Just Cause 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Not maxed out, it was the High preset with FXAA. The game scales higher than that so while that is still fine, it can go any higher on more capable hardware which they also demoed on an i9-9900 and GTX 1080 Ti running at 4K. On these settings the game was dropping down to the low 40s FPS with lots of action on-screen. Should be 60+ FPS though at 1440p even on lesser CPUs on the same settings so good news for me.

I enjoyed Just Cause 2 but found 3 a bit boring. The world and missions were so samey and artificial that it got dull very quickly and fun of random carnage only lasts so long. There was no real story or character developer so the gameplay felt stale after only a few hours playing it.

I’m hoping that 4 is much better. At least the world now looks more varied but visually, with the exception of the weather effects, it looks more JC 3.5 in my opinion. Hope the gameplay holds up this time round. It’s a thin format anyway but fingers crossed.

scatman839 and Undying like this.
  2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    How do you think this will perform on lower spec machines?? i played over 500 hours of just cause 2 so Im really itching to get my hands on this altho I only played around 10 hiours of JC3 due toa constant struggle with the games unoptimized piss poor performance.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I liked JC3, played around 36 hours but then my save game disappeared and i uninstalled it....
    Hope this won't happen again, i was so pissed and even tried to get a refund cause of the save game it's basically 36 hours wasted.

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    The loading times and repetitive "missions" in Just Cause 4 is a big issue.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yes, Mad Max was amazing!

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Agreed. Loved it.

7. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Preloaded it on Steam today (Dec 2) & from what I've read I can get early play in about 6 hours from now here in California (digital deluxe edition.) Have to check out the flight parts of the game like I did in Just Cause 3. You get those panoramic views from up high as a bonus while doing your mission.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

assume he is playing on pc, not sure what his rig is though. still like his videos ;p.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just Cause 2 was great, but now it's gotten ridiculous.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    3 was garbage because the story was tacked on at the last minute.

a complex grapple was a mod for jc2.

balloon lifting metal gear since peacewalker?

and little rocket jets to add a wrinkle.

All i care is that the story is decent and you meet some interesting characters over the course of the game. Beyond that i think it will be amusing to terrorize people and take over bases while everything is exploding.

its not saint row level of silly, but it is supposed to be an 80s action send off, with a plot armor main character doing crazy stuff for no particular reason. As long as that amuses me for 60 80 hours i can deal.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    First reviews are in and it seems to be a mediocre game with a lackluster story, tons of bugs and too many timed missions. The good is means to do total destruction, the sandbox elements and good graphics&sound.

I'll wait and see what the first patch fixes, then I might buy it.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, PC Gamer gave it 73% and on Metacritic is currently showing 76% from 9 reviews so that is hardly mediocre but more "above average". Mediocre/Average is 50%. Please don't use the IGN ratings system where everything that scores from 60% to 70% is deemed "average"? :p

Exactly what I was expecting but to be honest I was secretly hoping that Avalanche might finally have delivered a worthwhile story/campaign with interesting missions and characters but it seems the emphasis is still on freeform carnage and destruction in an open-world sandbox which, unfortunately, doesn't make for long-term entertainment when playing on your own.

Needless to say, I decided to go ahead and buy it anyway; it will be my last purchase of 2018. It's hard to know at this point what to expect as I loved Just Cause 2 but found Just Cause 3 to be samey and boring. Maybe it will be a refreshing antidote to the more slow-paced (but still utterly awesome) Red Dead Redemption 2?

cerebus23 likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    GreenManGaming had some VIP discounts so I picked it up via that, can't be more problematic than the third game due to publisher meddling but it'll be clear soon enough. Digital Foundry's performance test wasn't too encouraging but they did go all out and at 4k too I believe so it might not be too terrible.

Progression should no longer be a remnant of the online stuff Just Cause 3 was either and just some really tedious time challenges for upgrades and instead tied to story advancement so that's a big plus but for the rest I'll judge once I've tested the game myself. Weird taste in games though and hardened over the 90's and early 00's video game weirdness so yay? Eh it'll be fine. :p

EDIT: Hmm should be 4 hours and 30 minutes until the early unlock I think.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    cerebus23 and AsiJu like this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    To their defense I only read three reviews (nordic) which gave them around 60%. Now that I checked out Meta, it sure is over 76%.

Since you buy most games out there I'm hoping for a review from you :) Actually you should title yourself Guru3Ds own games reviewer with extra care to the technical side :p

Damn, you're right. Good tip!

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it certainly helps especially against the full Steam pricing being reduced to something more manageable, might be cheaper alternatives still as I don't have too much of a overview on third party sites but as a licensed reseller GMG is doing a pretty good job and can have some good discounts although it varies from game to game and some others might not be discounted at all. :)

Key delivery times can vary too though so that's something to note as well, this time it worked but they've been late or even ran out of keys entirely for a few games before.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'll wait for Darren's review before deciding :)

CDKeys had this for around 40 €, at least yesterday.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    --metrics-disable
    --metrics-enable
    --ignore_system_reqs
    --allow-multiple-instances
    --run-all-tests
    --run-tests
    /nolandscape
    --no-landscape
    --help
    --allow-multiple-instances
    --attach_debugger
    --dx12

The usual launch commands, Avalanche has used "--help" or "/help" for a long time now (Mad Max at least.) for their game engine so that helps cut down the searching for these.

No idea if DirectX 12 is officially supported or not, could be a engine thing but not used by the game itself for all I know.

EDIT:

--disable-crash-reporter
    --enable-crash-reporter
    --disable-send-crash-report
    --enable-send-crash-report
    --crash-report-uitype

18. G*addict

G*addict Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    Was looking forward to this but the water looks terrible in all the clips I've seen so far, even on PC high settings. Worse than JC2 or 3, it looks almost like a flat, shiny & reflective hard floor from the PS2 era.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, I was just thinking the same about the water effects while watching ACG's review of the PC version on YouTube last night. Looks to be a step back from the third and even the second game and I can't help wonder if these are all part of the "optimisations" that Square-Enix have been talking about to improve multi-threaded performance. Maybe they've changed (downgraded?) the water rendering to be more console-friendly?

I know from watching the videos that the anti-aliasing looks to be the same as the third game, i.e. barely effective at removing jagged edges even on the highest setting, and that shadows, especially those across characters, are prone to flickering. I suspect the game may be a bit rough around the edges; it wouldn't surprise me if the publisher has rushed this game out to cash in on the lucrative pre-Christmas market.

MaCk0y and G*addict like this.
  20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Something about this game just looks weird even against the earlier video previews and reviewer versions from the cutscenes to the in-game graphics and effects somehow.

[​IMG]

And that should be on max settings for PC, not my image but that is how it looks.

G*addict likes this.