Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. I was referring in the main tab of latency moon this one:
    but yeah when chrome is open and some tabs the latency keeps on 54-70. but when everything close drops, also noticed in ryzen master tool when using 3.7 profile 1 latencies on main tab of latency moon software will remind 54-70 so the msi on gpu or audio didn't anything regardless of main tab latency mon, just to not share ISR
    [​IMG]

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    been comparing S1220A chip on my board with my ZxR

the S1220A sounds way better.
    could be the nahimic drivers combine with asus uwp.

my ZxR seems to be leveling voices with music. some the voices would be lower then the music. even with adjusting settings would make it worse.

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Dsbig its down to the op-amp's that creative used on the sound blaster ZXR. Mainly the JRC's that are installed in the I/V socket's on the card. When I had the ZXR, I had to swap out the JRC's my self to another pair of op-amp's to improve the existing sound signature of the card.

Of course evidently swap them both out later down the line, but in your case, you may have to swap out the JRC's. I found that I still have my op-amp notes, i just have to look them up.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  4. darkshot

darkshot Guest

GPU:
    XFX ATI radeon HD5850 XXX
    Hi everyone, would you like to know if it is better to use the audio onboard ROG SupremeFX (Asus Strix Z270F) or an X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ?
    I am facing sttuterings problems in some light games like, CSGO and PUBG, will Xfi be responsible?

[​IMG]

5. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    X-Fi be responsible? I'm assuming you mean the X-FI will be better, then using the ALC1220 (Z270F)
    I would guess the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion DSP chip has more processing power, then the Realtek ALC1220 built into the Z270F
    I would disable the Z270F's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the X-fi.

6. darkshot

darkshot Guest

GPU:
    XFX ATI radeon HD5850 XXX
    Yes, I disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS. Which driver do you recommend for Xfi?

7. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I'm an Asus sound card guy and stopped using Creative sound cards 10 year ago,
    so I do not really keep up to date (that much) on their software.
    But I do think the Creative SB-Z card is a great bang for the buck sound card.

Anyway, I would assume you would use the Creative Labs drivers.
    If you have the Creative driver disk, suggest you install that first, then update with the latest drivers from Creative's support site.
    https://support.creative.com/Downloads/welcome.aspx
    Or are you looking at using third party drivers?

8. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Would you say the old but epic Auzentech forte X-fi 7.1 would be better then onboard sound using the Z390 Asus Maximus XI hero ?

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I am 95% positive Asus mobo will sound better.

10. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Well i hope you're right haha because the Forte was a bad ass card at the time man

11. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Here is the Auztentech forte , still recommend over the Z390 Asus maximus XI HERO onboard sound ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That's a ten year old sound card competing against a modern audio solution on a high end motherboard, I'd be very surprised if it was better than the on-board.

Over the past few years the 'soundcard vs on-board' debate has become a bit more skewed in favour of on-board. Ever since the inclusion of the likes of ALC1150 (or better), on-board has been consistently better than low end and older soundcards, especially when using headphones as it quite often comes with a built in amplifier. I'm personally of the belief that if you want to genuinely upgrade from current on-board sound your best bet is looking into external solutions such as a receiver/amp + speakers or a DAC/AMP headphone setup, although I'm sure there will be some disagreement with that.

That said, if you already own the soundcard there's absolutely nothing stopping you from testing it out yourself.

sverek likes this.
  13. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

If I was to purchase the senheiser massdrop hd 6xxx would my Asus Maximus xi hero run these fine ?

14. meimeiriver

meimeiriver Guest

One word: drivers! The audio currently on my mobo is the ALC1150 chip. I'd like to get a dedicated card, but I'm hearing very bad things about crappy drivers (Windows 10), from pretty much any vendor, so that's what's currently holding me back. And I want to get a modi & magni, to go along a good card, for my Sennheiser HD 660S. But then again, yeah, drivers.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Asus and Creative have a history of piss poor product support. Personally, I've been using a FiiO K10E. Their driver support is no better, really, but it also doesn't require drivers to function. You can simply plug it in and go, unlike products from Asus and Creative. I have no intention of ever going back to an internal, dedicated audio solution.

meimeiriver likes this.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I'd say try it, if it not enough, you can buy soundcard with prebuild amp for $30.

17. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I would assume the XI Hero would drive the 300-Ohm HD6XX, but a tube headphone might be a good investment.

18. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    That is an older sound card (2009) based on an older version of the Creative Lab's DSP (Titanium series) that would come with CMSS-3D headphone surround sound
    These drivers might work with that card and Windows 10
    http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2017/01/sb-x-fi-series-support-pack-40.html
    I doubt it's going to offer any noticeable advantages over the Asus Z390 Maximus Hero on-board audio.
    Creative Labs sells for $30 software that will give you support for Creative's SBX Headphone surround sound, that works off on-board (Realtek) audio.

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It should run them just fine, see your other thread for more detailed reponses.

20. meimeiriver

meimeiriver Guest

I would say, gentlemen, that this downright sucks! At this point I'm looking at the ridiculous situation where I am unable to find any decent, internal audio card. Tsk.

So, I'm stuck with the ALC1150 then for now. Or get one of then FiiO's maybe.