Download: Basemark GPU 1.1 released now with added DX12 support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Ah OK, so this is how Nvidia convinces people to buy their crappy RTX cards; by making new benchmarks with raytracing integrated so everyone gets a crappy score without an RTX card.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Getting really tired of these negative out of nowhere remarks. Basemark has nothing to do with NVIDIA, the fact that they at one point will support Raytracing is called evolution, better get used to it as in a few years hardware accelerated DX-R will be a common thing in GPUs,

rl66 likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do agree, and there is sad part to it too: "in few years"

Way RTX goes around raytracing is very expensive in terms of compute requirements. That means performance or IQ sux on RTX 20X0 cards. (Understandable for 1st generation prototyping.)
    But it will quite likely became big disappointment for those investing into raytracing now as improvements on uArch level should bring great improvements. And those big improvements are needed, Otherwise raytracing will not fly.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, but we need people to spend the money and be the guinea pigs for RayTracing so it's something we all get to take advantage of in the future.

I imagine it's also something that is exciting for developers to implement, and doubt they care that alot of gamers are happy with the same dated visuals but just want higher framerates.

As for this benchmark, it doesn't even have RayTracing, it's just noted that they are looking to implement in the future :rolleyes:

I've actually never used this before, so will give me something new to test while i'm off work.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it doesn't detect my GPU system (Quadro) when on windows... it's a good starting point for someone working with NVidia ( :D lol :D ).

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Totaly Agree with you.

It would be like if we were talking about OpenGL and ATI/AMD GPU in 2010...

Working with a company doesn't mean that you will more than partner and make positive discrimination with this company. This is the most important thing for a benchmark (unless you do it once or twice and get discredited).

8. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Not a fan of Nvidia but I see a lot of hate. This Ray Tracing reminds me of my early days buying the new & game changing Geforce 3 with programmable shaders and for a short while the only way to take advantage of it was Nvidia's demos like the Chameleon but sadly by the time developers took advantage of it my Geforce 3 ti200 or whatever it was was useless and under powered.

9. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I'd like to apologize. My passion for hardware has turned sour with the out of control prices and lack of competition. I'll try to keep comments constructive and helpful in the future rather than just dump negativity into the forum.

jbmcmillan and Hilbert Hagedoorn like this.
  10. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I guess most have to admit there is a certain sting to NVidia products right now with having to pay for an expensive addition to it's silicone with RT (and Tensor but that is more obviously beneficial already) cores that 2080Ti owners often feel i not worth the framerate drop and owners of lower end RTX cards may struggle(?) to play using the feature.

2080Ti = 68 RT cores
    2080 = 46 RT cores
    2070 = 36 RT cores

EDIT: seems Medium DXR in BFV offers quite decent fps on all cards at 1080p EDIT2: turns out the Tom's HW tests were a little easy going & real world performance is somewhat lower, also Medium settings is bugged and often defaults to low Q RT.
    - although EA apparently recommends a Core i7-8700 or Ryzen 7 2700, tom's HW had to upgrade their 7700K test bench to try out RT.

It certainly is a bold move from NVidia, yet their timing is good while there is a lull if the high end GPU market as AMD builds momentum in the value sector (also a smart move tbh)

I was waiting to buy a high end AMD GPU but am not waiting till 2020+ for it to arrive especially as my Fury died...

I attempted to buy 2 different second hand 1080Ti cards, 1st was a scammer and sent no card (Paypal returned my money), 2nd sent an unstable and slightly squished card where one fan would not turn... also getting my money back.

By this point Black Friday rolled along, even in the UK these days, and I found a MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio that cost after discounts and freebies accounted for = only £585 / £746
    Actually cheaper than many of the 2nd hand better model 1080Tis I was looking at. (a 2nd hand 1080Ti Gaming X Trio is currently at £673 / $858 with 3 days bidding left for example)

Personally I am feeling the extra RT Cores will help bring some usable extra Quality of Life features over an older 1080Ti in the long run, certainly DLSS looks good on the tensor cores.
    Looking forward to seeing what else NVidia bring to the table with their new goodies. They certainly seem to have a history of managing to bring improved features / use on their hardware as time moves on.

Well, I am certainly not unhappy with all this for cheaper than a second hand 1080 Ti :D

(Still really excited to see what AMD bring to their chipleted high end GPU offering in 2020ish)

...now if only there was something that I could try the RT with... (BF V is still probably not an option due to nightmarish problems some have encountered trying to update windows enough to allow it to enable RT, think I will leave that update a week or so yet)

So benchmarks it is! to be able to use my new card is it lol ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018