Intel B365: New chipset is similar to Z170 at 22nm manufacturing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    So with wattage being the same and features being almost the same what are the benefits to even having shrunk to 14nm in the first place other than maybe getting more chips out of one wafer.

3. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I think it's about "re-using defective materials to make $$$".
    If you look at the comparision chart you see the B365 is almost a H370, but it misses wireless and 4x USB 3.1 GEN2 ports (the previous "real" USB 3.1). Could it be there were issues during production which caused a lot (or at least "a notable bunch") of those parts leaving production with a broken wireless chip and/or broken USB 3.1 Gen 2 (or probably the connection to those components), therefore they disabled those and named the result B365?

It's only my speculation, I have no proof or anything, besides I know of industries doing the same thing in different areas. For example I worked for a producer of valves for power plants and other industries (nuclear, water, oil, coal, etc.). If the built valve would fail the pressure test (every one was designed specifically for one client and one use case!), it would be recertified for a pressure it could take without blowing up. So before we wasted all the materials, we found other fields to sell it, where it was good enough and fulfilled the client's requests completely. So why shouldn't Intel do this?

But would the step from 14nm to 22nm not automatically mean you loose more in the process? I mean, with every new "shrink" we argue about how this produces less heat, is more efficient, blablabla (the usual stuff)? Wouldn't that mean if we go to bigger sizes we turn all aforementioned PROs to CONs? MORE heat, LESS efficient, etc. etc.? Just a thought ...

4. MK80

MK80 Active Member

GPU:
    RX7900xtx
    Intel and try to make your products better? Each day that passes I am more disillusioned. Every time we pay more for worse products or more for them. An i5 6600k now costing 250 euros ... on promotion.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's just to keep motherboard aviable while the shortage last... not really news.
    In other word: buy them if you really really need, unless don't buy it :) ... it will return to normal situation later in 2019.

BTW it's the same for AMD, for my HTPC shortage for Athlon G200 until january and in B450 mATX or mITX until february if lucky...

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, I'm sure it's also to improve yields too. A 22nm chip might use up more material but it's also less likely to fail. Unlike a CPU where you can just disable faulty cores or lower clock speeds, if a chipset fails, the whole thing is pretty much junk. Furthermore, the more complex the design is, the greater the probability of failure. So, by making a simplified chipset at 22nm, Intel ought to be significantly reducing waste.

This is probably the worst time you could be shopping for that particular CPU. Not only is it accidentally overclockable with MSI boards (which a lot of people find appealing) but the Intel competition has gone up in price. So, its popularity has really shot up.

7. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    No problems here in the UK - Just checked Ebuyer, they've got 24 Athlon G200s and take your pick of the motherboards :)