Nvidia releases Titan RTX with 72 RT cores and 24 GB GDDR6 at $2,499

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    and here we go another deep for nvidia stocks ahead :p
    this 14 and 16 nm era must fade away we need more efficient and powerfull nods aka 7 and 8nm that doesn't cost a kidney :)

2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It's fine honestly, HH will give one away for the Xmas comp and i will win it np. :)

fantaskarsef and H83 like this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hilbert already "promised" me the card, sorry...:p

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sadly with no competition Nvidia can price the cards how they see fit. AMD has nothing, wait for Navi all you want but i doubt it will even hit 2080 levels let alone the cards above it (and if Nvidia release more cards since then)

Sadly though good in some ways AMD are focusing on CPU's right now, best chance for competition might come from Intel depending on how good their gpu might be, alternatively if Apple finally get in on the action. Otherwise its Nvidia all day everyday sadly

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Typical thread with those complaining about the price of a Ferrari, while commuting to work in their reliable and sensible Honda. FFS, SSDD

tensai28 likes this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  7. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    So they must use Horst Fuchs with Gunter to sell some of these for only 2500$

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Nah, if you look at pure player counts, the most popular games are often those that don't push the graphical envelope and can even run on some Intel onboard GPU's in some cases. You can add all the whistles and bells, but it won't necessarily make it a good game.

BangTail likes this.
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, PC gaming is huge when it's low spec games.

The market for high end games is much smaller, which is why i find it funny when people start talking about downgrade or parity nonsense. A vocal minority is still a minority.

I have to say that is one nice looking card, and while i would never buy one i don't think $2500 is that much money.

tensai28 likes this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i share most of the opinions on the Titan RTX that i see here. i just wanted to point out that the a.i. and big data markets are huge and growing at an incredible rate.
    if, in fact the launch availability of the RTX series was gimped in order to have wide availability at launch for the Titan RTX, well played Nvidia. except for breeding resentment of course.
    the role of this card is where the money's at, despite the price.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    nVidia has plenty of competition--why do you think they crippled the 1060? 192bit bus, 6GBs vram, no SLI support--and marked it at the same price as AMD's 480/580/590--which is superior on each of those fundamental points. nVidia wants their customers to pay more to get SLI, more ram, and a better bus, etc. But people do not have to play nVidia's game because of AMD, do they? I'd call that strong competition. But I do wish nVidia luck in selling all six (or was it 16?) of these $2500 Titanic-Sucker cards...! For every GPU sold at the $1k mark, it is likely 100 will sell at the <$300 mark. The real action commercially is in the <$300 sweet spot for discrete GPUs. Ratio is likely 300-1 when compared with the > $2k mark. I wonder how long it will take before *everyone* understands what a scam "RTX" actually is. I would guess it won't be long. People like to think that the company with the "fastest" cpu and that "fastest" *cough* GPU, according to selected benchmarks, of course, has little if any competition--and that price doesn't matter. The fact is those very high-priced tiers are not where the "competition" actually is--because of the numbers.

Many rich dudes got rich by not being stupid with their money... And they aren't going to jump on a $2500 discrete GPU to play 3d games, unless they are fairly stupid, I should think! The only things AMD needs to do to stay ahead of nVidia is stay honest--don't pull cheesy scams like "RTX"--and keep on providing more bang for the buck as we've seen with the 1060 vs 480/580/590 for the last few years. Stick to the facts, don't sensationalize, and behave and market AMD products rationally. Those are all the reasons that nVidia doesn't figure in my GPU landscape--and hasn't since 2002.

Anyway...I've heard for the last 25 years that "the PC is dead," and that "PC gaming is dead," etc.--which, interestingly enough, has never been true. Indeed, all game consoles now being sold are x86 PCs (by AMD) internally! The x86 PC has triumphed conclusively. The fact is that while people have counted 3d gaming down and out on any number of occasions, the market is far larger today than it has ever been--and it is still growing. I don't think you have to worry about it mystically just vanishing one day...;)

carnivore, Solfaur and BangTail like this.
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This is a luxury card, and like everything luxury there are diminishing returns. Why shouldn't rich people have nicer things?

Gaming is also a luxury, PC gaming even moreso.

I'm also confused by the statement that AMD is ahead of Nvidia, they aren't and that won't change until they start acting like Nvidia.

13. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I swear these cards are an internal joke for Nvidia to see how much people will pay for this and to see how much they can jack up the rest of the lineup to make them look cheap relative to this card.

Solfaur and Dimitrios1983 like this.
  14. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Nice Nvidia is doing what APPLE does with releasing products, the BREADCRUMB 101 stunt. Just a little bit at a time.

Solfaur likes this.
  15. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    This is a ridiculous statement. Pc gaming has gotten cheaper ever since it started. You can use lower resolutions and settings if you don't have the state of the art system. And for consoles, you must have not been around when new SNES game cost up to $70. Hell, I think after tax, Super Street Fighter 2 for SNES was $75 at the mall gamestore I went to. Meanwhile, whiners of today balk at paying $60 for new games that are vastly more complex than any SNES game.

BangTail likes this.

16. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Exactly; not to mention these are high end top market GPU's too. It's a little ridiculous that people are complaining about the pricing of the best GPU's on the market. If they really feel it's too much, they shouldn't be buying them in the first place and maybe should spend a little less time on these forums and a little more time improving their lives. I live in Taiwan which isn't exactly famous for having the highest salary in the world but I still can afford it and if I couldn't, you wouldn't see me on here complaining.

BangTail likes this.
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For the record, I'm definitely not the target audience for this card. Would be a bit ridiculous to run TL, TL2, DA:O or DA2 on any Titan card. I still find the prices of current gen nVidia cards to be ridiculous, regardless of "new features"....

If you have a problem with my opinion, feel free to ignore my posts. I really don't care one way or the other. I'm tired of the "my opinion means more than your opinion" mindset that seems to have infected this forum over the last several years.

How much of a difference turning down shadows makes, depends on the game. Some games, it has a rather large impact on performance. Other games, the difference is nearly unnoticeable. Some games, shadows add to the play-ability while some games, it hinders it. It's really a "game by game" feature. Not trying to argue, mind you. I enable or disable shadows depending on performance and play-ability. I also adjust settings according to perceived framerates. If the game doesn't run smooth, I tinker with settings until it does. Same as I suspect you do.

For the most part, as usual, we agree.

I post on 6 different forums. The one thing that is consistent across all of them is that people deviate from the subject matter. Not every post has to be purely about tech. When a piece of "tech" has a price tag attached to it, of course people are going to complain about pricing. Most people are completely ignorant of how much money goes into R&D of a top tier product. That doesn't mean people don't have a right to complain about pricing. Some people would prefer to complain about the price while swiping their debit card than to stay silent and go without. Personally, I find the prices of nVidia's current gen cards ridiculous. Neither the performance nor the feature set justifies the pricing. However, since people are so willing to pay the price, regardless of how they feel about it, the prices will continue to increase until sales decline as a result. While I'm not the target audience for these cards, their prices do affect the products that I am in the target audience for. As prices for "high-end" products increases, there is a trickle down effect that causes pricing for lower segment cards to increase as well. What was once the $300-400 market is now the $500-650 market if you're buying nVidia.

But, quite honestly, if you have a problem with people's opinions....even though you don't seem to have a problem posting your own in AMD threads, maybe you should log out and go improve your own life...

I only complain about the price of Ferrari's because there's a few idiots in my city that own them, and still can't drive the damn speed limit!!!! A Ferrari should NEVER be running 10mph UNDER the damn speed limit!!!!! The same can be said of the few idiots in my city that own Porsche's.... Either Porsche and Ferrari need to increase their prices dramatically, or the idiots in my city that own them need to learn to at least drive the damn speed limit!!!! Sorry.....had run-ins with a few last week that were running 10-20mph UNDER the speed limit and it really irked me cuz I almost rear-ended the Porsche cuz he was doing 25mph in a 45mph zone and cut in front of me for no reason.

18. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I think you have me confused with someone else. Can't even remember the last time I posted in one and it certainly wasn't opinionated if there was one.

Anyways, I'm gonna sign out here for a while. Been doing nothing but fighting with other users and it's pretty time wasting and tiresome. I'll come back after the forums cool down and goes back to benching and talking about new tech and all the other stuff that made this forum/site good. Right now the forums are just a bitter mess but at least Hilbert is still posting good quality articles. Maybe I'll just stick to the front page and stay away from the forums for a while.

BangTail likes this.
  19. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Dat price is far over to real value of this card nvidia is just become stoned.
    It’s even better 2800€ for litle faster 2080ti FE.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    HH will magically put any Titan's he got into a magical bag, and pull out Titans without an end to give them out to us until only his original sample is in the bag. Christmas wonder! :D

H83 and Solfaur like this.