Undervolting Question (Laptop)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by N0sferatU, Nov 30, 2018.

1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    So I have an Asus Zenbook Pro. It's the Core i7-i8750H. I noticed out of the box I hit thermal throttling within 20 seconds of running the stress test in the Intel XTU application! :p

I got it down to -150mV and ran the test for 20 minutes straight. It's holding between 75-85C without any thermal or power throttling whatsoever. The machine appears to be stable thus far. I'll continue to test it but with that said, is there any benefit of me attempting to throttle it down even further? I understand there's gains to not having any throttling but if I'm already at that point what further benefit is there to try and underclock more? :cool:

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Keep attempting up until you find your chips limit. It's a silicon lottery for a reason, some may get unstable at -100mv, while yours is already at -150mv. Afaik for that model, a sweet spot was approx -120mv area, hence, consider yourself already a lucky winner.

3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Okay I played around with it. -210mV after about 10 seconds of stress the screen just went blank. I dialed it back to -200mV it seemed stable. I ran Cinebench but got BSOD. Dialed to -180mV (didn't try 190/195) and it seems to be running fine.

The Intel XTU CPU stress does not induce any thermal or power throttling. Cinebench running I guess it's using the GPU as well and bam I do get some throttling but it's not that bad.

4. blurp33

blurp33 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090