to the value of Intel's.
    Nvidia initiated this and both parties were sued AMD had to pay the remainder of the fine.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I never said Nvidia doesn't screw customers, nor have I said that about AMD. I'm saying the Titan's pricepoint is justified considering all major brands (Intel/Xilinx/AMD/Nvidia/Etc) price their entry level professional cards several times higher than this. The Titan comes with limitations - it definitely fills a weird niche because of those limitations - but the price reflects that. It's a third the cost of a U200 accelerator and does more.. aside from scaling. Also Nvidia/AMD/Intel/etc all employ a huge amount of software engineers that work on deep learning libraries/datacenter integration/professional support/etc - those costs are reflected in the GPU pricing. Nvidia's increased it's employee count by 25% in the last two years and doubled it's R&D budget in the same amount of time - it's not like they are just hoarding all this money.

As for Adored - I don't care for his videos. He's wrong about 90% of the stuff he speculates and all he does is summarize other sites and run wild with assumptions.

BangTail likes this.
  4. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    Sigh. It is very frustrating to read what people post in this thread. This product is not targeted for PC gamers or build enthusiasts. (What I presume is the majority of posters here)
    If you're not in the target audience and - you buy such product - your choice, just don't be surprised if it doesn't satisfy your use case properly.
    If you're not in the target audience and - you're mad about the price point - Nobody cares! You're not the target audience.
    If you are in the target audience and - you're mad about the price point - don't expect it to change unless there is significant amount of people like you.

Otherwise when it comes to the price of gaming GPUs:
    They are not running a charity, they're running a business - for profit. What exactly do you expect they should do? Something like: "Nah, don't set the price that high, think about the poor gamers, we need to make sure everybody gets affordable highest tier gaming GPU." Would you do that if you were responsible for the future of the company or would you set the price point where you make the most money? Or in other words - make sure your company stays alive if something hurts your business in the future.

It's not like they are selling water that everybody needs and sucking people dry to turn a coin. It's gaming cards ffs! Nobody needs them to live, it's a luxury commodity. If the market is not there - the price won't be there either.

5. hell_knight

hell_knight Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Good option for a “not gaming rig”