Microsoft blocks Windows 10 October 2018 Update (Again)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2018.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Windows as a disservice™

Exodite likes this.
  2. Carnoustie44

Carnoustie44 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 2080
    you guys are full of chit, without Microsoft where do you think PC computing would be and don't say better off because that is just stupid :)

3. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    I can confirm there was something wrong with the version of 1809 that was available via media creation tool earlier this week. On my workstation (Msi X399 Creation board), 1803 and 17xx installed fine but a clean install of 1809 caused a BSOD on first boot, possibly because of intel network drivers (per info on the Msi forums). Sounds like the common issue here is intel drivers and 1809...

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's the problem, they have the monopoly and they know it, if there was competition they would step up their game

carnivore likes this.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You know, being an extremist on either side is bad. THIS particular issue I see as a GOOD thing. The OS SHOULD block installs if there is a INCOMPATIBILITY. That some are framing this as a FLAW to attack MS seems rather silly. There are of course problems which I have complained loudly about so I'm not some blind fan boy. Neither am I some hater that takes EVERY issue and frames it as compete and utter failure by MS. It's counter productive.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you mean w/o Gates appropriating work of someone other? There would probably be few other companies making commercial OSes.
    UNIX OSes would do just fine. Linux would probably be mainstream gaming OS 10 years ago or longer. Users would be more skilled as result.
    People would have no need to discus and speculate about invasion of privacy as that's under control on linux.

And so on...

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Honestly I wouldn't be so quick to make that judgment.

It would have been quite interesting to see what the home computing landscape would look like today in other scenarios, like
    • What if OS/2 had really taken off and displaced Windows?
    • What if Apple had been an actual competitor and companies like Commodore and Atari had still been around to offer competing solutions today?
    I'm not saying we would necessarily be better off but it's certainly not unthinkable, as the lack of real competition for home computing platforms is unlikely to have done much good in the long run. As computer enthusiasts we're quick to lament the results of lackluster competition in the hardware space (Re: Intel/Nvidia vs. AMD for recent examples) and just because we have had any real competition in the OS space since the early 90s doesn't mean the same reasoning doesn't apply there.

Heck, AmigaOS 3.1 is by far the best OS I've used and I'd rate its 25 year old incarnation way higher than I would any "modern" OS.

ManofGod and Fox2232 like this.
  8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You believe this single 3rd party driver is the real cause for yet another shutdown of the rollout?

Naive my friend, and tbh you are fairly Pro-MS, you jump in most times anyone says something bad about them

airbud7 likes this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    just wow,

I now told everyone i know to block feature updates from windows, this rediculous

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I will not take any side to this.

But anyone with basic knowledge of informatics and computers can safely assume the nearest a code or a complete program to human is, the less responsibility for any serious incompatibilities has.

The one to blame is not clear here. Programming wise is driver's fault as it loads before the ability for human to communicate with the os. On the other hand the os maintainers and developers should have blocked any destructive installation and hardware usage or pull back the distribution of either os version or driver from windows updates.

Microsoft has only a third of responsibility. The other thirds are equally distributed to both user and device manufacturer.

I hate that everyone says customer or user is always right. It is BS. No one could ever be cautious enough.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I wouldn't fault the user much here ... who rushes to update the intel graphics drivers? :p WU also takes care of old drivers by force so there's not much room left for that crowd. I'd blame the manufacturer if windows 7, 8.1 and older versions of 10 were affected and that doesn't seem to be the case. But anyway, meh :p 2017 and 18 versions have been a bad joke so far.

airbud7 and Extraordinary like this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Lot people would, sadly as proven other people would know better, it was probably another "issue" the deletes things haha

Extraordinary likes this.
  13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D With their track record lately, nothing would surprise me

It's all just heresay, they say it is one thing, people will believe whatever suits their views, myself included, but my views are born from MS recent/not so recent history of fairly serious issues that affect a lot of people negatively and their attitude towards it

14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    No Intel display here so no issues.

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This case is the Intel crapware.. ehm Intel driver team fault. And that's not the first time. Intel driver quality sucks, just little example: last Ethernet driver lost dedicated driver settings in the device manager (eg: low latency interrupt settings are missing).

16. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
  17. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    sounds like an Intel problem not a m$ problem.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This is definitely on Intel because it is their job to test their drivers to make sure they work properly. It seems like Intel failed to do Quality Assurance with this.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I was going to say then you get a grey screen, but yes, you might get coffee first. Bad Tim Horton's/dirt flavoured coffee.
    Here's a fact: MS force updates now, so yes, it is their fault.

20. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    If this is an Intel problem why the same problem is not appearing on older Windows 10 and previous Windows versions ?? If its an Intel problem then its Intel who needs to withdraw their drivers not Microsoft their Windows :p