Valve Stops Selling Steam Link - no longer for sale

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    This is sad news, but expected. I absolutely love the device. Having 2 of them and regularly using them to game/using desktop for Netflix and whatnot in my living room or my hobby room. Both devices wired connected and PC is on the attic. The app is interesting and is working, but it depends heavily on your 5Ghz wifi and device. Also most Android TV devices don't cut it. For that the Nvidia Shield is almost mandatory. (Imagine the Steam Link app coming to the Nintendo Switch since it has the same SoC as the Shield ;) )

Despite for some games not working correctly I'm having alot of fun with it and will continue to do so. The device has seen some great support and hopefully will remain. Post a problem or bug onto the main SL forums and a beta version will be released soon. Thanks for all of that. And a special thank you to "Slouken" on the SL discussion forums for taking care of our small but loved device.

StewieTech and Izi Cheeseborn like this.
  3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I have one too, it cost me, i think....2 bucks? It was on 95% off. Its a shame, its such a handy little device, really useful.

Keitosha likes this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand any internet box can stream Steam with the app... useless then the sale stop.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I don't understand the outrage on the Steam forums. I bought one, used it a few times, gave it away to a friend, who himself wasn't pleased. As far as I'm concerned it was garbage to begin with.

6. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    The gadget is cool but there is no point in having it anymore since I can just download a steam link app on my tv and use it the same way.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    They never really updated it with functionality steam really has , like configurable buttons, controllers etc. such a shame.

8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    They sure are ditching this quickly in the U.S. as they just crammed the ad down my throat when logging into STEAM about an hour ago....

hoping for a 4K+ capable system here in the near future. Should be hot on the heals of it all after this box's run and their failed system of course. Though didn't that bring us STEAM big picture?

Still awaiting a TV with the G/free sync built in so i can get one for my theater and have it hooked up to the DeskStar as well!!

9. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    And I always wanted an steam link box, got an nvidia shield instead a year ago. 4k + HDR, never bothered to get an steam link after that. Nvidia shield is the best box out there for all of the goodies ;)