TP-Link Introduces Two Powerful, Next-Generation WiFi Routers that Support New 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    $500 bucks for a gaming router, ouch. waste of money? I would like to see some reviews in how much it would improve your gaming performance in reality.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think most people buying these would be buying it for the throughput and not gaming performance.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Buying a wireless router to improve your gaming performance is like removing the muffler from your [modern] car for more power:
    It probably won't do anything at all, since it isn't usually the source of bottlenecking.

5. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    ^ This.

the more throughput the wireless bands can handle the better. With a massive number of devices in each home all running over wireless its becoming more and more important.

6. asder

asder Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    ha the explanation on the usb ports image is in reverse o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O;)

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    LOL that is funny.

8. pdegan2814

pdegan2814 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290X
    Completely and utterly useless to me until I can get 802.11ax adapters for my PCs.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Look at that thing. Looks like something you'd practice satanic rituals with.

[​IMG]

sverek and 0blivious like this.
  10. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Been waiting on a stable 160MHz router for a while now. My Mini-ITX with an Intel 9260 will connect at 1.7Mbs and it does make a significant difference. The two routers I've had so far have had issues. Failing radios, Linksys, and unstable connectivity, Netgear. Going to try the AX6000 or the Asus AX88U.

11. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I'd rather use a $50 worth of Ethernet cables and switches.

12. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    ::cringe:: more wires.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i wouldn't buy another tplink product, support is horrible.

warlord likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Think again.

one of the key improvements when you can't get a wired connection is having as few devices on a given radio as possible, AFAIK, these have dual 5Ghz AX radios's and a single N radio.

15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    True. In my case, I have more than a year to see a new firmware for improved performance and fixing some minor bugs to their best and top of the line modem-router. I feel like WTF is going on. Their forums also are like abandoned or high school's archives :p.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yep, and guess who's hardware turned up the most in the UPNP exploit thats now being used to botnet.

warlord likes this.
  17. Namtrooper

Namtrooper Member

GPU:
    1080TI
    Rather show us a benchmark of the true data transfer speeds over this new Wifi tech.

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Wouldn't it be wiser to get multiple cheap Wi-Fi access points for load balancing? And you can get better coverage with that.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't need to think again. First of all, if you're really that serious about online gaming, find an alternative to wifi. I'm well aware how fewer devices affects data transmission over wifi, but more bandwidth doesn't equal better latency. Latency is what matters most for gaming. Granted, 802.11ax routers do have a few methods to improve both bandwidth and latency, but your latency is still going to suffer as soon as you add a couple other devices to your network. This will be made even worse if not all of the devices are ax compatible. Sure, it's an improvement over previous-gen routers, but I wouldn't be surprised if the improvements in ax still aren't "good enough" for competitive gamers.

If you must have a wireless connection and you want the lowest latency possible, you're better off getting a dedicated wireless router that only your 1 PC can be connected to. At that point, I'm sure you can just grab some old 802.11n (maybe even g) router.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The alternative to wifi is EoP, and that doesn't work across circuits behind seperate rcd's.

These 'gaming' routers have a high level of control over what devices have priority for packets, also the second 5Ghz radio means you can have gaming devices behind one and phones and stuff behind the other so you don't get the issue of reflection ping spikes.