Nvidia acknowledges issues with GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 15, 2018.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Such is life.

*stares off into the distance*

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hmm, I'm almost glad that EVGA just denied my stepup to the 2080Ti XC at this point. I'm so over the 20 series, especially after seeing the BFV RTX numbers. Give me 7nm 30 series with 50% or more improvement over 1080Ti.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Very true.

What bothers me is that nvidia made a pretty good card with the 10xx series - they could've ridden that curve for another year.

Those pesky shareholders - they always want more, eh?

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It's amazing how many *facts were generated in this thread by two sentences from Nvidia. :p

yasamoka likes this.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    good they managed to firgure it out and acknowledge it, means that people will get proper replacements.

Too often people get burned by stuff like this being swept under the rug.

Say what you will about Q&A , given how much more complex these cards are compared to previous generation, I can see why something like this can happen quite easily.

6. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    "It just escapes."

7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I still don't get all the negativity. If Nvidia was ignoring the issue, I would understand but they aren't. It's not like failing cards and RMA'ing is anything new. That's the whole point of a warranty. If you ask me, people need to chill out. It's only a few cards affected and if you happened to get one of those cards, send it in. No need to stretch this out into something bigger than it is.

8. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    I think they knew about it Shame !!!

9. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    What? You do realise the RTX launch already happened many weeks ago?

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080

11. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    You obviously have never worked in engineering, or QA, been involved in Six Sigma projects or manufacturing plant management. This IS a big deal. Engineer here with Six Sigma black belt with tons of product launch and product design engineering, and people would lose their jobs for something like this at each and every place I've worked.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not at nVidia. They exist because they did cut all corners they could with Riva 128. And it was not last time.

13. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Sorry I fail to see what that has to anything that I wrote. Doesn't affect me in the slightest as a consumer nor does it explain the negativity.

14. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    Because I think I read too much the word negativity:

It isn't about technological negativess, we are not mormons, nor we are "insert-your-beloved-brand" hooligans, we are pc enthusiasts and we are critic with the industry, that's why we read reviews, opinions and talk about them.

If someone needs to justify its decisions to feel better, then don't blame who actually try to understand and learn about technology.

And, personally, I don't want that any company tells me what I can do or not with my computer, or gaves me the only option to pay more and more everytime, thats why I still use an PC instead of a Mac.

About the problem with the cards, everyone talked about them been over-engenieered and Nvidia is selling their FE premium priced, so I hope it is an odd case, because their FE is becoming to look like a marketing strategy oriented only to improve profits and not to get a better product (for shure, nothing points towards an improved customer experience).

In my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Compensation are you serious? Nvidia is replacing all the defective cards with no questions asked. They even shipped mine next day air and included a prepaid shipping label to send my old one back to them next day air.
    They're also under no obligation to share with you how many cards are defective. Just like any other product sold in the world, there are going to be units that are defective and as long as the company is replacing them within the warranty period that's all they're obligated to do.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Couldnt help think of this thread the moment I saw this article.. :D
    Mercedes-Benz recalls model year 2019 vehicles with powertrain issue - holy dog sh!t... poor QA and cutting corners at MB! I want compensation!

17. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Anybody with a job is at risk inflicting pain on someone else, whether its mental or physical.
    The real challenge is figuring out who in a business is doing it on purpose for the extra buck.

As a human, it's about integrity. Admitting ones faults and making them right and Nvidia is doing just that.

Humans aren't perfect, that's why we are slowly replacing ourselves with robots!

We now live in a world where we expect other humans to be as perfect as the computers in front of us.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  18. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Maybe right now, but they were very dodgy past several weeks.

One thing is to have defective card that you have to deal with, but completely another story is when you have to deal with dodgy customer representatives that gave you false informations and promises about dates and actions that they are not honoring, that's part that is absolutely unacceptable, and that's exactly what was happening to many.
    And for Turing cards there is no excuse given that nvidia pretty much doubled card costs and its not because of some sudden component costs increase.

19. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Same here, they have been very quick and responsive with my RMA and advance shipped my replacement before sending the bad card back.
    I dont think ive ever had another tech company do that unless ive specifically requested it, paid extra, or put down a deposit of some sort. While the card going bad is frustrating, im happy with the way they are dealing with my case, and it will litterally be a couple of days down time - thats all!

BangTail and Noisiv like this.
  20. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Ok you are the only one then. Go buy their stock with your "positivity".