MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming vs GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 Gaming ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A Stranger In The World, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Hello everyone, sorry for long topic but please read it carefully.

I need someone with a good experience to tell me if the GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 Gaming is REALLY worth it over the MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming. (price difference is small)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-graphics-cards,4725-6.html

According to this review (can't find more accurate and detailed one more than this), what i have known till this moment about the G1 Gaming that it has so bad cooling (please check temperatures), while i'm leaving in a very hot country (Egypt) at summer times (usually temperature is 38-39.c at day times (26-27.c night times), at shadows [​IMG], under the sun its more than this), so i need to get a very powerful GPU with a good cooling to last much longer years at 1080p gaming, because i don't do much upgrades, I was going to buy the MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming, but now G1 Gaming is available with a little price more, i said to myself, why not getting it while the price difference is not that much, but also the cooling is very bad.

And now i'm in a big confusion between those 2, the MSI one really offers a decent cooling, average temperature is 65-68.c, while its very high with G1 Gaming (can reach 85-90 according to the previous review).

Some people before helped and said: just undervolt the GPU, which will decrease the heat output, I Googled for more info, I think that also will reduce the performance too, while the performance difference between 1070 ti and 1080 is just 10 fps as an average in gaming, while the temperature is high, resulting in not fully boosting the GPU as it will get throttled, and then affecting performance, that's my own perspective i concluded, don't know if that is right or not, but it delivers me to choose the MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming more than the G1 Gaming, even the review i just included above doesn't seem to encourage getting the G1 Gaming 1080 (Bad Cooling, Noise, Bad Design).

HINT: There is MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X in my country available besides the G1 Gaming, but its highly overpriced that i can't afford, no other brands available here except those 2 only.

Here i have a couple of questions:

(1) What do you think about my own conclusion i just made? is it logical? go with MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming as a better option?

(2) That's in general, in which condition of temperature, GPU manufacturers are testing their GPUs?

Thanks in advance.

2. Any help please ??

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Hello A Stranger In The World. I actually had the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 and I don't recalled seeing such temperatures. Also Guru3D has a review of both exact cards below.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING review

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming review

I also live in a hot country in the Mediterranean, although I admit it's a few degrees cooler than yours.

I must add that if I recall correctly, the cooler on the G1 was hitting high fan rpm's which was fairly noisy in high fan speeds. *need to double check this

From that Tom's review the GPU temperature running Metro 4K and Furmark is about 68-69'C since the graph below show it's below the 70'C mark.

[​IMG]

And the high temperatures that you mentioned(80-90'C) I believe are not the actual GPU core temperatures but for the VRM and a hot spot on the card that is fixed with the backplate that it's included.

Naked(no backplate):
    [​IMG]

With the backplate:

[​IMG]

Very acceptable temperatures I would say with the backplate installed but I must say that in such a hot climate and I presume a very hot room without an Air conditioner or a floor fan or something, when gaming you will be force to run high fan speed(80-100%) with any air cooled GTX 1080 card, no matter how good the cooler is.

Also 4K Gaming like the Metro 4K temperature results shown above, heat the card more than 1080P gaming. Example, gaming at 1080P 60FPS vs 4K 60FPS with same graphic settings and same gpu clocks, the 4k 60FPS will make the card hotter.

Are the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING and MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming the only two cards available to buy(not overpriced as mentioned)?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  4. First of all thank you so so so much for your detailed and really informative clarification to me, but sorry i still have to ask for just 1 more thing, sorry for that, but because of my poor knowledge as its my 1st GPU i'm getting, i actually have multiple questions here to ask:

1. Does the backplate plays a role in cooling the GPU or its just some kind of Aesthetics ??

2. If so, is the final temperatures (65.c) is really the correct ones?? so i don't need to worry about overheating problems??

3. According to your words about G1 Gaming, its maybe noisy, about temperatures i still have no idea, so personally do you recommend the G1 Gaming for me??

About the available cards, yes they are the only available options, for 1080 only 2 brands available, the G1 Gaming and MSI Gaming X.

About the 1070 ti, there are some other brands too, the MSI titanium one which is the same like Gaming but only different colors (maybe the titanium just 1 degree less), also available GIGABYTE Gaming and GIGABYTE AORUS.

About prices, here you are:

GIGABYTE 1070 ti Gaming = GIGABYTE 1070 ti AORUS = MSI titanium = GIGABYTE G1 Gaming 1080, all those are almost with same prices, the MSI 1070 ti Gaming is cheaper by like 40$ as an average.

EDIT: Some other brands too available:
    - ZOTAC GTX 1070 ti AMP Extreme, a little cheaper than MSI Gaming by 15$ average, and also MSI GTX 1070 ti duke, cheaper than MSI Gaming by like 15$ too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2018
    Koniakki likes this.

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Don't mention it. Feel free to ask anything that may concern you. That's how we all learn.

Out of all of those 1070 Ti's, personally I would consider the MSI Titanium and AMP Extreme, especially if you can get that Zotac 5 year warranty(3years + 2years if registered) in Egypt.

Now again back to OP's main question as to if the GTX 1080 G1 Gaming is a worthy/viable option over those two above GTX 1070 Ti in a high room temperature environment.

I would say that any of the three cards will do just fine but I would like to see if any other members could provide any more additional info on this.

The GTX 1080 G1 Gaming is the faster card vs the mentioned 1070Ti's but to be honest at 1080P@60FPS gaming I don't think you will notice the difference.

With that said either MSI 1070 Ti Titanium or Zotac 1070 Ti AMP Extreme will provide the same game experience in 1080P@60FPS while not have to worry much about temperatures.

Btw I have a longer/more detailed post in the spoiler below if you would like to read it. It also includes two videos showing the G1 Gaming running at high % fan speeds, which is similar to what I remember when I had it.

1. Well, I would say a minor role with a few exceptions like the G1 Gaming. But it can help with the card's structure support and as with the case of G1 Gaming in that Tom's review, it can help eliminate hot spots by using thermal pads between the gpu and backplate. So besides being used for aesthetics, as said it can possibly help with structural support and rigidity, especially in higher end cards.

We are about talking powerful higher end cards. E.g a 1050Ti usually shouldn't need/benefit from it since it shouldn't get that hot and does not draw much power.

And there's no reason really to focus too much on the backplate to be honest, but if a buyer is buying a powerful and expensive gpu(example: GTX 1070 and above) I would expect the card to have one at least.

2. Yes but keep in mind that most reviewers are testing with a 20-22'C room temperature. So a 37'C room temp will make the card about 15'C hotter. Not calculating the fact that the card will increase its fan rpm to compensate for the temperature increase. So a card at 65'C/1500rpm fan speed with a room temp of 22'C vs a 37'C room temp at same 1500rpm speed will be about 78-80'C. Temperature increase should scale up very close to linearly but some factors can affect that. Humidity is one of them.

While you mentioned 38-39'C which is similar to about the max summer temp(40'C) we also have here, usually room temps are lower than than outside temperatures since houses have some sort of insulation Also the room temp is the base temp of which your system will operate. So as an example the MSI GTX 1070Ti Titanium is 65'C/41% fan speed@1031rpm with at 22'C. If we increase room temp to 37'C the card should be at 78-80'C/41% fan speed@1031rpm.

That is with using just 41% fan speed(1031rpm). Even if just using auto fan speed the rpm/fan speed will increase to compensate for the temperature target/limit(assuming using MSI Afterburner set to 85'C temp limit) or even better using manual fixed fan speed or a manual fan curve, temperatures should be lower than 80'C as mentioned above.

Edit: While gaming at 1080P gaming with Vsync on(60FPS) temperatures will be even lower than what reviews are reporting.

And also we must take into consideration that in a room temp of 37'C without the PC running, while gaming it will be higher that 37'C since the PC will pump out additional heat. Possibly 1-2'C more at most.

So to recap. I would suggest if possible:
    a. using a floor/ceiling fan if possible in such high room temperatures at summer. But I'm sure that only for extreme summer days.
    b. make sure you have sufficient/good case airflow

3.Honestly, I cannot say. The GTX 1080 G1 Gaming is the faster gpu but I don't personally like that cooler. But it might be enough for the hot summer days and I'm sure besides summer, it will be fine for the rest of the year. Also people online mention fan problems with the G1 Gaming.

Also here are 2 Youtube video showing the G1 Gaming fan noise at high % fan speeds.

On the other hand I believe the MSI's twin frozr cooler in Gaming/Titanium is better and quieter vs G1 Gaming cooler. And it's possible to overclock the MSI's at usually GTX 1080 level of performance and temps/noise will be same/similar like a stock G1 Gaming cooler.

The Zotac GTX 1070 ti AMP Extreme is a beast of a card and imo has the best cooler and performance especially out of the box and I'm familiar with that huge and heavy cooler(similar to the 980Ti AMP Extreme I had). But even if you didn't mention if noise bothers you, the 1070Ti AMP Extreme cooler is little noisy even at idle from looking online reviews since it does not future fan stop/zero RPM/passive mode and uses an aggressive auto fan curve.

Also I would position the Gigabyte 1070 ti AORUS and MSI GTX 1070 ti DUKE below the Gaming/Titanium and AMP Extreme in terms of stock cooling efficiency. And to be fair I don't know how all cards perform at 100% fan speed vs each other so I can only go with what I know from personal experience or from online reviews I read which indicate that.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  6. Thank you so so much for this detailed and really good clarification, i don't know actually how to thank you about all this information you helped me about :) :)

Regarding the ZOTAC AMP Extreme, maybe its cooler as i read from online reviews, but it consumes so much power, very big and very noisy as i know before about, while i'm living in a hot country so that will be noisy all over the time because of the high temperatures here.

I have enough PSU to handle it and also a big case to fit in, not a problem in that, the problem will be with noise.

PSU: BitFenix Formula 750w 80+ GOLD.
    Case: Cooler Master MB511 with 2 front intake fans and 1 rear exhaust (included with), in case if you need to know about fan models: its 2 x Cougar Turbine 120mm fan at front.

About MSI titanium, its typically the same performance and same everything else with MSI Gaming, just different in colors, both of them have decent cooling (65.c and 66.c), titanium is better by just only 1 degree less and 1 fps more i think, i don't think that will care much here, not worth it because actually nothing additional to gain from, if i pay more for it, then its a waste of money, even not worth for AMP because its very noisy even more the G1 Gaming, 15$ less for more noise, MSI GPUs used to be so quiet even under load, so i think MSI Gaming is the best option among all 1070 ti's.

As its my 1st GPU to get, i don't know how will the noise look like, some people feel no problem with, some others not, however, i don't want my GPU to be noisy at all, i don't know how to explain this because my english is not that good, but i don't like to hear continuous sound coming from anything around for a long time.

Regarding the G1 Gaming 1080, to be honest with you, i have read customer reviews about it at Amazon site, many people complained from fan defects and failures mostly, some noise and coil whine sometimes, according to your videos about G1 Gaming it looks a little noisy to me at higher RPM speed starting from 80%, extreme summer days usually take months not just few days, last summer it was more than 3 months (37-38.c), even before the summer time starts.

Well, conclusion based on online reviews, your really nice clarifications and videos, and my own needs, it looks like that MSI 1070 ti Gaming is the best option in terms of decent cooling, good design, less noise and quieter even under load, better overclock, while the G1 Gaming maybe not bad at cooling but also not good, besides fan defects i just mentioned about, however, i'm still not sure from that option to go with (MSI Gaming 1070 ti) , but what i'm sure from is that you provided very nice clarification and really good effort that i will never find in any other place, so i would like to thank you more and more again for your help, for your time, your effort and for everything else i forget to thank you about.

My Regards :) :)

Koniakki likes this.
  7. I hope for other people to check this topic and share their experience about GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 Gaming please.

8. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    A Stranger In The World whatever card you end up getting, it would be great if you could share your experience and thoughts when you get it. And possibly throw in some performance and temperature numbers too. :)

I'm probably nitpicking here but I must clarify just to provide a more accurate information, that MSI Gaming and Titanium have slightly different cooling solutions even if they look similar. Okay it has only 1 extra heatpipe, but I'm quite sure that can be classified as different. :p

MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
    [​IMG]

MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also this can possibly be within margin of error or based on slight different ambient testing temperature(e.g 20'C vs 21'C) in Guru3D review but the main reason I recommended the Titanium over Gaming is because it achieved 1'C less with less fan rpm/speed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  9. Yeah i know about Titanium that it has 1 extra heat pipe, its good thing to have 1 degree less with a less fan speed, however, its like 40$ more in price than the Gaming, it comes with the same price as G1 Gaming 1080, i don't think it is worth the extra money for 1 degree less only, but anyways i'm getting it only if i find it someplace with same price like Gaming.

Whatever the GPU i'm getting yes i will be happy to share my experience here with, but to be honest, its going to be winter time very soon here, average temperature right now is 22-25.c day time, and its 17-18.c night time, so i will share my experience based on current temperature and then next summer will share my experience under high temperature.

Again calling other people here in the forum to come and check this topic, and to share their experience about G1 Gaming 1080.

10. arel77

arel77 Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 EVGA
    i would go with the 1080 depending on cash

11. JJcraze30

JJcraze30 Guest

GPU:
    ati
    Im sure either of those cards would be really neat to have and that you could play todays games at high settings. Im so use to low settings

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Playing Battlefield 5 on ULTRA SETTINGS with i5 7500 with Ballistix 8 + 4 GB RAM@3200MHz on 2560 x 1080 monitor @144Hz.
    ..... without stuttering.
    ----------------------------------------
    All depends......upon bucks you have añd consistentwise:cool:
    ----------------------------------------
    Grab the RTX 2070!!!!!!! (For now)
    or
    Wait

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018