Epic Games halts development of Unreal Tournament

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    And after all those annoying dev progress vids I watched for some reason. Well, best of luck with your stupid store, Epic. lol

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Didn't they officially halt development a few months ago?

Paragon I can understand. It had a lot of potential but they put way too much time and effort into making more characters and didn't focus enough on different maps, and I personally would've liked more variation in game modes. I did feel it was a pretty original idea for a game though. It also looked fantastic while performing great, even on mediocre hardware like my own.

UT, meanwhile, was unfortunately a victim of changing trends. Although I have nothing against battle royale (back in my day it was just called "elimination" *coughs like an old man*) stuff like Onslaught and CTF gave me some of my most fond gaming memories.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Unreal Engine was named after UT or vise versa, but they were always complements of each other. To abandon UT is basically like trying to leave history in the past and just wearing a mask made from the carcass of what was once a popular franchise.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This I can sincerely sign, I may not be the very best shooter player, but getting into UT was weird... in every match there were a few players who were so good I didn't even have a chance to get to know the levels, and at some point I didn't fancy trying it out anymore. Much more than anything I was crippled by the lack of any discinction of player skill / level at the time I played it, felt like all the time you're playing a medium bot for a veteran to warm up.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Epic would argue Fortnight is one of the best video game franchises of all time.

5. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    A real shame about the RNG aspect. I haven't played it since double shotgun was the meta.

6. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Unreal T, Quake 1/2 (even Q3) still give me the creeps... I feel kinda ashamed for belonging with the privileged generations of gamers (what did I do to be favored so much?) and I pity the people who had never played these games - they surely missed a lot... Think I'll try this alteration just to see can it compare to what it was before before...

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    All I know about it is that it's popular with children and has been in BBC news about addiction....... xD

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  8. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Sad news to "old" guys like me! I'm one of those that prefers old style arena shooters, Fortnite it's not for me and i still play UT3 online with friends .

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    This was announced over on the UT forums over a year ago now, as someone who played UT2K4 competitively and had over 7000 hours in that game it is sad to see it go like this.

Never really got into UT3, felt stripped out, dumbed down, with an art style aimed at grabbing the Gears of War fans rather than pleasing the old fan base.

UT4 wasn’t going in a great direction gameplay wise either, maybe it’s for the best.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Paragon Failed because Epic did listen to scrubs. Original design with fast travel and slowdown in combat was great way to ensure commitment to battle. (They removed this mechanic and turned it into run and gun.)
    Then they F*ed up towers, minions. Lastly they redesigned cards (armor/damage mechanics) in way that it made no sense at all.
    I did quit after card update for good. Because I took their new mathematical formulas and created tables in spreadsheet.
    I could not believe level of stupidity of people who came with those changes and stupidity of those who allowed it to go forth with it.

As for Unreal Tournament. There is TOXIKK, great game, as close to origin in spirit/gameplay/mechanics as game can get. Guess what? It is practically dead. And they did everything right. This game Genre is dead for years. People try, but there are no players to attract as they want something else these days.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Toxikk is dead because it looked dead to begin with.

It looked dated might as well play ut3 then.

12. phawkins633

phawkins633 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti

Actually I was comparing the playability of Doom 2016 to the original Unreal Tournament series, not the unfinished tech test that is "UT4"..You know, finished games......Sorry if I wasn't clear on that...:)

"Uh there is a massive difference between a multiplayer competitive shooter where the gameplay loop is on average less than 2 minutes long and a single player game with dozens of hours of content."

Ummmm...duh?

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol. You acknowledge Doom 2016 is radically different than the UT series as a whole because it's single vs multiplayer, but simultaneously it seems like you're trying to say that Doom 2016 proves old games can work today? Even though, as I stated, Doom 2016 is drastically different than it's it's original counterpart and,is nothing like UT? Also you clearly weren't involved with the beta for UT4 because the entire development process and community was pushing the game towards a UT99 remake.. which was basically spear headed by the BeyondUnreal people (Brizz & Whitedragon). The movement/weapons/pacing/etc were/are finalized in the current iteration of the game. There wasn't like some last minute crazy design decisions coming down the pipeline to drastically update the direction of the game to make it anything other than an arenashooter. They were just doing maps/UI/supporting multiplayer elements, etc. So you're larger point about UT4 being unfinished and somehow that mattering is irrelevant. The pacing, movement, gamemodes, honestly the entire idea of "gamemodes" all of it needed to be completely scrapped and reworked into something interesting and original.

Traditional arenashooters are a dead genre. Want to know how I know? Because a dozen or so companies have tried and failed. Epic was able to last minute pivot an RPG about base building into a battle royale with 76 million people but Unreal Tournament 4 beta, heavily advertised due to graphics/map, barely broke 5000 people at the pinnacle of that advertising. Paragon had more people at it's death.

14. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    They didn't even bother advertising UT4, I found it completely by accident, could have been a great game but they barely worked on it even before fortnite became a hit.
    Quake Champions, that's a game that should just die the most horrible of deaths, everything about it is a slap to the face of the quake series.

I think fortnite took off so quickly because of all the problems with pubg.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    too bad, seems they just didn't want to commit to a release, its been in pre-alpha/alpha state for 4 years , cancellation is not all that surprising unfortunately.

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
  17. They could have tried a test market at least ... Halo Online only failed because Microsoft wanted it to. Look how big the forked community of it became - point is a test market in one country could have worked - or did they already do that? If they did it sure didn't get any publicity.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I read about this a day or two ago. I saw that Epic was offering a greater share to devs and I'd hazard a guess that they'll attract the abusive f2p game types, especially considering the fact that Epic's playerbase is entirely the f2p crowd. On the other hand, those guys usually have their own thing anyway. Nothing for the gamers because we're just livestock to be exploited after all. I guess their numbers show their game peaking and want to leverage the population while it's still there to make money off other games' microtransactions. I read some guys mention there are no user reviews and no word about refunds either.

They also had something about UE royalties. That could have made a difference in the previous generation. UE3 was there in what felt like every other game to UE4 being MIA for the most part.

Only Gog and Steam offer anything of value for being their customer. Heck if you're an Xbox owner, even MS of all companies tries to go the extra mile and gives you crossbuy so I can respect that.

Epic's also 40% owned by the Chinese giant Tencent so there's an instant block in my mind right there. I don't want any closed source/proprietary/Winny-the-Pooh-hating Chinese software in my PC, thanks.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't think a DRM free store will give steam the killing blow. We all know how much money companies spend on DRM on PC, and if they'd want to go with lower shares and no DRM, they could have already gone to GOG, for instance.

20. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Give Quake Champions a try, it's quite fun :)